2002 Camaro SS VS. Ecoboost

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
And wouldn't you want to replace the junk cast pistons that disintegrate so easily? And you should really upgrade the crank because it's not made to handle that much power? Oh, and a new block because the sleeves are too thin to bore?

LS1 just has so many flaws.
I have experience w/ many higher hp LS1s that never exhibited any of these issues. Reciting internet propoganda?

Erik427 said:
My 2000 and 2001 Camaros both weighed around 3,600lbs. Never pulled anything near 300rwhp even after mods. Sorry, but this is the truth. Mid 13's and no faster.
Sorry Erik, this says more about you, your lack of driving ability, or your lack of ability to modify your car adequately than the platform. I ran 13.40s in a stock 00 WS6 while having issues shifting into 3rd due to the stock slave cylinder. Those cars were/are quite fast for being sold 15 years ago...even by today's standards.

Maybe the hate is jealousy of the LS engine's dominance for so many years...or the absolute dominance in the aftermarket?:shrug:
Sponsored

Last edited:

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
My 2000 and 2001 Camaros both weighed around 3,600lbs. Never pulled anything near 300rwhp even after mods. Sorry, but this is the truth. Mid 13's and no faster.

I dont know where you are getting that weight from.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sports/112_9807_camaro_vs_mustang/tech_data.html

Way too many people got 290-300+ rwhp on the dyno.

The car was a mid to high 13 second car. In the hands of tiny fraction the car ran low 13 high 12s. The low 13s high 12s were nowhere near the norm and needed a great driver. It was a hero run that should not be expected.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/car-reviews/0208mmff-mustang-camaro-shootout/
camaroz28.jpg

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
I have experience w/ many higher hp LS1s that never exhibited any of these issues. Reciting internet propoganda?

Sorry Erik, this says more about you, your lack of driving ability, or your lack of ability to modify your car adequately than the platform. I ran 13.40s in a stock 00 WS6 while having issues shifting into 3rd due to the stock slave cylinder. Those cars were/are quite fast for being sold 15 years ago...even by today's standards.

Maybe the hate is jealousy of the LS engine's dominance for so many years...or the absolute dominance in the aftermarket?:shrug:
Im with you... I dont get the hate of these cars. Hate that is trying to give the cars a heavier weight than reality along with alot less rwhp.
I had to live through that era in a 94 GT. LT1s and LS1s were crushing Mustangs. At the time I was young and foolish and would street race all the time. Anyone in a stock 94-2002 Mustang GT would dread pulling up to either LS1 or LT1 car. You would get destroyed. At the track with a full 1/4 mile it was even worse than the street.
But thank God for the aftermarket. While braggin rights stock for stock was a lost cause, the awesome Mustang aftermarket could help.
Heads, intake, cam, exhaust and some supporting mods on my 94 helped me to walk many a LT1 or LS1 from a roll. Add drag radials and I pulled on em at the strip.

This whole argument took place as it happened. We are arguing over something that was settled along time ago. Stang guys then said "Impossible" that a few extraordinary runs got 12s. But as more time went on and people actually got to see it for all but the most die hard conspiracy theory people it was pretty much the consensus that a handful of people got 12s from the LS1.

Now if Evan Smith comes on this forum and says that this was a giant ploy and in fact he and his magazine MMFF, CHP did lie then I will except it. Some are saying that since those mags are sister publications that this was a ploy to sell magazines. I cant belive that. Evan Smith has gotten some ridiculous times for all kinds of cars. 13.3 for a 2005 Mustang GT. 13.1 for a Mach 1. 12.6 for a Termi.

If an 05 GT at 3500ish and 265-270 rwhp can run 13.3 than why cant an LS1 @ 3400ish and 300rwhp run 12s?
If a Mach 1 at 3400ish and 260ish rwhp can run 13.1 what about the LS1?

Add in the the LS1 had more torque and it started lower in the power band for me it way too easy to say yes the LS1 can run 12s.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
My son's stock 2000 Camaro SS 6 speed manual with 80k miles put down 321rwhp just like the article above. It was a consistent 13.1 1/4 mile car (traction limited) and weighed 3,400lbs per truck scale.

One of my other son's had a 2002 Trans AM auto that ran 13.2 in the 1/4 all stock.

[ame]

Last edited:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
with a newer model SS?
I think the kids that own the EBs need to quit trying to compare the 4 banger to everything. The EB is a high 13 second car at best stock. Once you start modding everything can be made fast as hell. so he who spends the most at that point wins! I had a 4 banger neon that ran 11s@122. So I know where the EB guys are coming from! All V8 Camaros made after 1997 will be faster than an EB.:shrug:The big question is would you rather have a car that's 14-18 years old with sketchy build quality and has most likely has a lot of hard miles put on it or a brand new EB? You add a tune, downpipe and intercooler and your beating the V8 cars stock times.

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
I'd rather have the ECO boost...

I think the kids that own the EBs need to quit trying to compare the 4 banger to everything. The EB is a high 13 second car at best stock. Once you start modding everything can be made fast as hell. so he who spends the most at that point wins! I had a 4 banger neon that ran 11s@122. So I know where the EB guys are coming from! All V8 Camaros made after 1997 will be faster than an EB.:shrug:The big question is would you rather have a car that's 14-18 years old with sketchy build quality and has most likely has a lot of hard miles put on it or a brand new EB? You add a tune, downpipe and intercooler and your beating the V8 cars stock times.
But if I was in a situation where I could not afford a new V8, I'd save until I could, or get one a few years old.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
You are right. He who spends the most will win the race. The dealerships do hype the EB up.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
OP just shared his experience vs a camaro...which last time I checked was what this subforum was for. :shrug:

It is likely the EB pulled the ls1 from a dig but the big end power of the Camaro reeled him in...used to happen all the time with my foxbody when it was basically stock with gears...60 mph, shift to third, and the Mustang falls on its face right when the Camaro really starts building steam.

No reason to imply all EB owners are 'kids' as if they need to grow up or something. There are a number of EB owners who have had turbo V8s and want to try something different. Not all of us had the pleasure (?) of hot rodding a neon.

I also think he who spends the least for any given ET, and acheives the best mpgs while doing it for any class of car wins, personally...

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
My friend had an SRT4 Neon....

Not all of us had the pleasure (?) of hot rodding a neon.

I also think he who spends the least for any given ET, and acheives the best mpgs while doing it for any class of car wins, personally...
It was quick, and fun. I wouldn't buy one. I've had tuners and they were all imports. I returned to American V8's because I believe their days are numbered.

Back to the Neon issue....bet it would be a good competition against ECO stangs.....perhaps I'll start a thread.

Sponsored
OP
OP

EcoSith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TUNE+ Meth injected Mustang
I got nothing but respect for LS cars, but yeah, I've had v8s and am starting to get addicted to these turbo4's. It's different and fun. My end game is an upgraded turbo, intercooler, and tune. Not trying to go balls deep just trying to make a fun DD.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
OP just shared his experience vs a camaro...which last time I checked was what this subforum was for. :shrug:

It is likely the EB pulled the ls1 from a dig but the big end power of the Camaro reeled him in...used to happen all the time with my foxbody when it was basically stock with gears...60 mph, shift to third, and the Mustang falls on its face right when the Camaro really starts building steam.

No reason to imply all EB owners are 'kids' as if they need to grow up or something. There are a number of EB owners who have had turbo V8s and want to try something different. Not all of us had the pleasure (?) of hot rodding a neon.

why so sensitive??? I never said anything about the OP or implied anything about EB owners. I simple stated that stock for stock the LS1 is beating the EB. All the other implied crap is happening in your mind. I never imply anything. I say or type exactly what's on my mind! Go pick a fight somewhere else. Your not dragging me in to the poor picked on, tired, wore out, every one beats up on the EB owner nonsense again! If you read the entire thread instead of trying to start sh!t over a single sentence or was it a single word that offended you this time? You'd realize I said a bolt on EB will give V8 cars a run for their money. But instead you go right back to the EB vs V8 owner well of Bull sh!t! You think the EBs are great. Good for you. I like big V8s! Maybe that's why Ford makes both??? There's probably a reason you typed what you did at the bottom of your sig.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
why so sensitive??? I never said anything about the OP or implied anything about EB owners. I simple stated that stock for stock the LS1 is beating the EB. All the other implied crap is happening in your mind. I never imply anything. I say or type exactly what's on my mind! Go pick a fight somewhere else. Your not dragging me in to the poor picked on, tired, wore out, every one beats up on the EB owner nonsense again! If you read the entire thread instead of trying to start sh!t over a single sentence or was it a single word that offended you this time? You'd realize I said a bolt on EB will give V8 cars a run for their money. But instead you go right back to the EB vs V8 owner well of Bull sh!t! You think the EBs are great. Good for you. I like big V8s! Maybe that's why Ford makes both??? There's probably a reason you typed what you did at the bottom of your sig.
:lol:

Who's sensitive? I pointed out you called EB owners 'kids', which is what, supposed to be a compliment? Take responsibility for your words and don't play innocent when someone calls you on it when you say something stupid.

Thanks for the obtuse diatribe though...if it keeps you from hitting your wife or kids or kicking the dog, vent away...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
:lol:

Who's sensitive? I pointed out you called EB owners 'kids', which is what, supposed to be a compliment? Take responsibility for your words and don't play innocent when someone calls you on it when you say something stupid.

Thanks for the obtuse diatribe though...if it keeps you from hitting your wife or kids or kicking the dog, vent away...
Sorry buddy,your right. I guess I should call Everyone sir or ........Oh I don't know. Your the one upset over a single word this time so what do you personally recommend? Like I said go pick a fight with someone else. Did you notice your the ONLY guy that got upset with my wording? Sorry I offended you......Kid.:DNow go on and listen to your own advice in your sig. I plan on taking it. so I'm done with your idiotic nonsense.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Sorry buddy,your right. I guess I should call Everyone sir or ........Oh I don't know. Your the one upset over a single word this time so what do you personally recommend? Like I said go pick a fight with someone else. Did you notice your the ONLY guy that got upset with my wording? Sorry I offended you......Kid.:DNow go on and listen to your own advice in your sig. I plan on taking it. so I'm done with your idiotic nonsense.
"You're" vs "your"

Correct grammar...learn it...love it.
Sponsored