Sponsored

2.3L TST Optimization Thread

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Hello all. I'd like to share a few things I've learned from both other vehicles and in the short time I've owned a 16 EB, but this is more of an engineers perspective and it's not so much focused on big power, but rather efficiency, which I might add is actually the best place to also start when moving toward big power adders.

It's also somewhat cost minded as these things are carefully chosen as the most critical items to help create a reliable engine that makes consistent power when you beat the crap out of it pull after pull after pull in the worst conditions. Designing for the worst case is a mindset that is standard practice in Industrial, Aerospace and Military engineering disciplines (my expertise is Industrial).

These things are by no means the ONLY good solutions, just the best solutions I have been able to find at their particular price points. Please feel free to post your solutions, experiences and most valued would be documented / instrumented test data to back it up if you can.

While some people buy mustangs as weekend toys and are willing to perform rather risky mods to break 1/4 mile / track records or extreme bragging rights, there are those of us who also drive them daily and depend upon them year around. Longevity and reliability of the car are even more important than just going fast. I love driving, weather its cruising down country back roads, 1/4 mile drag strip or down hill mountainous slaloms, I just enjoy driving, that's why I bought a mustang.

1. Oil $40~$75- While I would recommend following the service interval on the first oil change (approximately 10k is when you should expect the change oil indication to come on) to allow proper break in of bearing and cam surfaces thus allowing the highest efficiency, after the period when optimal wear in is achieved, we would want to then focus on preservation. There are quite a few motor oil vendors out there, all of the big names at least meet the SAE standards, however some are quite a bit better than others.

The following is a very interesting instrumented and certified test comparison using industry standard benchmarks (an one non-standard test). I've used Mobil 1 15k Extended performance in the past on my 2007 Focus ST (172k miles and it still runs like a champ), however that was an NA engine, not a highly boosted FI making double the HP and torque (literally its about 2x, 164 ft-lbs vs 320). I will be using AMSOIL Signature 5W-30 on my 16 EB Stang once I reach the 10k first service interval as I cannot find a better performing oil: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Note that you want an Oil that performs good in ALL categories. While a few of the oils edge out the Signature series in a few categories, they perform significantly worse in others. The signature series performs in the top bracket in every category. As I stated, I run the Mobil 1 in my NA focuses, but will switch to AMSOIL Signature in the Mustang when it comes due. I wasn't aware of the AMSOIL signature series performance until a colleague of mine told me about it, which he runs in his S2000.

2. Spark Plugs $40~$75- si (silver) has the highest conductivity of any base metal, including Gold and Copper. Copper would be second in line to silver in terms of conductivity for electrode use in plugs and has very similar electrical properties at a slightly lower cost. Iridium and Platinum have the worst performance due to lower electrical conductivity, however they offer the highest life span due to high melting points and density. Most factory plugs are Iridium (slightly higher conductivity than Platinum, but also more expensive to produce) for low maintenance / reliability but at the cost of consistent ignition which results in loss of fuel economy / power. My own experience is that running 91 or 93 octane in my NA focus using silver electrode plugs resulted in much more consistent power and significantly reduced the dead torque band in the 3k to 4k rpm range before hitting the torque peak at 4k8 rpm. Brisk makes some excellent plugs (well over 50k in 07 ST and Id get 28~29 mpg on average with spirited driving, EPA for that car was 24/31). Prior to running premium and the LGS silver plugs I would average around 26~27 and have a dead torque band in the described range with the OEM iridiums. While I doubt you would notice any power difference in your seat of the pants dyno, you may see it in your mileage averaging up a bit and you may see it on a dyno. More modded EB's will likely see a bigger benefit. It's worth a look (also great info, scroll down to the bottom of the page and look through the links): http://www.briskusa.com/techinfo

The plugs most appropriate for the EB from Brisk are RR14YS, you can find them on Americanmuscle, ebay etc. Their price point is nearly identicle to the Motorcraft Iridiums, but with a slightly shorter service interval (25-30k change invertvale vs 30-45k). To me this is a worth while investment, changing plugs once every other year on an in-line mounted inline 4-cyl isn't exactly difficult or time consuming either. Maybe on a transversely mounted 3.5L EB I might think twice...making consistent ignition matters and plugs are by far one of the most overlooked component yet are highly critical to fuel ignition.

