Sponsored

Question on Street Touring Category

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi Gang,
I’ve never done any SCCA driving and am looking to get into it this year. Just for fun, nothing serious.

My car mods are listed in my signature, so it looks like I’d be in the Street Touring class (ST?).

My question is that I’m looking at installing the Ford Performance tune on my EB right away. The SCCA cheat sheet for allowable mods states the following, regarding tunes:

“PCM/ECU reprogrammed fuel and/or ignition map(s) (no changes to “boost” maps) OR fuel pressure regulator”

Now I’m not 100% sure what the FP tune modifies but I’m sure it turns up the boost. So that will push me into Street Prepared? I’m having trouble deciphering all the abbreviations…

Seems like I’d get my ass handed to me in the prepared class. Again, it’s just for fun, but maybe I’d be better waiting on the tune and working on the suspension first.
Sponsored

joshcox19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Correct, the FP (and most other tunes) will push you out of ST due to the boost increases.

However, if you've never autocrossed before, just show up and have fun. Most regions have some kind of "novice" group for new guys anyway. And you'll have a ton of fun regardless of class.

OP
OP

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I checked out the Houston club and sure enough there is a novice class.

I'm gonna move forward with the tune and just go run my car. I just want to drive fast, not too worried about competing with anyone but myself.

S.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The intercooler upgrade listed in your sig takes you out of ST even before doing the tune. Your best fit is probably CAMC.

OP
OP

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The intercooler upgrade listed in your sig takes you out of ST even before doing the tune. Your best fit is probably CAMC.
That looks interesting too! So basically I'll just keep building the car the way I want and there will be a class for me to run in.

Thanks

Sponsored

joshcox19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
That looks interesting too! So basically I'll just keep building the car the way I want and there will be a class for me to run in.

Thanks
That's definitely the way to go... I used to build for classes, then realized it takes the fun out of cars.. Now i just race a kart :lol:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I checked out the Houston club and sure enough there is a novice class.

I'm gonna move forward with the tune and just go run my car. I just want to drive fast, not too worried about competing with anyone but myself.

S.
Novice is typically an Index class so you still need a base class for a car to calculate PAX time. CAMC is probably best idea here.

OP
OP

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
CamC seems like I'll get my lunch eaten. Guys are running 350r's and I'm running an EB!

I'm just going to get into it for fun but still...

Should be based on power / weight ratio or something to even the field

joshcox19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
CamC seems like I'll get my lunch eaten. Guys are running 350r's and I'm running an EB!

Honestly, don't worry about it too much..
Youre going to get beat by a bunch of Miatas too.. that's just how it goes

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT

no offense, but you'll get your lunch eaten regardless of where you end up, if you're just getting started. autox is less about car, and more about driving and setup :)

that said, after a few seasons under your belt, and with a little money to spend, there's no reason an EB couldn't be competitive in CAM-C (in terms of bench racing - driven well, no reason it couldn't go to the top of the class right now). you can build up your block, turn up the boost and make usable autox power, while being on equal footing vs. a 5.0/5.2 in terms of other mods (wheel/tire, suspension, etc). you'll actually have a chance at getting close to minimum weight (3200), too - something a GT/GT350 can never hope to attain, without going full tubular front/rear subframe and CF paneling everywhere (along with all the other supporting weight reduction).

Sponsored

LSU Mech Eng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Sharp21,
As others have said, just go out and get some experience. Nothing will make you better more than seat time and some in car assistance from other racers / instructors. As for living in Houston, come on out to one of the Houston Region SCCA or BMWCCA events. You'll have a great time at the region/club level running your car in CAMC.

FYI, this coming Sunday (the 2nd) Houston SCCA has an event at Grandsport Speedway. This is an autocross on a small roadcourse down in Hitchcock. Will be awesome. Assuming the storms stay away... the road course is built on the old Navy Blimp base and floods really bad as it has zero drainage.

There are quite a few S550's running in STP and CAMC. I usually bounce between the two classes based on which class has the most cars to run against. Look for white s550 with a black roof and hood vents and come say hi. Usually running either 94 or 98 (the one in the avatar pic).

Hope to see you out at a local event!!

OP
OP

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Appreciate the feedback guys. I'll definitely come and run when I get the chance. Can't make it Sunday though due to being on Daddy duty.

Couple of follow up questions:

1. Can I get a tech inspection the day of the event?

2. I see that I'll need a number on my car. Is that assigned or do you just choose one at random? Do most people go with magnets, or how are those typically added?

Thanks again. Really looking forward to some aggressive driving this year!

S.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

It is... But you can't possibly expect category that will match your exact mods so your car fits in - you have to either keep it almost stock or build it for category allowances.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Appreciate the feedback guys. I'll definitely come and run when I get the chance. Can't make it Sunday though due to being on Daddy duty.

2. I see that I'll need a number on my car. Is that assigned or do you just choose one at random? Do most people go with magnets, or how are those typically added?

S.
1. Absolutely.

2. Pick your own, unless it's taken by somebody else in your class. Use tape if you don't have magnets.

LSU Mech Eng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

S.
KZ has it right.

Houston SCCA has some loaner magnet numbers they will let you use while in Novice. Otherwise, get some painters tape in a contrasting color from your car and you can make whatever number and class you need.
Sponsored