Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The 2013-14 cars were were there from the factory. Intentionally engineering more lag into the turbo isn't necessarily going to help keep you from blowing the tires off.
No way is a car going to be drivable with 500 ft-lbs at tip in. You couldn't even stay on the road.

I'm calling BS on this until I see a dyno slip showing 500 ft-lbs at 700 rpm.
Sponsored

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
Ok, not at 700 rpm, but definitely by 2000 rpm. Just look up some 2013-14 dyno charts. You don't launch or drive at 700 rpm. Any sort of spirited driving will take place at or above 2000 rpm.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok, not at 700 rpm, but definitely by 2000 rpm. Just look up some 2013-14 dyno charts. You don't launch or drive at 700 rpm. Any sort of spirited driving will take place at or above 2000 rpm.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic.
Sounds pretty sweet for sure! :cheers:

I'm also sorry for OT. :)

Haz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPV GS Superchanged V8
Id say Voodoo 5.2 with ecoboost twin turbo for the GT500. Being the last gen has a 5.8 Trinity motor goin back to a 5.0 litre for the next GT500 would be goin backwards, otherwise the GT350 would outshine the GT500

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Dual Charging is an option. SC for the low end and then TC when the RPMs climb high.

Instantaneous boost all the time.

Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Moderators.........I hope this is OK here, if not please move to the most appropriate sub-section (perhaps we could/should have a future/rumour section? :) )

The GT500 is already being discussed in a number of threads so I thought it would be good to try and keep the discussion in one place.

OK, the car hasn't officially been recognised by Ford, but then neither was the GT350 until is was recently launched ;) Even Dave Pericak said "well, GT350 has good bones" when asked if they would be a GT500, so that's a near a confirmation we've had.

So, lets have your thoughts, hopes and dreams as far as GT500 is concerned.

Me? I want:

• '18MY - coincides with Mustang's first sheetmetal refresh (ideally, I'd like GT500 to have a relatively subtle wide-body look - Fisker's Rocket does this well)
  • 725hp/700lb ft
  • Ecoboost Coyote or
  • Supercharged Coyote 5.0
  • 6-speed manual OR 10-speed auto
  • MagnaRide suspension

GT500 HAS TO REMAIN A V8 please, Ford!!

:ford:

I think it will come based on Pericak's non denial. That said I doubt we see it it until we get closer to the first refresher of the S550. 2-3 years min, my money is 4 years from now.

Wish list
V8
More HP that any GM or Dodge product in its class
Fastest 1/4 in class

Would like to see them ditch the Shelby name, but I think they'll continue to milk it for marketing and money reasons. Would love to see a new model name in the Mustang lineup.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Why don't they call new things new names? The car industry is probably almost as bad as Hollywood at this point with all the 'remakes'.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Because everyone (even non-enthusiasts) knows the Shelby name and associate it with a "top dog" Mustang :)

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I'm pretty sure it was Jamal that said it had good bones but that's just academic.

It'll be 5 litres or less, with TT in the V.

Look out for DCT.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ah yes, of course it was. I'll amend my original post........thank you :cheers:

And I'd also happily buy what you've just described! :headbang:

Sponsored

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I would like to see the GT500 engine with a small S/C (1.7L) or a set of small turbos, for low end TQ. This will give us the best of both worlds.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Because everyone (even non-enthusiasts) knows the Shelby name and associate it with a "top dog" Mustang :)
Except they haven't really been top dog at anything since the sixties right? Seriously what have they done? I haven't heard the name associated with production Mustangs and generally those are all Ford cars anyway.

So they had the roadster, type 65 and a few cool early models... fixed the GT... then what?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Except they haven't really been top dog at anything since the sixties right? Seriously what have they done? I haven't heard the name associated with production Mustangs and generally those are all Ford cars anyway.

So they had the roadster, type 65 and a few cool early models... fixed the GT... then what?

67/68 GT500's were pretty big.

Shelby got pretty involved with Chrysler back in the 80's and produced some fun cars. The Dodge Omni GLH (Goes Like Hell) was a rocket of a hatch, so was the GLHS (Goes Like Hell S'more).

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
What I'd like to see won't happen.

DOHC, N/A, Aluminum block 6.2 bored up to 429.
650-700HP.

THAT's my engine there.
I thought about putting that down as my "wishful thinking." It would be purely for nostalgic purposes. And it could sound nasty. Otherwise any of the other proposed power plants would most likely outperform it. But it would definitely peg the cool meter for me.
Sponsored