Sponsored

BUNNY HOP AT 140 mph+++

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
During my last trip down to Mexico, I almost dead myself. My car jounces and hops around like the energizer bunny at speed. Expansion joints on the freeway feel like speed bumps, and the car feels unstable as hell.

The mods are as listed, and I just ordered a set of adj. bumpstops from Steeda. What am I doing wrong? The Konis are set to medium, front and back. I've clocked the bushings, but little else.

Suggestions????:hail:

I don't wanna dead
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
During my last trip down to Mexico, I almost dead myself. My car jounces and hops around like the energizer bunny at speed. Expansion joints on the freeway feel like speed bumps, and the car feels unstable as hell.

The mods are as listed, and I just ordered a set of adj. bumpstops from Steeda. What am I doing wrong? The Konis are set to medium, front and back. I've clocked the bushings, but little else.

I don't wanna dead
Did you trim the bump stops one inch from production? this would be a start. Also, on rough roads you want to soften up the suspension. You can pm me your contact info and I will reach out to you to discuss further.

Mike D

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Yeah probably going to be related to the bump stops.

You didn't mention it, but did this start at a specific time after a specific modification? Or did it just randomly appear?

Keep us updated once you get the new stops on.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

I don't wanna dead

Don't do 140+ on a public roadway not knowing what action someone else WILL do and you WON'T have enough time to take evasive action = you dead.

OP
OP
MikeyPee

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Did you trim the bump stops one inch from production? this would be a start. Also, on rough roads you want to soften up the suspension. You can pm me your contact info and I will reach out to you to discuss further.

Mike D
Will do. I ordered your bumpstop kit, and will report back after the install

Yeah probably going to be related to the bump stops.

You didn't mention it, but did this start at a specific time after a specific modification? Or did it just randomly appear?

Keep us updated once you get the new stops on.
It started after the install of all the BMR goodies, so I did some research, which led me to the bushing clocking idea. The problem persists...

Don't do 140+ on a public roadway not knowing what action someone else WILL do and you WON'T have enough time to take evasive action = you dead.
You don't say? That's why I value my membership here: it helps me evaluate risk tolerance

Sponsored

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
Not all public roadways are created equal. When you can see for miles, no cars, no houses, and no cops, there isn't any risk to anybody but yourself. Might as well go fast enough to kill you instantly, I go 150+

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What setting are your shocks on?

If the road isn't suitable, don't do it.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
IMO koni's compression is way too stiff for street driving let alone going over small bumps while street racing. They are only rebound adjustable.

I'd swap the shocks for something more compliant. If you're unwilling to do that, try the bump stops and/or raise ride height. I live in the bay also and it felt like any speed over 85mph was unsafe with my konis.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
IMO koni's compression is way too stiff for street driving let alone going over small bumps while street racing. They are only rebound adjustable.

I'd swap the shocks for something more compliant. If you're unwilling to do that, try the bump stops and/or raise ride height. I live in the bay also and it felt like any speed over 85mph was unsafe with my konis.
if your car was unsafe while "street racing", it wasn't the Konis fault. Suggesting that the OP should go with softer shocks when his car is already "bouncing" is irresponsible and demonstrates a severe misunderstanding about how suspensions work. :frusty:

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
if your car was unsafe while "street racing", it wasn't the Konis fault. Suggesting that the OP should go with softer shocks when his car is already "bouncing" is irresponsible and demonstrates a severe misunderstanding about how suspensions work. :frusty:
You're right. The OP didn't mention the car going up and down with too many unneeded undulations, that would show signs of an underdamped system.

Having first-hand experience with the koni shocks on this car and driving on quite possibly the same roads, I can only assume OP experienced the same that I had experienced... absolutely too much compression on the shocks.

Since then I got JRZ RS pros and I run a much softer compression and slightly softer rebound setting on the street, and the suspension is much more compliant and infinitely safer at speed. I can increase compression independent of rebound and mimic the Koni's, which I had done for fun... but it's an awful setup for where I live.

I am quite well versed in vibrations and dynamic systems... I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. But absolutely there could be more to this story. Like I said, I was assuming what he had experienced. Again... just my $0.02

Sponsored

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
To the OP. Had a similar experience with a dip in the road on a highway. After stiffening the Konis in the rear problem solved. I have the Eibah pro-kit springs. You may need to trim the rear bump stops but I'd stiffen the rear more. Mine are on the stiff side and the car handles much better at speed than setting them in the middle of the stiffing game range.

OP
OP
MikeyPee

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
What setting are your shocks on?

If the road isn't suitable, don't do it.
Sorry for the absence...

Right now, front and back are a half turn from full stiff, but obviously it's too much. I'm gonna slowly work up to, what I hope will be, compliance, a half turn at a time.

I talked to the guy who installed the dampeners, and he told me he trimmed the bumpstops. I have the Steedas though, and I'm just gonna install the rears for now, since that is way easier

You're right. The OP didn't mention the car going up and down with too many unneeded undulations, that would show signs of an underdamped system.

Having first-hand experience with the koni shocks on this car and driving on quite possibly the same roads, I can only assume OP experienced the same that I had experienced... absolutely too much compression on the shocks.

Since then I got JRZ RS pros and I run a much softer compression and slightly softer rebound setting on the street, and the suspension is much more compliant and infinitely safer at speed. I can increase compression independent of rebound and mimic the Koni's, which I had done for fun... but it's an awful setup for where I live.

I am quite well versed in vibrations and dynamic systems... I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. But absolutely there could be more to this story. Like I said, I was assuming what he had experienced. Again... just my $0.02
Gonna pick up the Steeda shock mounts after reading this:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79508

To the OP. Had a similar experience with a dip in the road on a highway. After stiffening the Konis in the rear problem solved. I have the Eibah pro-kit springs. You may need to trim the rear bump stops but I'd stiffen the rear more. Mine are on the stiff side and the car handles much better at speed than setting them in the middle of the stiffing game range.
This is why I went full stiff and currently working my way to softer dampening.

Last edited:

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Sorry for the absence...

Right now, front and back are a half turn from full stiff, but obviously it's too much. I'm gonna slowly work up to, what I hope will be, compliance, a half turn at a time.

I talked to the guy who installed the dampeners, and he told me he trimmed the bumpstops. I have the Steedas though, and I'm just gonna install the rears for now, since that is way easier

Gonna pick up the Syeeda shock mounts after reading this:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79508

This is why I went full stiff and currently worker my way to softer dampening.
Seems like as you get to the full stiff point small incremental movements make a difference. Try 3/4 from full stiff in the rear. A quarter turn, to me, seems to make a bigger difference. I'm interested in rear shock mounts after ready a couple other posts too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MikeyPee

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Seems like as you get to the full stiff point small incremental movements make a difference. Try 3/4 from full stiff in the rear. A quarter turn, to me, seems to make a bigger difference. I'm interested in rear shock mounts after ready a couple other posts too.
Yes sir!!

I'm pretty sure it'll cure or hugely improve your issue.
I hope so brutha
Sponsored