'15 GT or wait for Focus RS?

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
To me though, the RS being AWD should factor into your decision. Who wants to wait on their hands for a souped up Focus ST (FWD)? If they won't do AWD then you might as well invest in modding a Focus ST or get a Mustang GT.
Ahh I see your point, didn't quite view it that way but kinda makes sense.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
If you're shopping for a Ford RS, you may as well look at a VW Golf R. Both cars are similar and we all know Golf R is AWD.
While I respect the Golf, I don't find the styling all that appealing. Mustang GT would look far better to me and even the ST I like more. I'm pretty much only looking at the Mustang and RS.

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
I went from an STI hatch to an M3 not the same as an ST to Mustang but comparable to a degree. As you said it's an apples versus oranges comparison but one that some are making.

You can get by with good performance all-seasons on the RS (assuming AWD) depending on where you live. In a heavy snow area you need winter tires.

For RWD you need winter tires.

I'm interested in what Ford will announce for the RS and I want to see the pricing of the GT350 and the next Camaro. I'm not in a hurry.

As to pricing I expect the RS to start at $32k-$34k if AWD and top out at $40k. A GT spec'd how I want is $44k so it would be cheaper for me, more practical and easily tuned.

You'd lose out on style and the sound of a V-8 (if buying a GT).

A performance hatch or wagon is a great swiss-army knife, you have handling on par with a coupe or sedan, similar performance with a great deal of practicality. The only thing you lose out on is a coupe style/sexyness. Just depends on what is important for you.
I made it through one of the worst winters on record last year with all seasons on my ST but I have no idea what to expect from a 435hp RWD car (GT in this case) but winter tires seem to be the consensus. I'm just tired of staying away from sexy V8 cars because of snow.

But you're right, performance hatch cars are very versatile. I know the GT350 will be way out of my price range but I'm slightly curious what the Camaro will do.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
The engineers do it all the time. The Flex, Explorer, Taurus, Fusion, and Escape are FWD vehicles with 4WD/AWD options. Just another day at the office for them. :ford:
I agree, but afaik the Focus in any trim is not offered as AWD as an option anywhere. Stuff like that usually has to be planned for in the design phase.

Just does not seem like a likely scenario for such a niche based car unless they planned on rolling out AWD to the rest of the Focus lineup at some time in the future.

But then again... VW did it with the Golf R. And if you look at the price for the Golf R, it starts at damn near 40k. That is 15k more than a base GTI. One off niche stuff like that costs money.

So I say again, if we see an AWD Focus RS it will be in the 40k territory... and I will be in line to buy one.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
I agree, but afaik the Focus in any trim is not offered as AWD as an option anywhere. Stuff like that usually has to be planned for in the design phase.
I agree, I don't see it being as much of a value as the ST. But since Ford is going global with their performance, the RS team is now in the same building, so to speak, as the ST team...so design won't be an issue because they've already done it in Europe. The current Focus is the European chassis anyway, if I recall, so I'm betting the AWD design is already there.

Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I agree, I don't see it being as much of a value as the ST. But since Ford is going global with their performance, the RS team is now in the same building, so to speak, as the ST team...so design won't be an issue because they've already done it in Europe. The current Focus is the European chassis anyway, if I recall, so I'm betting the AWD design is already there.
The design is never the issue, it CAN be done. What I am saying is that it doesn't make sense financially to redesign an entire car for one niche model. If AWD was a consideration and something they planned for when designing the current generation Focus then maybe it will happen. But if AWD was never a consideration, then I imagine there are some pretty significant changes that have to happen (at least to the floor pan and other things).

I am REALLLLLLLY hoping for an AWD Focus RS. I'm just setting my expectations accordingly. I want a viable STI contender from Ford. The 2015 STI was a consideration for me instead of the Mustang... that is until I actually drove one. I had a bugeye WRX back in the day, and I loved it. Subaru has lost that magical feeling though.

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
AWD 350HP RS for Sti money would make sense...Anything less is Focus/Fiesta ST and WRX territory...Pricier than that and I dont know who would be buying it. Defintively not me...

B-Fox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
F-350 Scorpion
a +300HP AWD Focus is something Ford should have been making 10 years ago.

It is just that much more practical than the Mustang, especially in this case when it's bound for daily driver duty in snow country. It will be plenty quick and a blast to drive in the snow, I drove my '88 GT in the snow in NH, it was more nerve racking than fun.

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
Lots of great replies. I'm a few months away financially from making any type of final decision so I still have time for research. An auto show appearance for the RS could make or break my decision to get one. I know what I like but the problem is I think I'm going to like both rides equally. But I'm glad I started this thread, gives me a little more perspective on the whole scenario since I haven't owned a powerful RWD car in quite some time.

CannMann21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Car
Plenty of people said an FPC in the GT350 was unlikely, but Ford surprised many people. If the Focus RS is 350hp FWD, there are plenty of better options for the price range (Sti, Evo, Golf R) that are AWD.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Logically, it seems the Focus RS would be better in almost every way. Lighter, roomier, more nimble, easier to see out of, better balanced, better in inclement weather, more fuel efficient.

Emotionally, I have no desire to have a Focus RS, even though it also has a great history. I'd want the Mustang for the V8 sounds, RWD feel, and looks.

I think the Focus RS is going to be a beast though.

-T

OP
OP

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
Logically, it seems the Focus RS would be better in almost every way. Lighter, roomier, more nimble, easier to see out of, better balanced, better in inclement weather, more fuel efficient.

Emotionally, I have no desire to have a Focus RS, even though it also has a great history. I'd want the Mustang for the V8 sounds, RWD feel, and looks.

I think the Focus RS is going to be a beast though.

-T
Oh thanks, that helps sooo much ha. I probably wouldn't have this much indecision if I hadn't already owned a wonderful car in the ST. I am sure many are shaking their heads at my desire to cross shop these two but they're both a testament to how far we've come with technology and vehicles. I never would've dreamed I'd want to seriously consider a Focus and a Mustang but here I am.

steelertown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
There is a list of cars a mile long I would buy before a focus. I would pick the Mustang GT without much of a second thought.
Sponsored