Sponsored

How bad did ford Sandbag the Ecoboost?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Do the US spec EB PP come with torsen? Ford package says limited slip but not sure what style.
There are only two differential's from the factory, ALL V6's and Ecoboost get the Traction Lock diff weather they are Base, PP or Premium (Auto or Manual): https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-34spline-88-irs-diff-2015gt.html

Base model and Premium GT's (auto and manual) also get the traction lock diff. That's what my base model IRS pumpkin had in it, sitting under my work bench. 201A variant with the 18" factory alloy wheels (there's an even lower base model 100A which has horrendous 17" allows and nothing in it).

The US spec GT PP cars all come with Torsen diffs, Auto gets 3.55 ring and pinion, Manuals get 3.73 ring and pinion.

Standard Traction Lock (these are cheap as all get, $175): https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-34spline-88-irs-diff-2015gt.html

Torsen: https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-34spline-88-irs-torsen-diff-1516.html

A loaded IRS with a Torsen usually runs about $1700~$1900 new where a standard traction lock IRS runs only $800~$900, about 1/2 the cost.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
(there's an even lower base model 100A which has horrendous 17" allows and nothing in it).
That is mine! I told the dealer that if didn't make it faster I didn't want it.
Since I knew from the test drive I was going to change the wheels and Suspension, I saved the 2 k on the PP since the only thing I wanted from it was the brakes. My original order also had Recaros as well but I also test drove a GTPP with Recaros and didn't find them that comfortable and knocked another 2k off the price. I have to say, the stock seats and cloth are better than I expected so I sold the race seats I pulled from my Supra for even more cash.

Those Horrible 17's are in my basement shod in some super grippy snow tires for my frequent trips to the Alps, It almost causes me physical pain to look at them on the car if I have to put them on! They are no longer available on the EB, as of the 17 model year, all EBs come with the 18" wheels the premium non pp EBMs or GTs came with, the "Sparkle silver" 17"s were relegated to the last of the V6s. With the V6 gone for '18 maybe they will become a collectors item? Baaah who am I kidding, They'll likely never be worth anything!

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
All of you folks have posted top speed estimations. This might sound irrelevant, but to calculate the speed at each gear, given the rpm, the rear axle ratio, each gear ratio and the tire size do you use a calculator like this one?

http://www.boosttown.com/gearbox_differential/speed_calculator.php (do you know what the formula is behind these calculator?)

I would like to be able to do my own theoretical calculations while researching this mod further.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is mine! I told the dealer that if didn't make it faster I didn't want it.
Since I knew from the test drive I was going to change the wheels and Suspension, I saved the 2 k on the PP since the only thing I wanted from it was the brakes. My original order also had Recaros as well but I also test drove a GTPP with Recaros and didn't find them that comfortable and knocked another 2k off the price. I have to say, the stock seats and cloth are better than I expected so I sold the race seats I pulled from my Supra for even more cash.

Those Horrible 17's are in my basement shod in some super grippy snow tires for my frequent trips to the Alps, It almost causes me physical pain to look at them on the car if I have to put them on! They are no longer available on the EB, as of the 17 model year, all EBs come with the 18" wheels the premium non pp EBMs or GTs came with, the "Sparkle silver" 17"s were relegated to the last of the V6s. With the V6 gone for '18 maybe they will become a collectors item? Baaah who am I kidding, They'll likely never be worth anything!
Lol. I got a 201A base model. It came with 18's and I total agree on the seats. The Recaro's look nice and probably better for track, but the factory seats are tad less snug and more cushiony, consequently they are better for a street car that occasionally sees the drag strip / track or auto cross.

Many of the reviews noted the same things, the stock seats were actually more comfy for daily driving. And yah, those factory 17's were so ugly I don't know why they ever bothered! The factory 18's still look nice however.

Mine factory 18's were the split 5 spoke ones (technically 10 spokes, but in pairs arranged like a traditional 5 spoke). Do you know if the 18's will fit the PP brembo's? I've been holding off on brakes because while I run RTR Tech 7's for the spring, summer, fall (19's that will easily fit PP brakes), I have snow tires on my factory 18's and didn't want to have to buy new snow tires and wheels just for the PP brakes.

16EBPPAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP Auto Yellow
Brake Clearance

I got aftermarket 18's for the snow tires and had no clearance issues with the PP brakes. I wanted 17's, but couldn't get a definitive answer as to what would or wouldn't fit in that size.

Mine factory 18's were the split 5 spoke ones (technically 10 spokes, but in pairs arranged like a traditional 5 spoke). Do you know if the 18's will fit the PP brembo's? I've been holding off on brakes because while I run RTR Tech 7's for the spring, summer, fall (19's that will easily fit PP brakes), I have snow tires on my factory 18's and didn't want to have to buy new snow tires and wheels just for the PP brakes.

Sponsored

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Lol. I got a 201A base model. It came with 18's and I total agree on the seats. The Recaro's look nice and probably better for track, but the factory seats are tad less snug and more cushiony, consequently they are better for a street car that occasionally sees the drag strip / track or auto cross.

Many of the reviews noted the same things, the stock seats were actually more comfy for daily driving. And yah, those factory 17's were so ugly I don't know why they ever bothered! The factory 18's still look nice however.

