Sponsored

Satnav (and Apps) -2 wow moments

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
So, for the first time I used the in built Ford satnav whilst on a 35 minute drive. Thankfully I new the way and just wanted to see how the satnav worked.

Wow, it is shockingly bad, like I can't believe they could allow its release bad. Its the first thing I have found that is disappointing about the Mustang.

So my 35 minute journey and what makes my Wow comment.

1. Hop in the car, enter the address, and it calculates route and tells my arrival time will be 9:08 -current time is 8:10 -so 58 minutes. The Google maps estimate the night before was 35 minutes, and sure enough I arrive at 8:50.

2. Driving along the M7 and heading for the exit to the M5 the Satnav system tells me at every exit to get off the M7. Why oh why would I leave an expressway (yes I have all the Satnav settings correct).

3. I near my destination and approach one of two roundabouts which are about 500m from my destination. At the first I take the first exit, Satnav says take the fourth exit, this would have had me leaving the roundabout at the road I had just entered from, just heading in the opposite direction. 200m later at the next roundabout (with only 2 exits this time) it tells me to exit the roundabout at the third exit, again that would have me leaving via the road I had just entered from.

So from this one (and only) experience I concluded the Satnav is completely unusable. Ford should be embarrassed.

Second Wow moment. Last night I went and grabbed an IPhone cable and plugged the phone in to see if I could get the Apps to work. Wow that was easy! and Google maps is there just like using my IPhone. So I guess the answer is leave a cable in the car and when I need satnav just plug the phone in and all is well. In a perfect world this would work via Bluetooth but I suppose that will be the next generation.

Its interesting that such well proven software in Satnav has been done so poorly, and the relatively recent introduction of apps works so well.
Sponsored

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Apple carplay doesn't use google maps. That's Apple maps which isn't any better

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Sounds like they probably use the same Sensis maps as most manufacturers and yes they're terrible. My only regret with my Pajero was optioning the in dash GPS. Mitsu actually told me when I complained that if I needed accurate maps they suggest I use a Garmin or Navman rather than the built in unit.

Some of my favourite incidents was when it highlighted EVERY road on the map as the route to take when I only had about 300m to go. That was up around Katoomba IIRC. My other favourite is how it tells me to exit the Great Western Highway onto the M2 at Blacktown. Physically impossible.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
So, what you're saying is...when I get my vehicle, I should just use Android Auto!

I plan to anyhow. I use Waze as my mapping tool, it is based on GMaps, but has user inputs to allow for hidden police cars, traffic incidents and other things to be listed quickly via road users.

I understand Android Auto now allows for this app to be used instead of standard GMaps as the Nav tool.

OP
OP

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apple carplay doesn't use google maps. That's Apple maps which isn't any better
When I plugged my IPhone in and went to Apps on the car screen there was the Google maps app? I clicked on the Google maps app and it showed my most recent searches etc so I assume it is the full google maps app.

Sponsored

Shevs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT Manual Race Red
I use Android Auto for all my Nav stuff, in fact I always just have the Android Auto Maps on screen when driving. Google maps is continuously updating and the live traffic is spot on.
When you plug in your destination it will give you the fastest route based on the current traffic. Ie if in normal traffic the quickest way is on the freeway it will tell you to go that way, however if there is a major delay and it is quicker to go on main roads instead, it will tell you to go that way.
Not only that, in normal driving (not using the destination function) it will color code the roads according to how busy they are, very handy for everyday driving.

Sure it means plugging in the phone every time you get in the car, but you get used to it.

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
When I plugged my IPhone in and went to Apps on the car screen there was the Google maps app? I clicked on the Google maps app and it showed my most recent searches etc so I assume it is the full google maps app.
Are you sure it wasn't the Apple maps icon? Apple doesn't officially allow Google Maps as one of the CarPlay apps, and it certainly doesn't show up on any other car I've used CarPlay on. I have noticed that Apple maps has been better at knowing when I've searched addresses in Safari and other apps, and lists them as recent addresses.

OP
OP

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certain as I have never seen or used apple maps before.

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
I use Android Auto for all my Nav stuff, in fact I always just have the Android Auto Maps on screen when driving. Google maps is continuously updating and the live traffic is spot on.
When you plug in your destination it will give you the fastest route based on the current traffic. Ie if in normal traffic the quickest way is on the freeway it will tell you to go that way, however if there is a major delay and it is quicker to go on main roads instead, it will tell you to go that way.
Not only that, in normal driving (not using the destination function) it will color code the roads according to how busy they are, very handy for everyday driving.

Sure it means plugging in the phone every time you get in the car, but you get used to it.
Very true

I gotta say the android auto on sync 3 is pretty amazing bit of tech once you get the hang of it - plugging the phone in is abit of a pain but as old mate said once you get used to it its allright

Being able to answer whatsapp txts, spotify and using google maps rather then the ford nav is a big plus - i find it more responsive, less lag and gives you the most direct way and up to date info on your route

Only other thing is that it uses your phone data to use apps on your phone

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Very true

I gotta say the android auto on sync 3 is pretty amazing bit of tech once you get the hang of it - plugging the phone in is abit of a pain but as old mate said once you get used to it its allright

Being able to answer whatsapp txts, spotify and using google maps rather then the ford nav is a big plus - i find it more responsive, less lag and gives you the most direct way and up to date info on your route
Sounds great. Been watching a few Android Auto Youtube sites and looks like that will be my choice. I just hope my preferred music player of choice gets an update. Can I ask (havent got my car yet!) why is plugging the phone in a pain?

Only other thing is that it uses your phone data to use apps on your phone
Don't care about that. My current Ford, my device is always connected via BT audio anyhow and use GMaps and Waze for SatNav now, and Spotify and TuneIn.

5Gb of data per month covers what time I used to spend commuting (and I don't drive to work anymore) - so thats all good.

Sponsored

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
So, what you're saying is...when I get my vehicle, I should just use Android Auto!

I plan to anyhow. I use Waze as my mapping tool, it is based on GMaps, but has user inputs to allow for hidden police cars, traffic incidents and other things to be listed quickly via road users.

I understand Android Auto now allows for this app to be used instead of standard GMaps as the Nav tool.

Not sure Waze is supported yet.

but in essence, dont bother with the standard Sync functionality. Android Auto is amazingly better (based on my experience in our Escape).

I can +1 to the statement that the ford navigation is terrible.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure Waze is supported yet.

but in essence, dont bother with the standard Sync functionality. Android Auto is amazingly better (based on my experience in our Escape).

I can +1 to the statement that the ford navigation is terrible.
Waze is in beta for Android Auto - I have an invite kicking about on how to activate it. Have been told it "should" work... is being made ready for formal release sometime this year.

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
Sounds great. Been watching a few Android Auto Youtube sites and looks like that will be my choice. I just hope my preferred music player of choice gets an update. Can I ask (havent got my car yet!) why is plugging the phone in a pain?
Im just a lazy bast#$d its as easy as plugging your phòne into charge

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
Waze is in beta for Android Auto - I have an invite kicking about on how to activate it. Have been told it "should" work... is being made ready for formal release sometime this year.
Nice! definitely want to get onboard with that haha.

Timm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
After having done the update to be able to use the android auto on my 2016, it is easy and accurate. navigating in Houston is a royal PITA without it. So if the question is android auto or apple car play and what you really need is navigation ability then Adroid auto hands down.
Sponsored