Trackaholic's GT350 Experience

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The track attack was a great time. I can't wait to go again. Shame on me for not clicking on this thread before, great thread!
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey [MENTION=7132]Trackaholic[/MENTION],
Great thread, thanks for sharing all!
Thanks too for posting that billboard pic :lol:.
I was thinking in Mormon country, very funny indeed :D

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Thanks for the support guys!

Here is my latest update:

Currently at ~15,400 miles, so about 900 from when I had the oil changed. It's also been almost exactly one month since the oil change.

Dipstick is at the 1/2 mark, catch can had a noticeable amount, but not as much as the last one. Definitely caught it before capacity this time. I think the dipstick was near the top when I first had the oil changed, so I will check again in 1000 miles and see where we stand.

I also changed out the air filter. The original yellow one was very dirty, and had been since I got the car home from OK. I think it may have even been dirty from the factory, but not 100% sure on that (definitely not as dirty as it was at the end though).

Interestingly, when I pulled the filter off, I noticed that the seal had buckled during initial installation, but hopefully it was still doing a decent job of blocking junk from getting inside. The OEM seal is very soft and pliable, so I suspect it was still sealing well and had just folded over on itself.

The replacement I ordered was the Ford Performance one from CJ Pony Parts, linked here:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-per...00-2010-2014-gt350-gt350r-2015-2017/p/M9601G/

I paid $89 for it, but of course it's on sale now for $80.

What arrived was a Ford Racing box, and inside that was an Airaid box, with an Ariaid Synthamax Blue filter. I was a little surprised that it wasn't the OEM filter, but it actually seems quite a bit nicer. Apparently it is a washable filter, so I may look more into that in another 15,000 miles. Anyone have experience with these filters? Do you prefer to wash or to get new ones?

In any event, the removal of the old filter and install of the new one was extremely easy. It took about 5 minutes with a flat blade screwdriver to loosen the band clamp on the old filter, pop it off, slide the new on in (getting it in the airbox was the toughest part) and then tightening the new band clamp. I did reverse the direction of the Ariaid band clamp so the screw would be facing toward the front.

So, that's it for now. We'll see how things look in another 1000 miles, at which point I may be adding some oil.

Still slacking on the track days, and with the holidays it is harder to find time away from work to go, but hopefully I can squeeze in one more before the end of the year.

-T
IMG_1600_small.jpg
IMG_1603_small.jpg
IMG_1605_small.jpg
IMG_1597_small.jpg
IMG_1596_small.jpg
IMG_1598_small.jpg

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
My car had the same issue with the factory air filter installation (bottom folded over and pinched). Like the OP said it is a simple check and fix GT350 owners should do.

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Latest update:

~17,000 miles (1600 since last check)

Oil is definitely low, although trying to get a good reading is a royal pain. Seems the first reading has oil smeared all over the dipstick, the second reading may be pretty good, then by the third you've dragged oil up the dipstick tube and everything after is questionable again. You can see that one side of the stick shows oil below the lowest dot, while the opposide side shows oil much higher. In any case, definitely time to add a quart or two.

Lots of oil in the catch can this time as well, plus some milky fluid.

Some photos attached.

-T
IMG_1777_small.jpg
IMG_1778_small.jpg
IMG_1779_small.jpg
IMG_1780_small.jpg

Reactions: TDC

Sponsored

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
Milky fluid? Are you suspecting coolant in your oil?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Why would you lay the dip stick in the dirt?

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would you lay the dip stick in the dirt?
Just shows how much I love you guys, that I'm willing to sacrifice my engine for a good photo. :D

Also, it's concrete, not dirt, and the dipstick wasn't really resting on the ground, just very close so the phone could focus on the dipstick instead of the driveway behind it.

Milky fluid? Are you suspecting coolant in your oil?
I don't really suspect anything at this point. Hopefully not coolant, don't notice anything off with the coolant capacity, but I'll be keeping an eye on things, that's for sure. Hopefully it's just a result of the cold wet weather we've been having, allowing some moisture to collect in the catch can, and nothing serious like a head gasket.

-T

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Just shows how much I love you guys, that I'm willing to sacrifice my engine for a good photo. :D

Also, it's concrete, not dirt, and the dipstick wasn't really resting on the ground, just very close so the phone could focus on the dipstick instead of the driveway behind it.

I don't really suspect anything at this point. Hopefully not coolant, don't notice anything off with the coolant capacity, but I'll be keeping an eye on things, that's for sure.

-T
Lol
Where I'm from that there looks like sand lol

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Was the milky oil in the separator? It is likely contaminated with fuel, blow-by, and moisture.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
The first thing I saw was the avg mpg and thought that it doesn't add up to the username :D :D :D
Thats can be reset and probably not a representation since new

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
LS is really the only track I am aware of with such low limits. I believe both Sears Point and Thunderhill are 103 dB. Of course LS has high limit days as well, but they are few and far between, and sell out very quickly.

On another note, just passed 10,000 miles during my commute today. Had a great drive home on HWY 9 and saw a group of 4-5 Mustangs along the side of the road. Must have been on a cruise. I waved and floored it as a way of saying hello.

Loving the car!

-T
Just out of curiosity, how loud is the GT350 in db?
I ask because there's one track local to me that has a 96db limit.
Great thread, thanks for sharing.

sweetchuck2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, DIB, Tech package.
Is that dog hair stuck to the side of the mason jar?
Sponsored