3. Inter Cooler $500~$1,200 - the infamous factory IC, the most worthless piece of Sh** to ever burden a forced induction engine on a factory engine (at least to my knowledge). This is a very worth while change and probably one of the most important component changes you could make. There is a plethora of documented testing which shows that the factory IC is not only under sized for its application, but is also poorly designed, compounding the issues.

In essence the only consideration when designing the factory IC is cost and it's not high dollar to say the least. It is largely responsible for inconsistent power production or the "mustang ecoboost getting slow" phenomenon. Running a tune with the stock inter cooler only masks the issue. The engine is still making less and less power as the IC heat soaks, your just raising the height from which it will taper off from (thus raising the minimum) and pushing the engine closer to a point of no return. After just a single gear pull, outlet temps reach around 145F, PCM safe guards kick in at 150F. At the end of a second single gear pull outlets temps reach approximately 185F. At the end of a third consecutive pull temps reach between 200 and 230F!

There is a multitude of IC's on the market in different sizes and configurations, but one thing remains constant, the bigger the inter cooler (assuming it's flow vs. pressure drop characteristics are properly balanced of optimal cooling), the more power you can make or conversely the harder and longer you can push the 2.3L without saturating the exchanger. I would suggest going with a full size front mount IC and avoiding the smaller units all together if you plan on any sustained hard driving.

The smaller "stage 1" drop in units are adequate for stock power levels and are how the factory IC should have been designed, but they are still a far cry from the larger performance type IC's in their capabilities and the cost difference doesn't seem to justify the performance gap. Full Race, ATM, Levels, MAP and other full size IC's are probably the best choice, but in terms of Cost vs. Performance the Gen 3 Levels Street Core (20x14x3.5) with cast end tanks provides by far the best performance per dollar at around $525 shipped through Adam or $550 directly from Levels. I have one on order myself and the dyno-graphs speak for themselves, especially since it can be repeated back to back without cool down times needed to keep temps well within safe operating ranges (typically low 100's even after 6 pulls back to back). Remember most dyno's also have poorer air flow than real world conditions where speeds can easily exceed 60mph. Most dyno fans produce equivalency of about 30~40 mph conditions, so that is my "worst case" condition met already.

4. Clutch Assist Spring Delete or 35lb Spring $0~$22 - this is a simple mod to give you better clutch engagement feedback. I had trouble with the factory clutch engagement, it's numb, very numb. I've been driving stick for over 10 years and it's an automatic process at this point. I stalled the EB Stang just getting out of the dealership parking lot. I got better as I drove it, but it still felt like a lot of concentrated work to find the engagement and it wasn't easy to do in a hurry = slower and less enjoyable driving. I've run the no assist spring mod for a while, it was great, I honestly didn't find the heavier clutch modulation to be an issue. With the light weight Steeda Assist spring, it was even better by preserving the no assist spring level of feedback while lightening the clutch similar to stock weight and providing a full pedal return (as the seals wear and let fluid pass, without a full return you pedal travel will get shorter and shorter until your barely disengaging it unless you pull it back out manually). For $15 it's worth a try and very easy to do, even if you find the stock clutch ok I suggest you give this a try as I'll bet you will find it a notable improvement.

5. Lowering Springs $310~$435 - There's a plethora of options out there, I haven't done this to my 16 EB YET, but I did with my 07 Focus ST. I chose the Ford Racing Autocross springs for the Focus and they were great, providing notably better handling, lowering the car to rid it of that horrid SUVish wheel gap. Right height was just right for a street car. Be sure to take note of the springs purpose as track springs can be too stiff for street and may drop the car more than an inch. With race spring you may have ground clearance issues and handling issues on rougher road surfaces.

