'15 GT or wait for Focus RS?

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Hockey, I am in the same boat as you. The only difference will be Ecoboost Mustang or Focus RS. (or possibly Camaro?) Hopefully the NAIAS will answer all my questions. Just gotta hold off for another month or so. I am in no rush either as I still have to sell my current vehicle(retail/private party) as my down payment.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If it's anything like the Focus ST, it will be slower and more expensive than Mustang. I remember a couple of years ago I was shopping and I drove an ST. It was fun, but slower and about $2k more than the V6 Mustang I owned at the time.

I didn't like the seats either. They seemed built for little people.

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
BECAUSE RALLY CAR!!! If this car is priced at all reasonably it may make me reconsider the Mustang. And if it's at all available.
I really don't expect this car to be out of this world crazy expensive. I mean it's obviously going to be more than the top model ST but I will be shocked if it touches 40k. Anyway, I don't like speculating much because at this point that's all anyone is doing. Again, I know I'm potentially playing with fire here on a Mustang forum but I have great love for both rides. As different as they may be.

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
Hockey, I am in the same boat as you. The only difference will be Ecoboost Mustang or Focus RS. (or possibly Camaro?) Hopefully the NAIAS will answer all my questions. Just gotta hold off for another month or so. I am in no rush either as I still have to sell my current vehicle(retail/private party) as my down payment.
I keep telling myself I'm not in a rush either ha but the more I research this Stang the more I want to be behind the wheel. I don't know how much longer I can tolerate that damn Chevy Cruze but it is what it is for now. The Camaro changes are intriguing to me as well but I still believe I'll end up with a blue oval in the driveway at some point. Nice to see someone else is of the same mindset as me, I'm not crazy haha. Looks like we're both looking forward to NAIAS this year, I haven't been in years but I'm definitely going this time around.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
If it's anything like the Focus ST, it will be slower and more expensive than Mustang. I remember a couple of years ago I was shopping and I drove an ST. It was fun, but slower and about $2k more than the V6 Mustang I owned at the time.

I didn't like the seats either. They seemed built for little people.
If I had one gripe with my ST it would be the overall speed. I knew going into it that I wasn't going to be blowing the pants off everything around me but I felt it was very good for my first ever turbo car. I got over the lack of speed with the boost in handling but now I want both, which I think the RS or GT can handle.

As far as the seats, there have been lots of talks about them around the forums but I'm 5'7" and about 145lbs so being a smaller guy they were simply perfect. I won't even consider a car without Recaro seats now. The EB Stang I drove had cloth Recaro seats and I loved em.

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
Recaro's aren't made for fat people or bodybuilders. If you are either then Recaros are not for you.

Ford could knock this out of the park with 350+hp, forged internals and a good torque vectoring AWD system (and good pricing).

If they can blow away the STI and the Golf R they can own the segment. There are a vocal number of previous STI owners who want a hatch or wagon and no one offers it except VW (next year) and hopefully Ford.

A Focus RS does not compete with the Mustang it's an entirely different category of car. There are just a few of us that look at performance and $$ regardless of package.

I love my RWD convertible but it has limitations, inclement weather driving and storage capacity being the two obvious ones.

It has positives as well of course.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
The RS will come and it will be AWD. Ford even admitted to working on a new AWD system for the car. Remember, this is not new to FOrd. The RS has been THRIVING in Europe now for some time. A tweak, here, a tweak there, and BAM ! US market time.

The ST is doing well. Trust me, it will be limited because Ford wants to see if they have a market for it. If the car sells well, it will be here to stay. Just think of it as this.

Focus (V6/EB
Focus ST (GT)
Focus RS (GT500)

Works for Mustang........why not for the Focus ?

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Recaro's aren't made for fat people or bodybuilders. If you are either then Recaros are not for you.

Ford could knock this out of the park with 350+hp, forged internals and a good torque vectoring AWD system (and good pricing).

If they can blow away the STI and the Golf R they can own the segment. There are a vocal number of previous STI owners who want a hatch or wagon and no one offers it except VW (next year) and hopefully Ford.

A Focus RS does not compete with the Mustang it's an entirely different category of car. There are just a few of us that look at performance and $$ regardless of package.

I love my RWD convertible but it has limitations, inclement weather driving and storage capacity being the two obvious ones.

What are the numbers for the Euro-spec version? I imagine they will be pretty much the same over here, but I don't know that. It will use the same EcoBoost engine from the Mustang, so presumably over 320 HP, and possibly (probably?) with some more heavy-duty internals to handle the inevitable extreme tuning.

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I have looked at this pic often and if it's anything like this it'll make my decision very tough...

If it looks like this, has a good AWD system, pushes 320 - 350hp and handles every bit as fantastic as it is said to handle, then I would absolutely get this over a Mustang GT. No question in my mind.

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
What thing is pretty BadAss looking, and if I were smaller, It would sure be worth a test drive for sure. I just don't have enough room in a Focus, especially for long trips.

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
Yeah I really like the look of this rendering. I just don't know if I'll be able to pass it up if it looks like this. Faster and better handling than the already great ST? I'm in, but damn these mustangs look phenomenal with the 20" wheels. I may just have to buy one and save for the other. Auto show can't get here fast enough.

I could see how larger people wouldn't like the focus much, it can feel cramped but I'm smaller so it's just right for me. Seeing that massive hood on the Mustang I drove was pretty different but in a good way.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I love the idea of the RS, especially if it has 320+hp and the rumored performance AWD system, but I don't know that I could choose that over a mustang. I just love mustangs too much. If I chose another performance car over the mustang it would be something like a viper or some other expensive option.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I agree with a lot of what you posted. A 400 hp AWD car sounds like fun - more grip the 6 snowy months out of the year. :) Also the photos posted look great!

I'm not a body builder or fat. I do lift weights here and there but my frame is too large for the modern Recaros I've tried. I'm 6'4" 230 - hardly a giant. Too bad they can't leave a little more room.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Interesting car comparison...I actually figured the RS coming here would without a doubt be AWD. It's a car DNA characteristic. I think you'll need to drive a GT to get a feel for the sight lines and experience. It would be such a big change from the RS. Those cars are impressive in their own right. However the size difference must be experienced rather than analyzed on paper specs. You can drive either in the snow with the appropriate tires. After a Mustang test drive, maybe it will be easier to compare. Good luck with your decision!
Sponsored