Sponsored

Steeda Axle Back Exhaust ... Install Pics and Review!

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
*Long Term Review Added on Page 3*

Firstly, I want to confess that the Steeda system was not initially on my radar when it came to my aftermarket exhaust choice. I had my heart set on a quad tip system, but didn't want to pay $1000+ for an axle back and then have the issue of getting a Roush rear valence to fit (I have the base GT).
I chewed it over and came to the decision that I would opt for a regular dual tip set up, and use the money I would have spent on other performance mods.

I must have watched 100's of Mustang videos on YouTube, listening to the exhaust and trying to interpret what that would translate into 'real world' driving, meaning not just on a camera microphone. Not that easy.

Priority number #1 was to choose a set up that didn't give me a headache at steady speed cruising. This is my daily driver, and whilst I can appreciate a good sounding hell-raiser of an exhaust system, I did not want to have the car constantly shouting at me.

Insert into the picture the Steeda axle back. This ended up top of the list of kits that were marketed as 'no drone'. I had not seen a Steeda equipped Mustang in person, so I took a gamble that I would like it....and so far my first days impressions are excellent.

Low speed accelerations between 1.5k to 3k rpm are nice and deep, like low rolling thunder. Open up the throttle and at WOT it really gives a clear and deep roar. Overall, couldn't be happier and highly recommend this kit to anyone who wants a muffler that is going to give you smiles but not wake the dead with drone and excessive noise.

On to the photos...Yes I know fitting an axle back is as simple as making a bowl of cereal, but regardless some people who are considering DIY fitment may find this simple write up a good reference point.

Car was put on a lift to make things easier. But putting it on axle stands or ramps that would be no problem either...

Following the install instruction sheet provided, we cut 2.5" after the elbow straightens:

We used a sawzall, then de-burred the edges with a file:

I test fit the exhaust, but didn't like the tailpipes protruding too far. So i cut another 3/4" off and was happy with the position of the tailpipe. In this photo the backbox was still supported by the prop stand, so it sits a bit lower than this (Not as close to the rear differential as this photo suggests)...

A good comparison of OEM tailpipe on the left and Steeda on the right. In my opinion looks spot on. Fills the hole in the bumper perfectly and looks tasteful:

Once I had repeated this process for the other side, we tightened down the clamps and ensured everything was rock solid:

And Voila...the end result. Started it up and immediately said 'Hell yeah!'.

Anyone considering this exhaust during the black friday sales, you won't be disappointed with your purchase.

Thanks to Steeda for a great price on the exhaust @David@Steeda

I will post a video tomorrow to add to this thread.

Cheers,

SoCalTim :cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Nice, finally some pics of this axle back without the tips sticking out too far. Looks perfect!
Glad you like it :headbang:

My only concern when ordering the kit was whether it was the actual tailpipes were a little longer, which caused them to stick out. However that wasn't the case, just cut a little more off the clamping point and tucks in the tailpipes nicely.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I am curious to hear your impressions if you cruise around town at lower speeds in higher gears (say going 40 mph in 5th gear). Thanks for any input. Enjoy your new set-up!

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I am curious to hear your impressions if you cruise around town at lower speeds in higher gears (say going 40 mph in 5th gear). Thanks for any input. Enjoy your new set-up!
Funnily enough I have just got back from a drive, where I was assessing its city driving manners.

In higher gears at 40mph, it just purrs along, only slightly louder than OEM. Just a very light background rumble when you are slightly in-throttle. If you aren't on the throttle at all, and just cruising along at steady speed, very quiet.

That all changes when you start to accelerate though...stretches its vocal chords and gives a decent amount of in-car sound.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
That all changes when you start to accelerate though...stretches its vocal chords and gives a decent amount of in-car sound.
Thanks for your impressions! Do you experience that in-car sound as "volume" or "pressure" in your ears in that driving mode?

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I'll describe it at WOT as best I can. Some aftermarket exhausts have an overwhelming humming/pressure sensation in your ears when you are on the throttle, however the Steeda is not like that. The firing of the cylinders is clear, so you get that V8 noise without alot of 'boomy' overtones if that makes sense?

I have since watched the Steeda promotional video for the exhaust, and I must stress it does not due the exhaust justice. I have tried taking a short video on my iphone 6, but that also has the same issue. Some things just have to be heard in person I guess.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Is it loud enough? It has a nice deep rumble but in Steeda's video, it doesn't sound very loud as it takes off.

Didn't even know they had an AB! Is this new?

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Is it loud enough? It has a nice deep rumble but in Steeda's video, it doesn't sound very loud as it takes off.

Make no mistake, even though this is 'no drone' system, it has plenty of volume.

I believe the axle back kit has been on the market for a couple of months now.

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang

There is a dedicated Steeda AB Thread going...

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31628

Great install by the way...the tips sit in the perfect spot.. Im still tossing up between these or a full catback either ARH with H pipe or Borla Touring....the Steeda AB's if they sound right and of what I've heard they have a nice clean sound why not save my money and get these I say...

Sponsored
OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Im still tossing up between these or a full catback either ARH with H pipe or Borla Touring....the Steeda AB's if they sound right and of what I've heard they have a nice clean sound why not save my money and get these I say...
My plan was to install the Steeda axle back on its own at first, then if in the future I want more volume I can install an X-pipe or H-pipe.

For now, this is already way loud enough.

:)

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
One thing I want to add is that this is a very deep sounding exhaust.

So if you like that deep muscle car rumble, get this installed and you won't look back.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I can't wait for vids. I bought the roush and it's getting installed in about 10 hours. My first real mod on my first real car. I'm actually nervous and hope I like it.

This would def be on my radar too but seems like it "just" came out a couple months ago. Not many videos out as well. Need to hear this some more, hope I didn't make the wrong choice!!

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I can't wait for vids. I bought the roush and it's getting installed in about 10 hours. My first real mod on my first real car. I'm actually nervous and hope I like it.

This would def be on my radar too but seems like it "just" came out a couple months ago. Not many videos out as well. Need to hear this some more, hope I didn't make the wrong choice!!
My main point of reference was the Steeda video. I was 50/50 on whether or not I would like it, but figured considering Steeda have been putting out alot of high quality products that the exhaust would not disappoint.

I'm sure you'll love the Roush sound. I've only heard it on videos, but it was on my 'maybe' list before I finally decided on the Steeda.

First time you fire it up after the install you'll be like 'so there is a V8 in there after all!' Lol :D

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you heard the roush in person? I'm just listening to clips before I pass out this one is kind of making me cringe, sounds a bit farty. ><

[ame]

edit: more whiny/raspy not farty. I can only hope it's just the camera sound/mic...
Sponsored