Price range assumes an alignment as well which typically runs about $100 average cost. It is my understanding that if you use Ford Racing springs you also preserve the warranty as they are approved by Ford as a warranty acceptable modification. Their X springs have great reviews: http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-x-springs-2015gt.html

I'm not sure if the damping rate of the struts are the same between the base I have and PP options, however these X springs seem to be quite a bit better tuned than the PP springs from what people are saying, part of that is going to come from a lower CG by dropping ride height, part of it may also come from their progressive pressure curve, which may be better suited for not so perfect roads with bumps and other uneven elements.

6. Oil Catch Can $140~$250 - A secondary separation system to catch anything the factory oil separator doesn't. While there is a factory separator on the car, I have not seen any evidence to suggest it's near 100% efficient. Especially if you have the original design from 2015 / early 2016 which causes abnormally high crank case pressure at low RPM and ends up pushing oil out the turbo bearings into the exhaust. If you have a 2015 / early 2016, I'd suggest getting it replaced or even doing it yourself, it's a $15 part and solves the high crank case pressure issue at idle. Then add a catch can system to essentially eliminate any oil vapor which passes the factory separator / PCV valve.

I have on order a dual valve can. Single valve can's will not function at WOT as the vaccume source is no longer present for operation. The dual valve system will function during partial and WOT conditions. For a daily driver / cruiser that mostly sees partial throttle the single valve system is still a good investment.

If your a more spirited driver that also takes your car to the drag strip, track or you routinely perform WOT sprints I'd suggest the dual valve can, which is what I have on order from UPR.

Total Cost (assuming max cost on all items except the IC, which I priced at the Levels Gen 3 Street core): $1,212

Most of these changes are fairly warranty safe. While there is potential for issues on a few of them (IC and springs would be the only real risk that a dealer could possibly point to), even the riskest items are relatively low risk (and could certainly be reversed even if the car isn't running) that attempt to correct deficiencies / enhance the cars performance from stock without pushing beyond safe boundaries.

They are intended to make the most consistent power under the most severe and sustained driving conditions other than straight track use. By worst case I mean high ambients, multi-gear sprints (1/4 mile drag) or sustained spirited driving on back roads in near WOT or full WOT. The only item I included for handling were the springs as they provide the biggest gain for the least cost and fairly warranty safe, similar to how the IC upgrade provides such a measurable difference in engine response, consistent performance even average power increase.

I did not include a tune because at the present time the Ford Racing tune is the only tune that's warranty safe (or ever will be) and it's not currently available, if ever... However, if your not concerned about preserving power train warranty, there are a plethora of good canned tunes available from Cobb, Livernois, Lund etc. or tailored tunes from Tune+ etc.

Running a tune without upgrading the IC is asking for trouble however. While there are extensive safe guards built in to the control system, your still going to make less and less power as the IC heats up even with a tune. I've seen documented cases where power drops by as much as 50HP after multiple pulls.

My advice is to fix the IC deficiency and then tune. The down pipe is another upgrade potential, however the gains are far less and only really worth while if your running a hot tune and really pushing the stock internals to the limits. Some of the better tunes do a very good job of flattening out the power band and giving you a very usable top end even with the factory down pipe. Most 3" down pipes also require a tune to be used as the turbo will over boost during mid since we've reduced the back pressure that was assumed to be there with the factory down pipe.

For track use an Oil Cooler and upgraded Radiator are a must (assuming your have a base, but I believe the PP radiator is reasonably good for track use if you just add an oil cooler). But the cost is going to add another $500 to $1k. If you have a base then add another $1k for breaks...I think I'll stick to drag, slalem and back roads for now ;-)

For the cost, your gain is fairly limited until you have already implemented other more notable changes. CAI's are in the same category as the down pipe, for aggressive tunes, it makes sense, but otherwise there is little to no (or in some cases negative) gain. Please feel free to post questions, comments and suggestions. Please also be respectful of others opinions, the whole point to help people understand how to make the most of what they have by applying your hard earned cash in the most critical areas first, which is what efficiency is all about, making the most for the least amount of cost.
Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are you a book author? Your posts are always so long! Good info though.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, lol. I have never written a book in my life. But I am very thorough, I do a fair amount of very detailed documentation on theory of operation, design proposals, engineering test / validation documentation etc.

