2015 Early build vs. 2016+

Filli_at

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB
Like any new model vehicle the first year is the most susceptible to issues, the ecoboost mustang is not immune to this. I do not post much but try to stay fairly up to date with this subforum. I was around when it seemed like every week there was another blown up modified ecoboost, that has since seem to have subsided some. I know originally alot of people were blaming the blow motors to LSPI, but i have seen more recently engines letting go at random times not in the LSPI range. I also remember reading that potential the connecting rod bolts were changed between early and late 2015 builds, has anyone confirmed this? Q1. What makes the 2016 models less susceptible to failures?
I really like my performance package ecoboost, i drive about 100 miles a day and average hand calculated about 27 mpg on my commute. I will have my car paid off soon and would like to take my modding more serious (full bolt on or turbo upgrade). I however would rather not have to sink $5000+ in a new motor, i know you must pay to play however i would like to take the steps ahead of time to try to avoid this scenario. My car currently is stock and has almost 40k, i have the opportunity to upgrade to a 2016 performance package (identical to my current car besides color). Q2. Would the 2016 be a better base to perform modifications on that my early build 2015?
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Like any new model vehicle the first year is the most susceptible to issues, the ecoboost mustang is not immune to this. I do not post much but try to stay fairly up to date with this subforum. I was around when it seemed like every week there was another blown up modified ecoboost, that has since seem to have subsided some. I know originally alot of people were blaming the blow motors to LSPI, but i have seen more recently engines letting go at random times not in the LSPI range. I also remember reading that potential the connecting rod bolts were changed between early and late 2015 builds, has anyone confirmed this? Q1. What makes the 2016 models less susceptible to failures?
I really like my performance package ecoboost, i drive about 100 miles a day and average hand calculated about 27 mpg on my commute. I will have my car paid off soon and would like to take my modding more serious (full bolt on or turbo upgrade). I however would rather not have to sink $5000+ in a new motor, i know you must pay to play however i would like to take the steps ahead of time to try to avoid this scenario. My car currently is stock and has almost 40k, i have the opportunity to upgrade to a 2016 performance package (identical to my current car besides color). Q2. Would the 2016 be a better base to perform modifications on that my early build 2015?
What was the build date on your engine? If it's an "E-code" It likely already has the rod cap bolt upgrade. I cannot fully confirm that this was the change in the E code builds, that is the suspected change however.

Read Lions optimization thread. It has a lot of good information regarding performance and reliability improvements which are all very well thought out.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59968

OP
OP

Filli_at

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB
What was the build date on your engine? If it's an "E-code" It likely already has the rod cap bolt upgrade. I cannot fully confirm that this was the change in the E code builds, that is the suspected change however.

Read Lions optimization thread. It has a lot of good information regarding performance and reliability improvements which are all very well thought out.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59968
I'll have to look again, however i believe my build date was either Sept or Oct 2014, which from my understanding is not an E code.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
How or where do you look to see what the code is on your engine ?

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
How or where do you look to see what the code is on your engine ?
Open your hood and look at the sticker on your valve cover. It's a white sticker with a bar code and some numbers, one of which will be your engine build date. If after May 2015 I believe is an "E" code. Before then is either A,B,C,D depending on date. Someone may want to fact check my May 2015 date though.

Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I'll have to look again, however i believe my build date was either Sept or Oct 2014, which from my understanding is not an E code.
Yeah, anything in 2014 is not an E-code engine.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Mine was on the road in Feb of 2015 so no point in even looking.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
For 2016, Mustang Ecoboost engine production was moved from Spain to Cleveland...

I had (past tense-see my signature if you want to know why) a late build 2015 with a Spanish engine. Since I only owned it for 4 months and 7,500 miles, never got to find out what changes it had :(

All 2016 Mustang Ecooboost engines are now built in Cleveland, including mine :love:

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
I have a September 2014 build date Ecoboost. It was stock for about 18k miles, then I put a stage 1 tune on it, first a Cobb OTS and then a protune (hardware is still stock, still have original air filter and spark plugs).

I've never had any engine problems with it ever. I change the oil when it tells me to, with whatever synthetic oil they have at the oil change place up the street. That's it.

I don't have any LSPI problems, and I floor it at low speeds all the time, on stock and on stage 1 tune (it's a manual trans).

Witj85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Base 6spd in Shadow Black
I just bought a 2015 3 weeks ago with 582 miles on it and was wondering these same things. Mine is 7/15 build.

Sponsored

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
I'm almost positive there's an E in the build number on the sticker itself.... I have to take off the intake cover and check.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
Since this Dodger game is a blow out I went outside and got you guys a picture :thumbsup:
image.jpg

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Yeah, anything in 2014 is not an E-code engine.
Sure about that??? What exact code are we looking for? Here is mine.. built last week of Nov 2014.

I have not one, but 2 E's in mine.
IMG_0935.jpg
Sponsored