1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
Hopefully that statement is just a joke....
No it wasn't a joke. Unless you're purely a car collector or a car restorer looking for an investment or flip - many of those old rides are just plain rickety. They need TONS of updates to make right, and in doing so, usually lowers the over all value because they then become "non-original". I rather have technology.

I'd take a new ride over an old ride any day of the week. For me I am a driver and don't want to stare at a museum piece. I don't believe in buying a car and letting it sit un-driven, I've been there and done that, life is too short to sit and look at a car in the garage.

From the article... "Bonhams expects it to sell for between $90,000 and $120,000. That's far less than what Hagerty values early GT350s, with '65 models averaging $287k (and topping $450k in concours condition), and '66 fastbacks averaging $142k (or nearly $250k in tip-top shape)."

^^^^ That is collectors territory. No thanks.

I'm a total Ford guy but if I was going to buy any old school classic car to drive it would be 70's era Chevelle SS. Something along the lines of this>

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
No it wasn't a joke. Unless you're purely a car collector or a car restorer looking for an investment or flip - many of those old rides are just plain rickety. They need TONS of updates to make right, and in doing so, usually lowers the over all value because they then become "non-original". I rather have technology.

I'd take a new ride over an old ride any day of the week. For me I am a driver and don't want to stare at a museum piece. I don't believe in buying a car and letting it sit un-driven, I've been there and done that, life is too short to sit and look at a car in the garage.

From the article... "Bonhams expects it to sell for between $90,000 and $120,000. That's far less than what Hagerty values early GT350s, with '65 models averaging $287k (and topping $450k in concours condition), and '66 fastbacks averaging $142k (or nearly $250k in tip-top shape)."

^^^^ That is collectors territory. No thanks.

I'm a total Ford guy but if I was going to buy any old school classic car to drive it would be 70's era Chevelle SS. Something along the lines of this>

yeah, dude in that condition i thinking something like maybe $10k when they said 90-120k i just closed the site...screw that

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
these are newly produced bodys, metallurgy is far superior to the old metal. No worries about rust and even has a warranty

OP
OP
Nick

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'm just, incredibly disappointed right now. :tsk:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I drive my old cars frequently, and love every stinky, rattly, noisy second of it. :D

Old trumps new all day long in terms of design, IMO. I'm invisible in my '15, but get looks and thumbs up every time I have something old on the road.

Longer trips in the old stuff aren't as much fun. That's where new stuff comes in, generally superior all-around performance and comfort. Less worries about some dipshit ramming your unreplaceable classic too.

The Revology cars are a great mix, but I'm not rolling in money and I'd rather build my own restomod.....

Sponsored

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
"Old trumps new all day long in design?" And yet both you and the OP are in S550's. I get the nostalgia thing. I bought and resto'd a '67 coupe and after I sold it for 1/2 of what I put into it, I will stick with modern thanks JMHO! As for design, it had lap belts and a padded dash - the big safety innovation for 1967. It had a radiator too small for hot weather- not too many modern cars pulled over having overheated like they were back in the day. The manual brakes required both feet to get the car to stop. You could turn the wheel a quarter turn in either direction and still go straight. The 289 engine was 8 cc's bigger than the 4.6 in my 2006 GT and had almost 100 less horsepower. And those are all design issues, not wear. Drive what you love. For me it is satnav, blue tooth, airbags - not the recalled airbags - and power everything.

Last edited:

StangLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
"Old trumps new all day long in design?" And yet both you and the OP are in S550's. I get the nostalgia thing. I bought and resto'd a '67 coupe and after I sold it for 1/2 of what I put into it, I will stick with modern thanks JMHO! As for design, it had lap belts and a padded dash - the big safety innovation for 1967. It had a radiator too small for hot weather- not too many modern cars pulled over having overheated like they were back in the day. The manual brakes required both feet to get the car to stop. You could turn the wheel a quarter turn in either direction and still go straight. The 289 engine was 8 cc's bigger than the 4.6 in my 2006 GT and had almost 100 less horsepower. And those are all design issues, not wear. Drive what you love. For me it is satnav, blue tooth, airbags - not the recalled airbags - and power everything.
And don't forget the joy of carburetors, points/distributors, etc. I agree - people with rose-colored glasses about cars from the 60s and 70s are kidding themselves to some degree; those cars were slow and unreliable compared to today. Once the Boomers are done robbing their piggy banks to buy these at crazy prices I expect their values to plummet to normal levels.

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
I'm invisible in my '15, but get looks and thumbs up every time I have something old on the road.
Invisible??

I don't know what your 15 looks like but I can tell you anywhere I go in my Deep Impact Blue 16 CS/GT I get all kinds of complements. People walk up all the time striking a conversation about the car. I keep my all my cars very clean and they are garage kept. :cheers:

OP
OP
Nick

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Ok, whatever, Geez, sometimes I think you guys would like to argue over the shade of blue of the sky....

So, for everyone that likes classic Shelbys.......This is a pretty impressive find in my book! :thumbsup: Completely unmolested Shelby and ready for hopefully an owner that will restore it to a concours level.
Sponsored