Sponsored

New motor no start condition

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
So finally got to try and start the car tonight and no luck. It's a new aluminator into a 16. Reused original engine harness and coil packs. (Aluminator came with old style coil packs). It's as if something simple is not plugged in. Or ecm is not letting her fire.

Checked grounds, fuel is getting to the rail. Pulled a plug and doesn't appear any fuel is in the cylinder, tried putting a spark plug in a coil and grounding the plug and doesn't appear to be getting any spark either. No codes being thrown.

Any ideas............ it's a boss intake. Tried an old tune that worked with stock manifold and same no start(not even a hint of it wanting to start) condition. Figured it might throw a code but might of at least try to start.

Motor has cs installed as well as new valve springs before being put in.
Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
If it's not getting fuel into cyl or spark, sounds like an ecm or wiring issue to me.

gzstang

Who's stang? It's gzstang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance pack
Vehicle Showcase
Was a crank relearn done? I assume the crank sensor just swapped over. Does the theft light prove out ok? Just throwing couple ideas out....

OP
OP

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Can't do a crank relearn without the car started and up to operating temperature. No theft light on.

New motor came with new crank sensor already installed. New motor was directly from ford racing.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
There are two 16ish wire harnesses in the front of the car that can be plugged into each other. Swap them they fit each other and sometimes are plugged in wrong. This was the case on a 13 coyote I did.

Sponsored

CPR Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broke bum w no car
If no spark or injectors, look at crank trigger. It fires both. You put the trigger wheel on yes?

OP
OP

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
If no spark or injectors, look at crank trigger. It fires both. You put the trigger wheel on yes?
Did I put the crank trigger in? Good question. I'm assuming one came with the new motor. I did have to have the flexplate changed from the flywheel that came with the motor. Shop that did the valve springs put the flex plate on for me so I'm assuming it was there. Thought they were same for auto or manual.(crank trigger). Definitely something I'll look into.

I plugged a different injector in one of the plugs also to see if I could see or feel it opening and as far as I could tell didn't seem like it was doing anything either. Not sure if you'd be able to visually see it open or not.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Definitely sounds like crank trigger is missing or not the correct one.

OP
OP

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Spoke to shop. It definitely came with pulse ring and sensor. Gonna have to triple check everything I did.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Don't worry, dude. When I rebuilt my Harley engine, I finally got to starting it up and only one cylinder would fire. A week of trying to figure out WTF the issue was, because I literally wrote down step by step what I did in what order I did it, I finally realized that the Harley shop manual had two wires switched on the ignition wiring diagram (I did a trick hidden coil situation) by looking at the stock wiring on Google Images. Anyway, I switched the pins, and she fired up... at 3AM. Subsequent to which I got a $50 fine from my HOA at the time for excessive noise -- because once you fire it up, you gotta do the heat cycles, etc.

It will start.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
So after a week and a half of messing with the car I got it started.

After trailering it to the dealer to assist troubleshooting and getting her back home. Dealer confirmed what I suspected wasn't not getting crank signal from the crank. I pulled the trans to replace the trigger wheel( already tried a new sensor) and after unplugging all the plugs noticed two of the plugs are identical and can be plugged in the wrong sensors. Put trans back in and plugged everything back in and it fired right up.

Why would anyone in their right mind make two plugs that control/sense two completely different things allow them to plug into one another. it's not like one would reachnand the other would not.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Glad you go it all sorted!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So after a week and a half of messing with the car I got it started.

After trailering it to the dealer to assist troubleshooting and getting her back home. Dealer confirmed what I suspected wasn't not getting crank signal from the crank. I pulled the trans to replace the trigger wheel( already tried a new sensor) and after unplugging all the plugs noticed two of the plugs are identical and can be plugged in the wrong sensors. Put trans back in and plugged everything back in and it fired right up.

Why would anyone in their right mind make two plugs that control/sense two completely different things allow them to plug into one another. it's not like one would reachnand the other would not.
Well... see it's always something stupid and simple, isn't it... arg!

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
There are two 16ish wire harnesses in the front of the car that can be plugged into each other. Swap them they fit each other and sometimes are plugged in wrong. This was the case on a 13 coyote I did.