Evaporator went out

good_dog_1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Convertible
That's the way mine started. It won't be long now. Especially in that Texas heat.
I'm in Austin, it's been a bit warm here lately.

Thought I'd report back with more details.. I just got my car back yesterday, evaporator was bad and replaced under warranty. I dropped it off on a Thursday morning and picked it up on the following Tuesday afternoon.

I didn't get the film on the windshield, but I do remember a strange interior smell. Mine took about a week from when I first noticed that it wasn't getting as cool to the point where it would blow only warm/hot air.

Dealer gave me a loaner Explorer with 21 miles on it. After sitting all day in the sun, driving home it took 10-15 minutes for the AC to start blowing cold. It was a 4-banger and I was glad to have it, but made me wonder if the AC issues are happening to more than just the Mustang.

Here's a pic of my invoice w/ part number, they didn't list the labor hours though.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=135985&stc=1&d=1501725962
2017-08-02_210532.png
Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does Ford make these components internally or get them from some contractor or 3rd party supplier? In any case someone needs their butt kicked, metaphorically. Do we know if the '18 model will use the same evaporator?

FWIW, my 2011 GT is still going OK with the original HVAC components (knock on wood). Except for a broken vent actuator thingy.

My 1991 Ford Thunderbird had constant AC problems (plus other issues) and it put me off Fords for 20 years.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does Ford make these components internally or get them from some contractor or 3rd party supplier? In any case someone needs their butt kicked, metaphorically. Do we know if the '18 model will use the same evaporator?

FWIW, my 2011 GT is still going OK with the original HVAC components (knock on wood). Except for a broken vent actuator thingy.

My 1991 Ford Thunderbird had constant AC problems (plus other issues) and it put me off Fords for 20 years.
All such parts are contracted out to vendors who won the bid to manufacture the part based on Ford's original design and specs.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Two weeks today and the recharge is still holding. It gets down to 42 - 44 degrees out the driver's side vent per the little round AC technician thermometer that always keep stuck in the vent.

Fingers still crossed.

Anyone have the evaporator core leak fixed by recharging with a refrigerant that also has a sealant mixed in?

My extended warranty has kicked in so I'm not concerned about the cost of it being repaired. I am concerned about the pain in the arse of having to leave it with the dealer and their "techs" for repairs. :cheers:

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Three weeks and still cold with the recharge.

Could the sealant in some of the refrigerant that you can purchase actually work and plug a leak in these defective evaporator cores? Appears so; at least short term.

Fingers still crossed. :cheers:

Sponsored

Pintoracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
15 V6 051A Deep Impact Blue Reverse sensors
Three weeks and still cold with the recharge.

Could the sealant in some of the refrigerant that you can purchase actually work and plug a leak in these defective evaporator cores? Appears so; at least short term.

Fingers still crossed. :cheers:
Mine would usually would take about six weeks to leak out. If you make it eight weeks, you might be in the clear. Good Luck!!! Mine is now 59 WKS out from evaporator assembly replacement and still blowing cold!

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Mine would usually would take about six weeks to leak out. If you make it eight weeks, you might be in the clear. Good Luck!!! Mine is now 59 WKS out from evaporator assembly replacement and still blowing cold!
Thanks, Bryan. I'm pretty sure it'll have to be replaced at some point. :cheers::cheers:

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I've personally sealed a few leaks with the Red Angel stuff. Not in the s550 though. Sealed a leak that would empty the system in my DD after 1 week. That held up for 4 years until I sold it.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
I've personally sealed a few leaks with the Red Angel stuff. Not in the s550 though. Sealed a leak that would empty the system in my DD after 1 week. That held up for 4 years until I sold it.
That's good to know. Thanks. :cheers:

ShelbyGirl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle
Vehicle(s)
GT350
7k miles on my 2016 GT350.... Now they're telling me the evaporator core is leaking and to get to it they have to remove the dash and the seats? Does anyone know any links to instructions, schematics or videos that show the disassembly/reassembly steps involved? I just know that once the dealer does this job it will never be right again....

Sponsored

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
7k miles on my 2016 GT350.... Now they're telling me the evaporator core is leaking and to get to it they have to remove the dash and the seats? Does anyone know any links to instructions, schematics or videos that show the disassembly/reassembly steps involved? I just know that once the dealer does this job it will never be right again....
You definitely don't want to do this job yourself. The entire dash comes out. Not easy and you have a greater chance of breaking something without the proper tools. Strongly recommend you find a dealer who has done these before. And, at this failure rate, almost every dealer has. Most people on here report that the dealers did an excellent job with no post repair rattles or scratches. Good luck! :cheers:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
You definitely don't want to do this job yourself. The entire dash comes out. Not easy and you have a greater chance of breaking something without the proper tools. Strongly recommend you find a dealer who has done these before. And, at this failure rate, almost every dealer has. Most people on here report that the dealers did an excellent job with no post repair rattles or scratches. Good luck! :cheers:
My dealer did an excellent job. I had a bunch of aftermarket BS installed and didn't know the dash was going to come out or i would have removed it. But they coiled all the wires up nice and tagged it so I could find it later.

Frankly I'm not sure they take the entire dash out. I bet they just release it then prop it up. My Scanner antenna wire looked untouched and it would have fallen behind the dash if they had removed it completely. The seats are cake to remove. You can't eff that part of the job up much.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
Frankly I'm not sure they take the entire dash out. I bet they just release it then prop it up. My Scanner antenna wire looked untouched and it would have fallen behind the dash if they had removed it completely. The seats are cake to remove. You can't eff that part of the job up much.
I wish it were so, but, see the attached photo.
Evap_Replace.jpg

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
A little update on my 2017 European model.

I left my car with the dealer for the A/C issue. They kept it for 4 days (not counting the weekend). I got it back after having my evaporator replaced. The A/C works great, it blows ice cold air like never before! But most important they did a great job removing and putting back the dash. It seems absolutely perfect - at least for the time being. There are no rattles at all. They assured me that I will have no problems. I hope it will stay that way on the long run.

It seemed like a heart operation to me, but the result was great. Really satisfied with their work. And as [MENTION=28024]clicklogical[/MENTION] said, by now almost every dealer has experience in replacing the evaporator core. :thumbsup:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi,

Saw you're in NJ - I don't know where in NJ you are located, but I am sending you a PM on here with some info for a good Ford Dealer in NJ.

Take care
Sponsored