My 1300 mile review track pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
So Friday night I took a flight down to Florida and drove back over the weekend 1,300 miles across 10 states. Here are my impressions.

First off I have to thank forum member Stanglife who picked me up at the airport at 11pm and the following day picked me up at the hotel in his badass fox body roadrunner hotrod. Above and beyond the line of duty.

Then I'd like to give credit to Autonation Ford in St Pete who provided a very smooth and easy buying experience.

Now about the car.

The car arrived covered in dust and grime, absolutely filthy. It's white so you notice it even more. Whoever at Ford decided that these cars should be transported on an open trailer deserves one week in jail.

I had given strict instructions not to wash and not even to peel the stickers, and they complied. Even let me take it to the gas station. I'll have it detailed it here in the next few days. I still have the passenger seat plastic cover on.

The bad things first:

the body panel fitment is woeful. There are gaps through which you can stick a finger. Well, almost. They're even and symmetrical, but look bad. Preproduction-level bad. Maybe it's just my car that was put together particularly sloppily, I don't know, but certainly not what I expect on a 60k brand new vehicle.

The interior feels cheap and insubstantial and left me quite disappointed. The gauges have a toyish feel. The leather of the shifter looks flimsy and cheap and like it's gonna break. The stationary brake has far too much travel. The recaros feel too small like I need to lose 20 pounds.

The radio and audio system is absolute garbage. How I miss having sirius xm. But the speakers are terrible and the car is loud so wouldn't have done much good.

The shifter feels meh. The throws are short and precise but it feels very notchy and mechanical. Plus, if you touch it while the car is running you can feel a weird, very slight vibration.

On the morning of the second day it was quite cold where I was, a couple degrees below freezing. Let me tell you, the transmission really doesn't like cold weather. Shifting with the cold tranny required to be smooth, soft and tactful. Luckily I was going onto the interstate so I didn't need to shift much.

The torque curve is really tight until 3.5k rpms. At lower revs, you could tell me I'm driving a 2 liter four cylinder, I would believe you.

Did I say it's loud inside the cabin? If you're cruising at 2k in 6th gear on the highway it's not too bad, but at higher RPMs it's very very loud. Race car loud. Reminds me of when I drove the skip barber formula cars. When I got off the car last night my ears were ringing. I wonder if you can get hearing loss in the long term, it's so loud and droning.

Now the good part:
The engine is actually ridiculous. I broke it in gently, didn't want to stress it much for the first few hundred miles. That aside, it'll get me some time to get used to it. You pass 5k rpms and you think, I gotta shift. No way this thing has got another 3k in it. Then you get to 6k and you think oh dear God. I can't tell you what happens at higher RPMs than that cos I haven't dared yet.

The brakes are phenomenal. They grab very early on, and the pedal has a firm feel which however lets you modulate very smoothly. An absolute work of art. I'd say the single best thing of the car even more than the engine.

The steering feels competent, sharp and precise. I was expecting a mediocre feel based on the reviews, instead I quite liked it. It doesn't give you a great feedback of the road though.

The exhaust is hilarious. If you don't laugh like a maniac hearing it crackle and pop when you lift off the gas, you hate cars and you should go buy an old prius and put bernie sanders stickers on the bumper.

Sport mode is a little more subtle than I expected. Aside from the exhaust you can feel the dampers stiffen, the steering feel change, the throttle mapping change and become more responsive, but I expected a bit more difference. It's not good or bad really.

Overall, aside from what I consider very mediocre execution in the fit and finish, I can't imagine there being another car at this price point which makes me want to give up the 350, ever. Maybe if they make one just like this but 500 lbs lighter, but they won't.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It was great to meet you! You're car looked awesome rolling down the interstate until my exit where I sadly turned off :)

I was definitely envious of the trip you were about to take - cool way to get to know a new car!

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Seems like outside the body issues I'll be happy with everything except the radio. Yeah I know exhaust radio blah blah but I'm not listening to that for hundred+ mile road trips unless I spend the entire trip on backroads (which there are none in Florida).

ThundrPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
Overall, aside from what I consider very mediocre execution in the fit and finish, I can't imagine there being another car at this price point which makes me want to give up the 350, ever. Maybe if they make one just like this but 500 lbs lighter, but they won't.
Thanks for the honest review. After reading this and seeing more inventory starting to hit dealerships it does make me consider letting go of my pre-order. Order placed October/5k ADM. Anyway it sounds like you hit the nail on the head with your comments. Though when you say they won't make a lighter version are you only talking about this generation GT350? I do believe a lighter version is in the works though it may not necessarily be named Shelby GT350. The new Camaro is approx. 300 lbs lighter so I would think a lighter version would have to be in development just to stay competitive with the upcoming ZL1/Z28.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Congrats on the ride..

Are you coming from a vehicle other than American? I've never owned an American car until a few years ago and was really turned off by the quality, fitment, finish and interior next to other manufactures outside the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the ride..

Are you coming from a vehicle other than American? I've never owned an American car until a few years ago and was really turned off by the quality, fitment, finish and interior next to other manufactures outside the USA.

I have a 2013 explorer and I used to have a 2011 mustang gt premium. I liked both cars interior and finish better than the gt350...

OP
OP

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the honest review. After reading this and seeing more inventory starting to hit dealerships it does make me consider letting go of my pre-order. Order placed October/5k ADM.
Make no mistake though, overall I very much like the car despite the fit and finish/interior. I wouldn't give it up if you pointed a gun at me.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Dead honest review... That being said, anyone who is looking for German solitude or Japanese finesse on an interior need not look to the 350 for that.

The car is a purpose-built racer for the streets. I don't believe at one point did Ford care to produce the "ultimate GT". Seems like those who want to condemn a $50-65k purchase with poor quality or panel fitment will find scrutiny in any product, yet most allow that to override the value in this product. The OP here balanced it out somewhat.

I remember looking at the 2nd generation CTS-V coupe when it first arrived about 5 years ago. The seats squeaked when I sat in it and then soon thereafter stories of seat issues abounded. Then there's the Porsche debacle... The Stingray issue... All makes can have flakes.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dead honest review... That being said, anyone who is looking for German solitude or Japanese finesse on an interior need not look to the 350 for that.

The car is a purpose-built racer for the streets. I don't believe at one point did Ford care to produce the "ultimate GT". Seems like those who want to condemn a $50-65k purchase with poor quality or panel fitment will find scrutiny in any product, yet most allow that to override the value in this product. The OP here balanced it out somewhat.

I remember looking at the 2nd generation CTS-V coupe when it first arrived about 5 years ago. The seats squeaked when I sat in it and then soon thereafter stories of seat issues abounded. Then there's the Porsche debacle... The Stingray issue... All makes can have flakes.

Agreed. Yea 350 was built for one reason but it's all American cars in general in my opinion. I drove the 350 and felt the interior was an upgrade from previous models so I'm content with my purchase.

Sponsored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Congrats on the ride..

This is one of my concerns. I haven't owned an American car since around high school 25+ years ago.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Completely agree on the stereo. I've heard better sound from my son's $10 earbuds. Sounds like you got a bad apple in the fit and finish dept. I haven't noticed any fitment issues on mine yet and I've washed it thoroughly. Also have to agree with the shiftboot leather (or is it leather?) being terribly thing and cheap feeling. Nothing like the thick material on my 04 Cobra that seemed indestructible.

Must disagree on the exhaust being too loud. :D I wish it was louder. lol And maybe I'm easier to please but I don't mind the interior. I think it has a quality feeling, especially when compared to our Chevy Volt. lol

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The exhaust is hilarious. If you don't laugh like a maniac hearing it crackle and pop when you lift off the gas, you hate cars and you should go buy an old prius and put bernie sanders stickers on the bumper.
Sadly, the enthusiast community is the minority in this battle.

Regarding your comments on quality, I had a GT350 boot from Ford Parts and service in my possession for a bit. I've never seen anything so cheap. The "leather" is paper thin.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

It wouldn't be so eyebrow raising except they seem like they've gone backwards. Somewhere along the line, they've "streamlined" their manufacturing process because it wasn't like this for a while (other than a few cases). I've looked at a lot of GT350s, 15 and 16 GTs.. and my 03 Mach 1 had much better panel alignment, IMO.

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
I only drove mine for 40ish miles, but I HATE the clutch feel... What did you think about the lack of tension on the clutch pedal?

One area where they skimped and they shouldn't have is the door panels. The tops of my wife '15 GT/PP have a very soft supple feel and not hard plastic like my GT350.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.