For some people it's long winded, but I have found that one of the biggest issues I've personally had with written articles "giving advice" is that they often do not provide enough detail in explaining why or how their advice is valid.

Certainly we can over complicate explanations, but I don't think I've done that, just covered with a good level of detail optimizations that really make the most of an otherwise factory stock EB Mustang.

I think one the biggest reasons people get into the EB over the V6 or V8 is the balance of power vs. affordability as a daily driver. That's one of the same reasons people get into WRX's or Camaro's (although the Camaro V6 posts poor fuel efficiency compared to the WRX or EB as it's an NA V6 engine, gotta feed those extra cylinders ;-). I wanted to share with others the ways I've found to capitalize on that latent power in ways which are warranty and endurance friendly.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I just added a Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace - Black (15-16 GT, EcoBoost) ...ordered from American Muscle. For the price it is maybe the best addition you can make handling wise. It really pulls the front end together. Gets rid of some cheep plastic holding your battery. And even I was able to install in less than one hour. Me a complete moron haha.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
picture.jpg
Couple pictures
picture.jpg

Sponsored

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Im gonna contrast that by saying thank you for the wealth of information, I don't think it was too long at all, and I learned something from this lol. :clap2:

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Im gonna contrast that by saying thank you for the wealth of information, I don't think it was too long at all, and I learned something from this lol. :clap2:
I don't know that anything new was mentioned, but it is helpful to have it all in one place.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
My .02

First, thank you for your detailed and technical contribution to the forum. I appreciate the manner in which you've presented your views regarding our platform. I agree with 99% of your descriptive analysis, however I would like to add some thoughts of my own which I feel may have some merit.

I am pretty new to the EBM having only owned mine for a few months, however I do have some direct experience with the Ecoboost's older sibling the DISI in the Mazdaspeed 3. Although they are not exactly the same, from a modification stand point I feel the path is very similar.

Let's scratch the surface on the Mazdaspeed and I will add my thoughts on the EBM in RED.

1. In factory form the Mazdaspeed was very similarly hamstringed by the factory tuning logic. The factory tune brought boost in early then intentionally tapered it towards redline to keep the turbo operating within its efficiency range. It was notoriously weak after 5000-5500rpm because of the relatively small K04 turbo. This coupled with a fairly restrictive TMIC resulted in a less than spectacular driving experience overall. This tuning strategy also shed significant light on LSPI and its destructive properties which ultimately lead to a lot of early engine failures.

All of this seems very familiar when comparing the two platforms. It seems that the inefficiencies' and performance/tuning hurdles of the EBM are very similar.

The mod path on the Mazdaspeed was:

1. HPFP Internals- to address fuel pressure drop and increase fuel headroom for safe modification- Currently not an option on the EBM, however it doesn't become a limiting factor on the stock turbo unless you're running blended ethanol fuels >30%.

2. Spark Plugs- When increasing boost pressures it became necessary to run one heat range colder plugs and close plug gaps to .026-.028. to prevent blow out. The go to plug was the Denso ITV22's or NGK equivalent. I have no direct experience with Brisk, although I have heard they are a well designed plug. Same strategy is being deployed on the EBM.

3. Tuning Device- This was the secret sauce to making the Mazdaspeed perform and the Cobb AP allowed greater tuning freedom. This is definitely where it's at on the EBM as well. There are more tuning options for the EBM than there ever was for the Mazdaspeed, but Cobb has my money.