If you have the tires I have not the Brembo's will not fit. The EB PP/GT base brakes fit (there is not a ton of room)
picture.jpg

I document everything haha.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have the tires I have not the Brembo's will not fit. The EB PP/GT base brakes fit (there is not a ton of room)
picture.jpg

I document everything haha.
Thanks! Those are same 18's. I was wondering what brakes the EB PP cars used. I knew they used a larger rotor vs. the base 12 inch, but I didn't realize there were three different calipers and rotor sizes. I was thinking PP EB and PP GT brakes were both six piston. When my brakes need work I'll get stock EB PP / GT base model brakes (14 inch) front and rear then. You can get a pair of lightly used GT calipers for $275 on e-bay.

So it appears the there are the following brake configurations stock:

1. EB Base with 2 piston calipers / 12 inch front vented rotors, 1 piston calipers / 12 inch rear non vented rear rotors

2. EB PP / GT Base with 4 piston calipers / 14 inch front vented rotors, 2 piston calipers / 14 inch rear vented rotors

3. GT PP with 6 piston calipers / 15 inch front vented rotors, 2 piston calipers / 14 inch rear vented rotors

I think the EB PP factory brakes should do just fine as I won't have to spend all the money on another set of 18s and the come cheap lightly used on e-bay.

Found this: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-offers-three-brake-systems/

Last edited:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
All of you folks have posted top speed estimations. This might sound irrelevant, but to calculate the speed at each gear, given the rpm, the rear axle ratio, each gear ratio and the tire size do you use a calculator like this one?

http://www.boosttown.com/gearbox_differential/speed_calculator.php (do you know what the formula is behind these calculator?)

I would like to be able to do my own theoretical calculations while researching this mod further.
I prepared a Speed Calculator for those who would like to calculate theoretical top speeds based on transmission ratios, rear axle ratio, RPM and tire size. Input values in orange cells. To modify simply unprotect the sheet. It also outputs speeds assuming a 10% torque converter slippage on the automatic.

I prepared it for myself but I thought it would be a good idea to share it with you guys. Being a novice to this topic I think this thread is really useful - thanks for posting all this info! :headbang:

Attachments

Last edited:

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo

I ordered the Recaros. I missed out on them with my previous car (2014 Focus ST) because they couldn't be had as a single option and I didn't want MFT; that wasn't the case with the Mustang fortunately. The other thing, was that with my 180lb 5'10" body, the ST's Recaros were a perfect fit for my torso but too tight for my lower body. The S550's Recaros (the same as the S197 2.0's Boss 302 and GT500), were a perfect fit for my lower body but not a snug fit for my torso. For me, they've been more than comfortable for my commutes from 5 minutes to 3 hours, and many passengers have enjoyed how they hug the body without complaints. Of course with soo many different body types out there, your results may vary, but for me it was the one option I had to have.:)

I've got my first track day this upcoming Friday, so I'll gladly report back how they handle.

Berstuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP M/T Competition Orange
Recaro's are great on the track, still need a harness or a clip on the shoulder belt to keep your ass strapped in tight though.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] So I decided to upgrade to a 3.73 rear axle ratio (ring & pinion) and a Torsen diff. I will buy them brand new. The installation will be done at the dealership, pending a discussion with them in order to make 100% sure that hey know what they are doing.

Although I will probably buy the 3.73 pinion & ring set and the Torsen diff from a European distributor ([MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION]) :headbang:, I am pasting the relevant links from cjponyparts only for the sake of this discussion:

1. Ford Performance Differential Torsen 34-Spline 8.8": http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-differential-torsen-34-spline-8-8-2015-2017/p/M4204MT/

2. Ford Performance Ring And Pinion Gear 3.73 Set 8.8": http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...ear-3-73-set-8-8-irs-2015-2017/p/M420988373A/

Are these two products all I need for the conversion from a 3.55 trac-lok diff to a 4.73 Torsen? I am asking this because, when I contacted cjponyparts online for information, they told me that I will also need the Ford Performance Ring And Pinion Installation Kit (http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-ring-and-pinion-installation-kit-8-8-irs-2015-2017/p/M4210B3/). However, according to their website, this kit would be necessary if I would like to replace the potentially worn out or damaged seals and bearings while my IRS housing is apart. My Mustang has less than 7000 km on it, so I don't think I need to replace any bearings or seals yet. Therefore I would think that the ring & pinion and the Torsen diffis all I need. Is this correct?

I am asking you because you 've already done the conversion, but anyone else please feel free to jump in and share your thoughts/experience.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Just a thought for you. Yes you have a very new auto and probably do not need the install kit. However that is a very small cost compared to the whole project. What if you don't get the kit, pay for the whole job, then find out afterwards that the seals leak a little or the bearing starts whining? Then you'll have to pay to have the whole assembly removed, pay again to rebuild and reinstall. For the relatively small cost of the kit you may consider it worth it for peace of mind.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Thanks [MENTION=21294]GJarrett[/MENTION]. I thought of the installation kit simply as an opportunity to replace worn out or damaged seals and bearings while the IRS housing is open. But obviously it's not just that :eyebulge:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Good to know [MENTION=27727]Marvinmadman[/MENTION]. Will order it as well.
Sponsored