Sponsored

15-17 owners, what will make you trade for an '18?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Will not trade my 17' in on an 18'.

Wish I had waited to trade my 13 ' FOST and gotten an 18, I really like:
Gen 3 Coyote
Magride
Michelin tires rather than the crappy Pirelli's
Cool Spolier
12" gauge screen
Active Exhaust

On the down side, I'm sure optioned out with all this stuff the 18 is going to be close to $50K.

No complaints about my 17 and I will be driving for years to come, but you know!!!
Yea, I get the feeling that the majority of those options are gonna be expensive.
Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The 2018 has a lot of new and awesome features in it. But I will not be trading in my 2015. When I went out to buy a new mustang. I wanted a 50th year anniversary model year car.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I don't currently have a Mustang, but I do plan and have been planning on purchasing this year. So basically I have the choice between models. With that said a lot will depend on pricing. I kind of draw the line around 40k, so a 17 GT Premium with PP puts me right under that w/ Xplan. I do like Grabber Blue, so that is a plus in the 17 column.

In a way I am hoping the new refresh drives a little better bargains on 17's this year which would make the decision that much easier.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I honestly cant stand direct injection. I think anyone who plans to boost this motor will be in for a rude awakening. Also I paid 28K for my base 6 speed GT last week. No way Ide pay 35 grand just for 40 more horsepower and an uglier front end.
Yup. It's pretty easy to max out the DI injectors/HPFP then one would think. Luckily port injection helps with that though but it should be interesting to see.

Last edited:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
A Bullitt with maybe some subtle fascia changes would probably get me into a 18'

I don't wan't a automatic.

But... the thought of buying a 2018 PP2 10spd, and throwing the powerpack 3 on it (if it doesn't incorporate the GT350 stuff already)

Then swapping out the front end, and rear tail lights with 15-17 parts sounds really fun to mess with people.

Sponsored

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
When did cars become the new iPhones? It's bad enough we have to spend 650$ ever 1-2 years on a phone. Now we gotta spend 35-45K$ on a new car every 2-3 years? lol Not I. I love my little pile of v6. but I gotta say if i can bolt on that LCD display for ~$1000! i would do it yesterday!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
When did cars become the new iPhones? It's bad enough we have to spend 650$ ever 1-2 years on a phone. Now we gotta spend 35-45K$ on a new car every 2-3 years? lol Not I. I love my little pile of v6. but I gotta say if i can bolt on that LCD display for ~$1000! i would do it yesterday!
Yup pretty much it. Made a post about this yesterday. You will never own the best of the best for more than 2 years. They hold out on features and trickle them over years. I mean look at older Luxury cars. They had tech in early 2000 that most cars are just now seeing. Granted it use to be a lot more expensive then so it's cheaper to wait for certain tech. But I agree. It's so easy to go get a loan that they know they can get people to refresh between refreshes. I am that guy that likes to always be current but I am trying to change that this time around. Wasted too much money on mods and depreciation over trading cars in after 2 years of owning them that I want to be done with it.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Yup pretty much it. Made a post about this yesterday. You will never own the best of the best for more than 2 years. They hold out on features and trickle them over years. I mean look at older Luxury cars. They had tech in early 2000 that most cars are just now seeing. Granted it use to be a lot more expensive then so it's cheaper to wait for certain tech. But I agree. It's so easy to go get a loan that they know they can get people to refresh between refreshes. I am that guy that likes to always be current but I am trying to change that this time around. Wasted too much money on mods and depreciation over trading cars in after 2 years of owning them that I want to be done with it.
Add in the cost will very likely be higher on MY18.. Its looking like 36-40k for the equivalent of my car I have now (Base few options PP 6 speed GT). I'm afraid that while the MY18 will be a better/more advanced car than mine off the lot, the value ratio will be skewed. I'd have to show up ready to spend closer to 40k to buy my car in MY18 flavor, and I'm just not okay with that. It's not a good return for the money.

However, all of this will make the older 15-17 PP cars more valuable in the long run. I'm sure Gen 1 S550's will go down in value by next year, but you'll be seeing a solid market for them for those who want a S550 chassis 5.0 PP and don't want to spend 40k. I expect a mid 20's to 30k value will hold strong for at least 2 more years on our cars.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
yeah it just doesn't make sense to trade for an 18 then trade for 2020...unless you like wasting cash up front and or love adding negative equity.

remember s650 will launch prob in fall 2019... two years after this car.

while i like having latest and greatest it's time for a 350+my car or my car+2020 in 2019. It's just too hard to let competition orange go especially after all these mods.

You'd be nuts to dump such a sweet car. Very nice, just looking at the avatar & mod list. For some it could be a dream car to hold onto for many years. :headbang:

But if you change your mind, I and many others are going to play vulture on 15s as soon as the 18s hit, gonna be some nice deals. The GTs haven't been depreciating as much as I expected, the '18s will do the trick. It's hard to believe I have been looking at this car for so long (I was drooling at launch but ended up getting a great deal on an slk55) without owning, time to make it happen in '17. :ford:

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
yeah it just doesn't make sense to trade for an 18 then trade for 2020...unless you like wasting cash up front and or love adding negative equity.

remember s650 will launch prob in fall 2019... two years after this car.

while i like having latest and greatest it's time for a 350+my car or my car+2020 in 2019. It's just too hard to let competition orange go especially after all these mods.
From what I've read start of production of the S650 Mustang is May 2020
It will be a 2021 Model.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Now that I've seen all the changes to the 2018, I still think the only way I'll give up my 2016 is if they make a Bullitt. I am starting to like the new styling and would love the active exhaust but that's it. Honestly I feel pretty indifferent about everything else. Also, it might sound dumb but I really like having the hood mounted turn signals so since the 2018s don't have them that's kind of a deal breaker as well. If I'm going to give those up and want an active exhaust I'd rather just have a Shelby.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Active exhaust does nothing for me because I'm a guy that likes to mod. Really the only thing that I would be interested in is if the PP wheels are wider on the rear.. Then I will just buy them for my car vs buying a replica. As long as the design still matches up.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I think the 2018 is the perfect upgrade for someone who doesn't plan on modding their car because you get things like active exhaust, mag ride, a power increase, nice wheel options. Would never work for me. As you could see after me owning the car for a few months, lol.

Boilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Ingot Silver w/Red interior (Navi, GT PP
It doesn't take much for me to jump ship and get a new car. That said, I do factor in monthly financing, so I don't go ape sh!t and buy a new car just because. I like the fact you can get the A/T with the PP option in 18 and that alone would make me try to find the right trade/finance deal to get in to a 18 model.

Lator

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
im debating getting a 17. honestly don't care for mag ride I don't race and I wana do bags this time around. I will swap the hood out for a cowl and a spoiler. the only thing holding me back tbh is the gauges, the upgrades to the manual, and the unknown power and mpg
Sponsored