4. Intake- On the Mazdaspeed the stock K03 was so undersized that anything you could do to reduce pumping losses resulted in a power gain. A 3" intake all the way to the turbo inlet resulted in about a 10hp increase, but more importantly allowed sustained boost in the higher rpm's. This does not seem to be as big of an issue on the EBM, however I do think a bigger inlet tube mounted to the stock airbox with a high flow stock replacement filter is worth some gains. Probably more so once you start pushing the stock turbo closer to the right of the curve.

5. Intercooler- The stock TMIC just plain sucked. It flowed poorly, but more importantly due to it's location it was a heat soaking bitch. Replacing this with at least a bigger and better flowing TMIC helped to create a less restrictive path to the intake manifold, which resulted in less WGDC to achieve the same load targets. It also had better cooling properties which both increased the detonation threshold thus allowing more sustained boost at higher rpms. This is also a notorious restriction on the EBM in which a replacement is recommended as a first mod. I do think that increased pressure drop across the core of most aftermarket options is just a trade off we have to accept because the increase in mass is necessary to achieve desired delta in charge air temps. This usually shows as a small loss in torque and horsepower down low, but significant gains mid to top.

6. Exhaust- Removing one of the cats on the Mazdaspeed was definitely a bang for the buck mod which improved overall performance and increased efficiency. On the EBM, I think a good cat-back is the equivalent to the test-pipe, unfortunately it's definitely not the most cost effective way to achieve less back pressure. I believe this is why most people just replace the downpipe because it's cheaper with similar results if not a little bit better. I think good power can be made without any exhaust mods though.

7. Catch Can/PCV- The Mazdaspeed also suffered from a poorly designed PCV system which caused pressure equalization in the turbo and excessive blue smoke out of the exhaust. This condition was also exasperated by the addition of a freer flowing exhaust. The aftermarket solution was called a "Perm Plate" which is basically what Ford did with the newly designed crankcase separator in their TSB fix, that also required a PCM flash which I suspect raised the idle rpm. The catch can is just one of those necessary upgrades because no fuel is being sprayed directly onto the intake valves to keep them clean. Although on the Mazdaspeed it didn't always prevent oil from coking onto the valves.

8. Buy the best synthetic oil you can afford. Couple it with a Wix filter and change it every 3k to 5k miles after initial break in. Turbo cars are harder on oil than the naturally aspirated counterparts.

As far as suspension modifications go, I think it's subjective and purely driver preference because different people have different thoughts depending on their intended use of the car. Where you recommend springs, I think more along the terms of cradle lock outs.

In the end, the fact that the EBM is such a tunable platform which is why I believe it's an attractive package to so many. Regardless of the owners intended use of the car, having an aftermarket that has embraced the EBM gives "US" the ability customize "OUR" cars to be whatever we want it to be.

:ford::cheers:

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I've also come from the MS3 to the EB, and have noticed the many similarites with the problems we need to address to make more power more consistently.

One thing I've been struggling with is the gearing on the mustang, with the stock 3.31 rear end I literally cannot use 6th gear, even at 80mph I'm turning 2000rpm and the car can't get up a hill without pushing 8-10 lbs of boost which IMO is too much for that low of an RPM. I can't figure out what Ford was thinking with this, I have to use 5th for cruise control on the highway at 70. The MS3 in contrast was much shorter geared, 6th at 70 was almost 2850rpm.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Here's something that'll be of immense interest to you, Google LSPI. It's a common problem on DI engines. Some recent studies reviewing LSPI have shown a correlation between LSPI in DI engines and the calcium content in the motor used within them.

With that said, Amsoil, while a very good oil, is VERY high (almost double the content of every other motor oil out there) in calcium. Calcium is used to act as a cleaning agent in motor oil and also helps to stabilize the additive packages processed into motor oils. I won't go into immense detail but a quick search will reveal more detailed information.

Now, would running Amsoil cause your engine to blow up? Maybe not, but it's definitely worth looking into. I'm the kind of guy that will go the extra mile in regards to preventative maintenance, so this was something of interest to me.

Also, the standards for oil testing are due to be changing soon in the US. The current standard is SN, but it will be updated to reflect needed changes due to new engine designs and characteristics, such a operating with a DI fueling system, and to reflect recent research studies.

As stated above, I'm not trying to get into this at length (lots of details because I'm on my mobile), but I thought it to be something that would pique your interest.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
This car will enlighten you when it comes to oil, if it hasn't yet.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plugs and an ic are a match made in heaven...the slight pressure drop nets a very slight loss at low end but very substantial gains in upper and reasonable gains at mid. Gains arent waht im after however, just a beneficialside effect. The aim it to actually make the rated power after wot in more than just 1 gear and to do it safely.

Thats the biggest advantage of an aftermarket ic and plugs.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's something that'll be of immense interest to you, Google LSPI. It's a common problem on DI engines. Some recent studies reviewing LSPI have shown a correlation between LSPI in DI engines and the calcium content in the motor used within them.

With that said, Amsoil, while a very good oil, is VERY high (almost double the content of every other motor oil out there) in calcium. Calcium is used to act as a cleaning agent in motor oil and also helps to stabilize the additive packages processed into motor oils. I won't go into immense detail but a quick search will reveal more detailed information.

Now, would running Amsoil cause your engine to blow up? Maybe not, but it's definitely worth looking into. I'm the kind of guy that will go the extra mile in regards to preventative maintenance, so this was something of interest to me.

Also, the standards for oil testing are due to be changing soon in the US. The current standard is SN, but it will be updated to reflect needed changes due to new engine designs and characteristics, such a operating with a DI fueling system, and to reflect recent research studies.

As stated above, I'm not trying to get into this at length (lots of details because I'm on my mobile), but I thought it to be something that would pique your interest.
Here's some food for thought on this subject. AMSOIL Signature series has the lowest volatility of any of the synthetic oils out there. Lower volatility means less vaporization, period. While it may have a higher calcium content as you pointed out, the ability of that calcium to get into the combustion chamber is lower.

With the addition of a Dual Valve catch can combined with the factory Oil Separator, a proper intercooler and good quality spark plugs (and I run only 93), I think would provide excellent protection against such conditions.

Not only that, but LPSI is not a common issue on ecoboost engines or any turbo engines from most of the major companies such as Ford, VW, Subaru etc., at least not from what I can find. Also the 2.3L EB is a more robust design than it's older cousin from Mazda. Remember Ford owned at one point 40% of Mazda motor company and shared engine designs (duratecs and Mazda's version). They would likely have access to design, testing and failure causes / statistics.

As stated above there is quite a bit learned from Mazda's teething pains. If you do some searching, there's not many 2.3L EB's blown, the few that I can find with serious issues, either happened almost immediately on a bone stock engine or were heavily modified and tuned. I cannot find any reported instances of engines that ran well for 20,30,40k etc and suddenly blew due to LPSI, which would more likely affect TDI engines as they age and begin to accumulate vapor particulates in the intake, assuming that is even a factor in causing LPSI in the first place.

The cause is not fully understood yet. We can't assume because high calcium is found in engine oil with LPSI failures that it's a root cause or even part of the cause. It may simply be a byproduct of another issue, such as higher volatility oils burning off in the turbo bearings and crank, thus getting into the intake in higher concentrations via the PCV system. Calcium is not a highly volatile element, nor is it highly combustible, so I'm not sure how it would even contribute to LPSI, which is a very premature and unintended detonation of the fuel. The more likely cause is spark plug and fuel quality, possibly even PCM software issues or hardware issues.

AMSOIL has been one of, if not the premium oil supplier for high performance turbo engines for decades. TDI's aren't that new either, VW has had them for quite some time and even Subaru has. In actuality it's not even TDI or DI specific, I've found cases where more conventionally designed NA engines with higher compression ratios suffered catastrophic failures early on that were attributed to LPSI.

LPSI, while worth mentioning, is fairly rare occurrence and almost always seems to occur very early on. This suggests a highly abnormal condition already present in the engine that was not seen during testing and evaluation by the mfg. during development. Most of then that can be attributed to production issues or un-tested environmental issues, fuel quality issues etc.

