$1499 for 3M Bra at the Dealer?

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I'm picking up my new R on Friday in Chicago, and driving it 450 miles home to Nashville. The original plan was to use my car hauler, but I'm too excited not to drive the car. Weather forecast looks good, too.

It appears 3M has a mixed reputation, and I'm not sure of the technical requirements of a car dealership doing this correctly (vs an independent custom installer).

If I don't get the dealer to do the 3M, I'll definitely get paint protection when I get home. What's the verdict from the experts?

Thanks!

-Spencer
Sponsored

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Most dealers do not install paint film or window tint. There is usually a day or two when an outside contracted vendor comes in and does the work. That work is almost always sublet

fussybobcat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
17' Oxford White GT350
Having had clear bra done on just about all of my vehicles, I can tell you that the installer is just as important as the film, and that the best installers usually use the best film.

In my experience, the two absolute best films to use would be Xpel Ultimate or Suntek Ultra - both have awesome warranties, don't 'yellow' and are self healing.

Xpel Ultimate is one of the thickest films, offers the most protection on track / rock chip oriented areas and looks great on light colored paint.

Suntek Ultra is extremely glossy, probably the best 'looking' film, offers very good protection and looks best on dark colored paint.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I also recommend making sure your installer uses pre-cut patterns, and does not cut on the car.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Buy a roll of trackk tape (trakktape.com) and wait till you get home to have xpel or suntek installed. Tape the front end, hood, pillars, partial roof, wheel impact areas, and wing.

Good luck

fussybobcat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
17' Oxford White GT350
^^ super good advice!

Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Having had clear bra done on just about all of my vehicles, I can tell you that the installer is just as important as the film, and that the best installers usually use the best film.
This ^^^^

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof

In my experience, the two absolute best films to use would be Xpel Ultimate or Suntek Ultra - both have awesome warranties, don't 'yellow' and are self healing.

Xpel Ultimate is one of the thickest films, offers the most protection on track / rock chip oriented areas and looks great on light colored paint.

Suntek Ultra is extremely glossy, probably the best 'looking' film, offers very good protection and looks best on dark colored paint.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I also recommend making sure your installer uses pre-cut patterns, and does not cut on the car.
Great Advice. Find a highly reputable shop, not the dealership. I would also suggest to have paint correction done over every surface including the rear spoiler. We had paint correction done, and had pretty much 3/4's of the R clear bra'd including the rear wing. We then had wheels, calipers and any remaining uncovered paint ceramic pro coated.

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'm picking up my new R on Friday in Chicago, and driving it 450 miles home to Nashville. The original plan was to use my car hauler, but I'm too excited not to drive the car. Weather forecast looks good, too.

It appears 3M has a mixed reputation, and I'm not sure of the technical requirements of a car dealership doing this correctly (vs an independent custom installer).

If I don't get the dealer to do the 3M, I'll definitely get paint protection when I get home. What's the verdict from the experts?

Thanks!

-Spencer
Pretty much never get any detail related things done at the dealership. They usually outsource that work anyways, and they charge you a lot for being the middle man. I wouldn't do 3M solely for the fact that they have had very mixed results over the years. It may be great this time around, but do you really want to be a guinea pig? Stick with the tried and true like Xpel Ultimate or Suntek Ultra

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
If you're coming to Chicago it's going to start raining at about 10 AM and by 3 PM it's going to be turning into snow, be careful with that R.

AeschyA

JR195
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2013 JKR10A

I am in a similar situation, though I already had a local shop scheduled to do the PFF install, and the dealer doing it was not something I had considered.

I was curious what people would recommend to do on the drive back (see below).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100379

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tractor Junk

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
Thanks for the good advice. I'll stick with a local shop and skip the dealer.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
I used blue masking tape, in the past, when I was driving my cars long distance. It's very easy to put on and leaves no residue when you take it off. Protects it just enough. Good Luck!

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Friend of mine just had suntek installed by what i would guess is the best installer in the Indianpolis area (they do many exotics). It was $2300...that includes the front bumper, front fenders, hood, mirrors, rockers, front roof section, and the a pillars.

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
Resist the urge to drive home. Pick it up with your car hauler and Xpel it when you get home. The R has super sticky tires and you will be picking up and throwing a lot of shit on your paint.
Sponsored