HPDE oil weight

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Did a search and couldn't find anything. Going for a track day at Road Atlanta on December 4th. I suspect temps will be in the 30s up to 50s F. I currently run Mobil 1 5w20 for street driving. What weight oil should I run for a day of beating on it at the track? Looks like five 30 minute sessions that day.

Also what rear end oil should I change to now before I go to the track? Car has 11k miles on it.
Sponsored

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Did a search and couldn't find anything. Going for a track day at Road Atlanta on December 4th. I suspect temps will be in the 30s up to 50s F. I currently run Mobil 1 5w20 for street driving. What weight oil should I run for a day of beating on it at the track? Looks like five 30 minute sessions that day.

Also what rear end oil should I change to now before I go to the track? Car has 11k miles on it.
What kind of prior HPDE experience do you have?

OP
OP

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What kind of prior HPDE experience do you have?
None in my Mustang. I have done a couple track days in my FFR Cobra Daytona Coupe. I ran Valvoline VR1 racing oil in it cause it was a pushrod engine.

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I went up to a 0w40 in the Amsoil flavor for mixed DD and HPDE. I definitely would not do DE's on 5w20.

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None in my Mustang. I have done a couple track days in my FFR Cobra Daytona Coupe. I ran Valvoline VR1 racing oil in it cause it was a pushrod engine.
No more than you will be doing I would suggest you not change a thing. You will not be a track terror or setting any lap records. You already run a full synthetic oil. If you were going all out at an timed event I personally like the heaviest "weight" oil I can find, heat is your #1 enemy. 5w-50 would be my suggestion if you were driving very aggressive frequently on track.

As for gear oil I run the absolute cheapest bulk oil I can find in my 8.8" in my Mach 1 on the track. You should change it every year on a track car and there is no need to waste money on that expensive gear oil. Leave what came from the factory in it.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
As for gear oil I run the absolute cheapest bulk oil I can find in my 8.8" in my Mach 1 on the track. You should change it every year on a track car and there is no need to waste money on that expensive gear oil. Leave what came from the factory in it.
This is an interesting take. I don't race much but assumed the more expensive lubes offered better protection.

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is an interesting take. I don't race much but assumed the more expensive lubes offered better protection.
Superior protection claims are usually tied to longevity tests. I will put less than 2000 miles a year on the car as a track rat. I also run conventional motor oil, and believe beginning next year I will switch to Rotella diesel spec 15-40. Very cheap and offers great protection/additives no longer found in "light duty" oils.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Assuming 2015 Mustang the owners manual has this info for track use in the warrant area on page 12:

Using your vehicle on a dedicated road
course may result in degraded function
and failure of major systems such as the
engine, transmission and rear axle due to
the overheating of these systems. If you
intend to use your vehicle on a dedicated
road course, we suggest that you equip
your vehicle with racing-type coolers to
protect these three systems.
In addition, if the vehicle is subjected to
dedicated road course use, we recommend
the following vehicle durability
maintenance:
• Change your axle lubricant and friction
modifier after the initial (first) hour of
high-speed operation; thereafter
change the axle lubricant and friction
modifier every 12 hours (under these
conditions).
• Change your transmission oil after each
event where your vehicle is subjected
to individual on-track sessions
exceeding 15 minutes.
• Change your engine oil and filter after
each event.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I do an oil change after every 3k miles or track event, whichever comes first.

Then change the trans and diff fluid after every 2 events.

I would highly reccomend running a 40 weight for oil.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
40 weight unless you're a badass on the course. For the badass a 50w that isnt motorcraft is best. Motorcraft in under 1500 miles is no longer a 50w anyway. Get something that will stay 50w from spring to fall.

OP
OP

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
another vote for 40 weight oil.

Enjoy your JTI track day. They put on a fun, safe event with lots of track time. Nabil is good people.
Thats good to hear. One of the guys thats runs with us in the Cobra Club is an instructor for them and the Corvette Museum. He talked me into going down there cause of the amount of track time you get at such a low price.

Is 5W40 Joe Gibbs synthetic oil a good choice?

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
If you are looking at Driven oil, run the FR50. There is magic in it just for modular motors.
Can you explain why FR50 for a stock 2015 or newer Coyote?

If the engine is still stock this article appears to say that FR20 is the version to use while FR50 is appropriate for engines with oiling system modifications.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...s-fr50-and-fr20-oil-for-ford-modular-engines/

That said I realize that Ford spec'd their 5w-50 for the Boss 302 and maybe other Coyote engines prior to the 2015 version.

Edit to add: Per the new GT350 owner manual the Voodoo engine also uses 5w-50.

FR20

For high output modular Ford engines including the Coyote, there is a need for an engine oil that is the same viscosity as what Ford recommends from the factory, but is more stable under the heavier shearing loads, and heat from modified engines.

“Unless you’re changing bearing clearances or the oiling system, you should stick with the factory recommended viscosity,” says Speed. So in modified Coyote and modular engines, Driven’s FR20 engine oil offers the benefits of OE recommended viscosity, with better volatility and VI than an off the shelf product.

For high output modular engines that have had significant oiling system changes, such as to the bearing clearances or oil pump, Driven has their FR50 oil. Offering the same VI, and low volatility index benefits as the FR20 oil, FR50 is a 5w50 oil that will help looser bearing clearance engines maintain proper oil pressure. This is especially critical for Coyote and other variable valve timing engines that rely on that pressure to operate their variable cam timing systems.
Sponsored

Last edited: