Sponsored

Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Wish one of the aftermarket vendors would offer a much softer clutch pedal spring as a replacement option.
Sponsored

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm working on finding a softer spring. But I've got used to no spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Two guys I work with tried my pedal after I removed the spring. They said it is still softer and smoother than theirs. They have an 08 Gt and 04 Mach 1

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
New to the forum, because of this thread! Pulled mine out Saturday with the vice grip method. Took less than a minute to work the grips into place and remove the spring and perch. Been driving stick shifts for 30+ years, I found the improvement in feel and ability to modulate the clutch to be drastic.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
New to the forum, because of this thread! Pulled mine out Saturday with the vice grip method. Took less than a minute to work the grips into place and remove the spring and perch. Been driving stick shifts for 30+ years, I found the improvement in feel and ability to modulate the clutch to be drastic.
Welcome aboard! This thread needs to be stickied.

Sponsored

arcadewilco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Took my spring out this past weekend. Another happy spring removal customer! I had those rough 1st and 2nd gear shifts too. I'm not an experienced manual driver but I was much smoother driving my 92 Foxbody with a heavy duty clutch and heavy pedal. With the spring out the 2015 is still no where near as heavy as my Foxbody but it completely feels right and I'm driving it very smoothly. I wish I would have done this months ago.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Took my spring out this past weekend. Another happy spring removal customer! I had those rough 1st and 2nd gear shifts too. I'm not an experienced manual driver but I was much smoother driving my 92 Foxbody with a heavy duty clutch and heavy pedal. With the spring out the 2015 is still no where near as heavy as my Foxbody but it completely feels right and I'm driving it very smoothly. I wish I would have done this months ago.
We should count the number of times this has been said.

Mods...sticky, please?

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
I also have a 73 Mach 1, with a T45 5 speed conversion and a 393 Cleveland stroker with a sintered iron clutch (when you have over 550 RWHP getting a clutch to hold gets challenging) The "vintage" mustangs also use a clutch assist (or overcenter) spring that makes the ones in the 2015 look like a spaghetti noodle in comparison. Removing it is one of my upcoming adventures and will be nowhere near as easy, hopefully I won't get hurt too badly. lol

BKinn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
sub. Going to try this once it stops raining here!

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Background: "Learned" (using that term loosely) how to drive a stick roughly 7-8 years ago in my buddy's CRX. Since then I believe I drove a Honda Civic manual for about 30 miles total give or take 5 years ago. Picked up my 2016 GT PP last Tuesday. In the last 8 days I have driven it about 80 miles with 70 of those miles in traffic on the street.

Before I took out the spring out it was hard for me to not jerk from neutral to 1st and to a slightly lesser degree 1st to 2nd unless I really focused on slowly letting out the clutch. I don't know what "slipping" feels like, but on the flipside I was then wondering if I was engaging the clutch too slowly. Overall, I felt I had to pay extreme attention to shifting and the clutch.

This morning I took the spring out before my 10~ mile street commute to work. WOW, what a difference. Operating the manual was instantly much easier than before. The clutch did not want to jerk forward because of the spring and I was able to go from neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd much more smoothly while at the same time shifting quicker. I also didn't notice a difference in the strength needed to push the clutch in, so this was a win win for me.

HIGHLY recommended, especially for those new to a manual.

Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
For those who took it out by hand (no tools) are you grabbing the top first, bottom first or middle?

Syracuse315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
For those who took it out by hand (no tools) are you grabbing the top first, bottom first or middle?
I grabbed the spring in the middle and slid the top portion out first. The top piece shot out upon removal, so I'd advise you to look away/cover your eyes when pulling it out.

SLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

Hold the pedal in with one hand and then start pulling the bottom part off first. Where it's connected to the pedal. That way it goes toward the floor and not your face.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I give that same advise to my wife...

Asshole. Now I'm having to explain to my coworkers why I'm laughing so much! :lol:
Sponsored