Sponsored

Affordable Header Back Exhaust

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Hey Guys,

Below is just the Summit X pipe and the magnaflow mufflers. Rather than spending $1000+ on a catback of good sound quality, I decided to put something together myself. I have been welding and fabricating my own exhaust for years now on various vehicles I have owned. The 2015 Mustang GT catback piping is actually very nice with mandrel bends and dual 2.5" piping from the resonator to the rear mufflers, I wanted to maintain this. 3" is not necessary for the direction I am going. My exhaust consist of an x pipe/ resonator delete and I removed the factory mufflers and welded in two magnaflow mufflers that I carefully chose to fit in the factory muffler location. The idea was to retain as much of the stock piping as possible. After about an hour of designing the stock mufflers in solidworks and designing several different mufflers that I could purchase to replace the stocks with, I finally found a perfect muffler that will flow very well, fit perfectly, and sound amazing. This setup came out just as I was hoping it would. I finished off the catback with 4" 304 stainless tips that really set off the exhaust well.
I made different videos from two different devices just in case sound quality or picture quality was any better from one to the other.

[ame]

[ame]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to update the thread of pictures of my header install and custom connection pipe build. I want to thank my good buddy [MENTION=10548]cp5899[/MENTION] for his help installing and welding as I blindly made the cuts to build the connection pipes. The header install only took 4 hours or so, building the connection pipes was a pain in the ass and took an additional 5-6 hours, laying on the ground did not help. Looking back, I should have just bought the connection pipes with the headers, I saved money, but a lot of time was spent doing so. However, I did eliminate the 2 1/4" bottle neck slip fits and welded in true 3"-2.5" reducers to replace them. I bought the headers on a holiday sale for $475 shipped, spent $150 in the piping, $70 on the "V band" clamps, $175 on the stainless x pipe, $250 on the mufflers and tips. So total I spent around $1100 for all of the components for my full header back exhaust. I guess that's cheaper than buying it all lol. The headache almost didn't seem worth it. Plus I hate the rasp, so I'm going to be installing resonators soon to help eliminate that as well. I'm hoping that will be the end of it. Let me know what you guys think, videos of the new sound to come.

Let me know what you guys think.

Kris
20160209_165813.jpg
20160209_165845.jpg
20160209_165912.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
Sounds great! How is the drone? What model magnaflow did you go with? I love to do stuff myself as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
The drone is not bad at all. During cruising speeds, I can barely tell it's there. Even when I get on it, the volume is very tolerable. Way quieter than most of the various year models of mustangs around here.

I wanted a muffler that would sound great as catback and sound tame, then once I install long tubes, it should open up real nicely without blowing anyones eardrums out and still sound great and tame.

The mufflers are magnaflow, not flowmaster. I do not like the can sound of chambered mufflers, so I went with a straight through perforated core with packing style muffler. Flows very well, controls volume, and produces a nice deep tone with minimal rasp from the x pipe.

Kris

Crais

I call it Vera
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 DIB GT Premium PP
Did you have access to bending equipment or did you weld the bends?

Sponsored

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
Sorry I had a brain fart there, I corrected my post. I ran this exact set up with an X pipe and two glass packs on my last two cars. It really does sound good.

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
No piping was added. Simply replaced stock mufflers with new ones.

Kris

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Might I add, doing this setup only cost me a couple of hours of work and $350.

Kris

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I wanted to add some pictures of the setup as well so everyone can see the fit and quality of the work i've done as well as the fitment of the summitracing x pipe.

Kris

Sponsored

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
Very nice work, sounds great. I did something similar by buying roush mufflers and an x-pipe vs a full catback. Much more cost effective.

OP
OP

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Thank you, I'm very happy with it, it's perfect and exactly the sound and volume I was aiming for. It is the 11226 mufflers.

Kris

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special 10-spd
Very nice man! I have similar setup on mine, went the cheap/available route and put on Cherrybomb Vortex mufflers which are the same design and dimensions. Sounds really good with x-pipe.