Key factors in reducing risk of LPSI:

1. Use high octane fuels from a HIGH VOLUME gas station (high volume stations are less likely to have water mixed in). Higher octane fuels are less volatile in high temperature and compression environments, hence why they are used in high compression NA engines or TDI engines and produce better power, because a more aggressive timing can safely be used.

2. Use a premium low volatility oil to prevent vaporization and intake of oil particulates

3. Use an auxiliary filter system to the PCV system to catch any vaporized oil particulates that do occur and prevent them from ever getting into the combustion chamber in the first place

4. Upgrade the IC with a high efficiency unit, this will provide cooler air to the intake, thus lowering cylinder head temps and giving you a greater timing margin to prevent knock (and LPSI)

5. Use a high quality spark plug, possibly 1 range colder than stock, which will go a long way in not only making consistent power, but insure the fuel is ignited ONLY when intended and exactly when intended

Working solutions that are effective are usually not a golden egg. They are a combination of many variables and factors. If you do get an LPSI failure, it would most likely occur very early on in the vehicle life and would be a warranty replacement assuming you don't have a tune. Any of the above can be reversed even on a failed engine as it doesn't need to be running to restore it to factory state either.

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Here's some food for thought on this subject. AMSOIL Signature series has the lowest volatility of any of the synthetic oils out there. Lower volatility means less vaporization, period. While it may have a higher calcium content as you pointed out, the ability of that calcium to get into the combustion chamber is lower.

With the addition of a Dual Valve catch can combined with the factory Oil Separator, a proper intercooler and good quality spark plugs (and I run only 93), I think would provide excellent protection against such conditions.

Not only that, but LPSI is not a common issue on ecoboost engines or any turbo engines from most of the major companies such as Ford, VW, Subaru etc., at least not from what I can find. Also the 2.3L EB is a more robust design than it's older cousin from Mazda. Remember Ford owned at one point 40% of Mazda motor company and shared engine designs (duratecs and Mazda's version). They would likely have access to design, testing and failure causes / statistics.

As stated above there is quite a bit learned from Mazda's teething pains. If you do some searching, there's not many 2.3L EB's blown, the few that I can find with serious issues, either happened almost immediately on a bone stock engine or were heavily modified and tuned. I cannot find any reported instances of engines that ran well for 20,30,40k etc and suddenly blew due to LPSI, which would more likely affect TDI engines as they age and begin to accumulate vapor particulates in the intake, assuming that is even a factor in causing LPSI in the first place.

The cause is not fully understood yet. We can't assume because high calcium is found in engine oil with LPSI failures that it's a root cause or even part of the cause. It may simply be a byproduct of another issue, such as higher volatility oils burning off in the turbo bearings and crank, thus getting into the intake in higher concentrations via the PCV system. Calcium is not a highly volatile element, nor is it highly combustible, so I'm not sure how it would even contribute to LPSI, which is a very premature and unintended detonation of the fuel. The more likely cause is spark plug and fuel quality, possibly even PCM software issues or hardware issues.

AMSOIL has been one of, if not the premium oil supplier for high performance turbo engines for decades. TDI's aren't that new either, VW has had them for quite some time and even Subaru has. In actuality it's not even TDI or DI specific, I've found cases where more conventionally designed NA engines with higher compression ratios suffered catastrophic failures early on that were attributed to LPSI.

LPSI, while worth mentioning, is fairly rare occurrence and almost always seems to occur very early on. This suggests a highly abnormal condition already present in the engine that was not seen during testing and evaluation by the mfg. during development. Most of then that can be attributed to production issues or un-tested environmental issues, fuel quality issues etc.

Key factors in reducing risk of LPSI:

1. Use high octane fuels from a HIGH VOLUME gas station (high volume stations are less likely to have water mixed in). Higher octane fuels are less volatile in high temperature and compression environments, hence why they are used in high compression NA engines or TDI engines and produce better power, because a more aggressive timing can safely be used.

2. Use a premium low volatility oil to prevent vaporization and intake of oil particulates

3. Use an auxiliary filter system to the PCV system to catch any vaporized oil particulates that do occur and prevent them from ever getting into the combustion chamber in the first place

4. Upgrade the IC with a high efficiency unit, this will provide cooler air to the intake, thus lowering cylinder head temps and giving you a greater timing margin to prevent knock (and LPSI)

5. Use a high quality spark plug, possibly 1 range colder than stock, which will go a long way in not only making consistent power, but insure the fuel is ignited ONLY when intended and exactly when intended

Working solutions that are effective are usually not a golden egg. They are a combination of many variables and factors. If you do get an LPSI failure, it would most likely occur very early on in the vehicle life and would be a warranty replacement assuming you don't have a tune. Any of the above can be reversed even on a failed engine as it doesn't need to be running to restore it to factory state either.
While I can agree with a lot of what you've said, to say that AMSOIL has the lowest volatility rating of any synthetic oil is inaccurate. The measured volatility rating of an oil is known as the NOACK value, the evaporative loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. Generally speaking, the lower the number the better.

AMSOIL comes in at a 7.5 NOACK rating. Both Redline, with a 6 NOACK rating, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, with a 6.8 NOACK rating, best the AMSOIL in regards to NOACK values.

Now, we don't need to turn this into a debate on oil, as we'll both have opinions on what we feel are the better oil(s), but I wanted to update the information about which oil(s) have the lowest NOACK value.

For what it's worth to anyone else coming into this thread at later points in time, an oil has to have a NOACK value of less than 15% to meet current SN oil standards of testing. I expect that to lower even further with the new testing standards that's expected to debut soon.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I can agree with a lot of what you've said, to say that AMSOIL has the lowest volatility rating of any synthetic oil is inaccurate. The measured volatility rating of an oil is known as the NOACK value, the evaporative loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. Generally speaking, the lower the number the better.

AMSOIL comes in at a 7.5 NOACK rating. Both Redline, with a 6 NOACK rating, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, with a 6.8 NOACK rating, best the AMSOIL in regards to NOACK values.

Now, we don't need to turn this into a debate on oil, as we'll both have opinions on what we feel are the better oil(s), but I wanted to update the information about which oil(s) have the lowest NOACK value.

For what it's worth to anyone else coming into this thread at later points in time, an oil has to have a NOACK value of less than 15% to meet current SN oil standards of testing. I expect that to lower even further with the new testing standards that's expected to debut soon.
What I was really trying to get at were the following points:

1. AMSOIL was cited as a risk based primarily on the fact that LSPI failures tend to have oils with high calcium, yet it has one of the lowest volatility of the tested oils (your correct it's not THE lowest, that's my bad on the wording), meaning it will be one of the least likely to deposit calcium into the chambers despite it's higher content as a stabilizer.

2. Calcium has no direct link to the actual cause of LSPI failures, we only known that LSPI failed engines tend to have used oils with higher calcium content. This would be expected however as TDI engines require a higher quality oil given the thermal strain that turbos place on oil life. This is a very reasonable alternative explanation. Also, calcium is not a highly volatile or flammable element, it should not have any significant effect on chamber temperature or fuel volatility unless it's interacting with other elements or compounds some how.

I agree that we don't want to make this into an oil debate or a "you say, I say" debate. And I think it's good that some one is challenging advice / understanding / ways of doing things, because honestly I was only vaguely aware of LSPI prior to your mentioning it and now I have a better understanding of it, origins, affected engines, frequency of occurrence and likely root causes.

But it's expected I defend my reasoning unless I see very convincing data or path of reasoning that invalidates my conclusion, in which case I would have to change it and that's why I countered. But anyway, what ever the case, as you pointed out people can draw their own conclusion from the information you and I both provided, at least until the actual cause is documented and determined, if ever.
Sponsored