Sponsored

Whipple discussion

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, just wondering how many of you might be entertaining the thought of putting a Whipple whine maker under the bonnet?
My car doesn't arrive until October (in theory) so I'm in no rush.
I see that Yella Terra are the local "sole" importer for the product BUT-
You can get it through the backdoor (literally and figuratively) from KPM (Hennessy) or Mustang Motorsports (Shelby Supersnake)...
Regardless, Yella Terra are the cheapest and yet they still want too much for the damn thing!!
I'm trying to work out a couple of things.

1. How does $7400 USD (full list price) magically become $14,300 Aud?
At the current exchange rate the conversion is about $9600 add freight and GST/import duties and you won't get anywhere near the figures they're quoting.
And that's without getting a better price from the U.S.......which is EASILY done.

2. Compatibility. Are Yella Terra taking the piss? They seem to be suggesting that their kit is the only one that will work on an Aus delivered vehicle.
Is there any chance that they might be trying to control the local market?

3. Who would be interested in a group buy? I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes if it means we might be able to save some dollars.

4. Do I REALLY need this much oomph in my life? I see an issue where my car might be visiting the local tyre shop more often than is "normal"...

No offence to the local suppliers, it's just that the pricing they're offering is MILES off the mark. If you want my business, you'll need to compete for it.
From where I sit, anything offered as "sole distributor" is going to be overpriced.
It's called monopolising the market, and it only works for the person holding the monopoly... But I could be wrong, it's happened once before :doh:
I want to support the local guys, but they really need to help us to help them.
Sponsored

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Definitely interested, or would entertain the idea....

The local prices put me off a bit. Im looking into ways to import my own kit reasonably... Im not going to just throw money at a local company just because they ask for it.

And have no problem waiting either, not in a big rush to supercharge. Ill do it when the numbers make sense.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Hey guys, just wondering how many of you might be entertaining the thought of putting a Whipple whine maker under the bonnet?
My car doesn't arrive until October (in theory) so I'm in no rush.
I see that Yella Terra are the local "sole" importer for the product BUT-
You can get it through the backdoor (literally and figuratively) from KPM (Hennessy) or Mustang Motorsports (Shelby Supersnake)...
Regardless, Yella Terra are the cheapest and yet they still want too much for the damn thing!!
I'm trying to work out a couple of things.

1. How does $7400 USD (full list price) magically become $14,300 Aud?
At the current exchange rate the conversion is about $9600 add freight and GST/import duties and you won't get anywhere near the figures they're quoting.
And that's without getting a better price from the U.S.......which is EASILY done.

2. Compatibility. Are Yella Terra taking the piss? They seem to be suggesting that their kit is the only one that will work on an Aus delivered vehicle.
Is there any chance that they might be trying to control the local market?

3. Who would be interested in a group buy? I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes if it means we might be able to save some dollars.

4. Do I REALLY need this much oomph in my life? I see an issue where my car might be visiting the local tyre shop more often than is "normal"...

No offence to the local suppliers, it's just that the pricing they're offering is MILES off the mark. If you want my business, you'll need to compete for it.
From where I sit, anything offered as "sole distributor" is going to be overpriced.
It's called monopolising the market, and it only works for the person holding the monopoly... But I could be wrong, it's happened once before :doh:
I want to support the local guys, but they really need to help us to help them.
Markup
So this is one of the main issues we have and it isn't just Yella Terra, a lot of operators are putting on the Mustang Tax and applying their excessive markup to some of their products.

KPM/Streetfighter was called out on it very early and I don't think many people have purchased from them on this forum.

The whipple kit does need to be slightly altered for the RHD mustang's, in fact [MENTION=19807]SteveP[/MENTION] has just installed a whipple on his UK RHD Mustang, which looks amazing. I'm sure he could talk to the changes he had to make.

Product rebranding and US shaming

The other issue I have seen and read (not on this forum) is that certain vendors have made broad statements such as

"Vehicle manufacturers need also to take into account Dba ratings for Australian regulations, internal cabin comfort etc eg Drone .

Many aftermarket systems do not take any of this into account.

We have already had Mustangs in our factory fitted with popular U.S brand aftermarket exhausts that have introduced cabin drone and have become not pleasurable to drive.
"

So essentially what they are doing is trying to coax people not to spend their money overseas and buy their product, which I don't have an issue with. But making blank statements like that when they aren't true is misleading and disappointing. I won't call the vendor out but that is a copy paste of exactly what they said.

We also have another vendor who has imported a special Australian version of a US branded exhaust. I have messaged the manufacturer and there is no special Australian version so they are just bringing across an exhaust from the US and charging their markup on top for a 'special version'.

Not all is bad
There are some vendors who's pricing is competitive and that is where my money would have gone if I didn't have a great relationship with some American Vendors. For wheels Paul [MENTION=11685]Need4SpeedMotors[/MENTION] has delivered AMAZING customer service, I couldn't recommend him more.

The honesty from [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] is something I have seldom seen anywhere, he actually recommended a competitors product combined with his own for the best system to stop wheelhop. I love the fact that he was honest.

[MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] from Hypermotive & [MENTION=20080]Chris@Lethal[/MENTION] from Lethal performance, both were amazing to work with and are quick at getting back to any messages or questions you have. They actually get back to me quicker than local vendors

Yes these vendors are located half way across the world, but it is where I have spent my money and it's where I would recommend people to spend their money. Local suppliers have a lot to live up to and only one will be getting my business for an install.

Kade744

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kade
Vehicle(s)
Company Car/ BMW S1000RR
I'm considering it... But was put off by the mark ups. I pick my car up on Tuesday so I'm sure once I have it and get bored of the power in 6 months I would be keen. My tax return should cover it :headbonk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to think that one lucky US based company might have a very healthy sale on their hands...

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Markup

The honesty from [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] is something I have seldom seen anywhere, he actually recommended a competitors product combined with his own for the best system to stop wheelhop. I love the fact that he was honest.

[MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] from Hypermotive & [MENTION=20080]Chris@Lethal[/MENTION] from Lethal performance, both were amazing to work with and are quick at getting back to any messages or questions you have. They actually get back to me quicker than local vendors
Hear hear!

Big ups to [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20080]Chris@Lethal[/MENTION] for their support so far.

Keep an eye on their vendor pages for discounts to offset some of that crappy Australian dollar!

Stubai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (on its way)
G Rush and Aus MustangGT Thank you.

I had words with Street fighter regarding pricing and have after long deliberation decided not to go with them. The response i got on the forum was a s good as mustang tax. I mean no disrespect to the company and each to their own but at that price I feel I can get better bang for buck.

I would be really curious as to what was recommended by BMR-tech for stop hop. Up until three days ago I was convinced on the Steeda package for $1300 but if there is a better option I am all ears.

To get back on thread trackI will probably supercharge down the track. There is a local supplier for pro-charge who are offering a very decent price comparative to other products. and super charger aside some of the other items they are selling I would buy from them as they are very competitive with overseas. Ultimately I am not sure of what type of supercharger I would go for when I do go down that path but the whipple is another on my list of considerations. Certainly if it came out at a ball park figure of what the local delivered pro-charge was at I would consider.

Like most that have already posted, I am interested and in no hurry.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
G Rush and Aus MustangGT Thank you.

I had words with Street fighter regarding pricing and have after long deliberation decided not to go with them. The response i got on the forum was a s good as mustang tax. I mean no disrespect to the company and each to their own but at that price I feel I can get better bang for buck.

I would be really curious as to what was recommended by BMR-tech for stop hop. Up until three days ago I was convinced on the Steeda package for $1300 but if there is a better option I am all ears.

To get back on thread trackI will probably supercharge down the track. There is a local supplier for pro-charge who are offering a very decent price comparative to other products. and super charger aside some of the other items they are selling I would buy from them as they are very competitive with overseas. Ultimately I am not sure of what type of supercharger I would go for when I do go down that path but the whipple is another on my list of considerations. Certainly if it came out at a ball park figure of what the local delivered pro-charge was at I would consider.

Like most that have already posted, I am interested and in no hurry.
What sort of dollars would get you interested?

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT

[MENTION=21594]Stubai[/MENTION] have a good read through here

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23215

BMR go through all their options in the discussion pages.

I am a big fan of 'elegant' solutions, and BMR's tickles my mechanical engineering fancy. I know when it's getting tickled because I'm a mech engineer haha

But I also don't want too much NVH because daily, so that's why at this stage i'm only going to do CB005.

Sponsored

FPV GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY GT
Seriously considering yes.
Importing the kit, having it installed, and engineered will cost significanty less than what I have seen quoted.

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Markup
So this is one of the main issues we have and it isn't just Yella Terra, a lot of operators are putting on the Mustang Tax and applying their excessive markup to some of their products.

KPM/Streetfighter was called out on it very early and I don't think many people have purchased from them on this forum.

The whipple kit does need to be slightly altered for the RHD mustang's, in fact [MENTION=19807]SteveP[/MENTION] has just installed a whipple on his UK RHD Mustang, which looks amazing. I'm sure he could talk to the changes he had to make.

Product rebranding and US shaming

The other issue I have seen and read (not on this forum) is that certain vendors have made broad statements such as

"Vehicle manufacturers need also to take into account Dba ratings for Australian regulations, internal cabin comfort etc eg Drone .

Many aftermarket systems do not take any of this into account.

We have already had Mustangs in our factory fitted with popular U.S brand aftermarket exhausts that have introduced cabin drone and have become not pleasurable to drive.
"

So essentially what they are doing is trying to coax people not to spend their money overseas and buy their product, which I don't have an issue with. But making blank statements like that when they aren't true is misleading and disappointing. I won't call the vendor out but that is a copy paste of exactly what they said.

We also have another vendor who has imported a special Australian version of a US branded exhaust. I have messaged the manufacturer and there is no special Australian version so they are just bringing across an exhaust from the US and charging their markup on top for a 'special version'.

Not all is bad
There are some vendors who's pricing is competitive and that is where my money would have gone if I didn't have a great relationship with some American Vendors. For wheels Paul [MENTION=11685]Need4SpeedMotors[/MENTION] has delivered AMAZING customer service, I couldn't recommend him more.

Yes these vendors are located half way across the world, but it is where I have spent my money and it's where I would recommend people to spend their money. Local suppliers have a lot to live up to and only one will be getting my business for an install.
I'm glad we can be apart of your build and will always be happy to help you out! :cheers::cheers:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those who missed it, it seems that the ONLY differences for the RHD install are:
Either cut the K brace or buy aftermarket engine mounts AND alter the brake booster lines.
Nothing significant.
My calculations see the kit, landed here, after taxes etc. somewhere around $11,000 - $12,000 without any discounts for group buy or freight.
I'm excited!!

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Thanks for the rep:) We're always here to help out!

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Getting parts is easy, but the question is who is going to do the tune for our market and our cars? Will it be compatible with our fuel and conditions?
Sponsored