Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Thanks for the heads up. I will probably do this in the coming weeks (before March 15th), along with the whiteline or steeda transmission mount insert. I'm still undecided as to whether I should use Redline MTL, Amsoil, or Royal Purple.

Isn't this what comes in the gearbox from the factory (QDC + XL-18)?
Yes, as per the updated Ford SB's...all MT82's (are supposed to) come from the factory with QDC and XL-18 already added
Sponsored

SVT_N8

@baggedcobra
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
I will be switching to redline or Amsoil when I install my mgw

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
After reading this I plan on doing mine since I plan on doing an oil change within the week. I have been reading google search results for a while now, and can't seem to find a general consensus on which is better, the royal purple or amsoil mtf. Plus a lot of people mention using the XL-18 additive, but from what I gather that's better for colder climates. What made you go with the royal purple 2Cool?

OP
OP
2Cool

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
After reading this I plan on doing mine since I plan on doing an oil change within the week. I have been reading google search results for a while now, and can't seem to find a general consensus on which is better, the royal purple or amsoil mtf. Plus a lot of people mention using the XL-18 additive, but from what I gather that's better for colder climates. What made you go with the royal purple 2Cool?
Availability and past experience with RP products in my other cars.

MattNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 V6 Conv trading in for a '15 GT Conv
For what it is worth I will repost my experience I posted on another thread:

Thought I would offer my experience as a 3-year MT-82 owner with about 42,000 miles on my transmission. In the first 5K miles it was pretty notchy when cold. I switched to Redline MTL and a Barton bracket and it made a big difference. The redline for smoothness when cold and the bracket to help prevent problems with being locked out during turns. The old bracket and linkage were much worse than the new 2015 one from what I can see and what I felt in my test drive of a '15.

The only problem with redline was it seemed to have a short life. It felt like the fluid broke down after 10K miles or so and was a different type of notchy, including when warm. I put in a new batch of redline around 15K miles and it lasted about 8-10K again. I then switched to BG synchroshift II based off great reviews and it felt much better than MTL and has lasted all the way up through the current 42K miles. It also is a lot cheaper and I think feels much better than redline on cold mornings. The only downside is I had to buy it online as nobody local carried it.

Hope this helps

Sponsored

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I sometimes get notchy-ness when cold or even hot in Florida weather. The cold I refer to is the overnight high 60's low 70's we get, other than that its hot an humid. Its mostly 1 > 2 and 3 > 4 > 5. What would the recommendation be for my climate? I don't care about the price honestly, I just want this transmission to last me a long time.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I then switched to BG synchroshift II based off great reviews and it felt much better than MTL and has lasted all the way up through the current 42K miles. It also is a lot cheaper and I think feels much better than redline on cold mornings. The only downside is I had to buy it online as nobody local carried it.

Hope this helps
This is great news! Grimace has recommended this to me as well. I will bite the bullet soon and get this done!

Thanks, Grimace:cheers::D

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I've had Redline MTL in my transmission since the car had 1,000 miles on it. It now has 38,000 miles on it. Quite bit of those miles were at road courses and autocross events. Yeah, it shifts notchy under 45F for a mile or two. But after that it's fine.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
BG seems like good stuff. That, Amsoil or Redline.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I've had Redline MTL in my transmission since the car had 1,000 miles on it. It now has 38,000 miles on it. Quite bit of those miles were at road courses and autocross events. Yeah, it shifts notchy under 45F for a mile or two. But after that it's fine.

You got 38k on your 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk