Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Media Drives & Reviews (CHECK FIRST POST)

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I've been sim racing for so many years on lazer scanned tracks after watching those videos I feel like I've been there and already know all that haha. I was like yep brake there, down shift there, accel there. literally no different since lazer scanned tracks are accurate. crazy...

but I am super jealous for one that I'll never get to drive on that track in RL but also that I prob won't get to ever drive gt350r either lol. damn gt350/350r's are just so badass.
I've played on games and driven in real life both Sonoma and Laguna Seca and the elevations never feel quite dramatic enough in the games. The corkscrew and carousel feel much larger in real life, particularly as you crest the blind hill immediately before them.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I've played on games and driven in real life both Sonoma and Laguna Seca and the elevations never feel quite dramatic enough in the games. The corkscrew and carousel feel much larger in real life, particularly as you crest the blind hill immediately before them.
oh that I bet, only way to simulate that would be to have a very very expensive motion sim rig cockpit. Nothing is ever as good as the real thing of course but hey better than never experiencing anything!

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Did you read the thread... previous page? The report from Detroit News?

Here: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...legendary-shelby-gt-mustang-returns/32434845/

So low 1:30's at LS is uber fast.... heck even if it ran at 1:35 or a tick under, that's still in the big players' league.
I didn't see that post in the thread, no. But I also don't tend to pivot around one newspaper's sometimes off-hand comment about lap times.
I'm reacting to the 'low 1:30's' comment (as a qualitative assessment) and wondering if it were based in fact. LS is a 'home' track for me (close to me and one that I've lapped a lot...and in many different cars)...a low 1:30 is a mighty impressive time but based on earlier comments by Ford about the GT350R's parity with a 991 GT3 at Gratan and the obvious need to beat the Z28, I would have expected lap times in the 1:35-1:36 range. Even if it were 1:34's, I'd still consider that to be 'mid' 1:30's...Low 1:30's, to me, implies 1:33 or less. If that's the case, it's crazy fast. But, while I'm a huge fan / already purchased one, I'd be surprised if it went <1:33

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Same thing in Sebring.... you can get lost on the track. On games like GT or Forza, for example, you really can't wander off to the old airfield... :D

But at least it'll help you get a bit familiar with the driving lines. :thumbsup:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I didn't see that post in the thread, no. But I also don't tend to pivot around one newspaper's sometimes off-hand comment about lap times.
I'm reacting to the 'low 1:30's' comment (as a qualitative assessment) and wondering if it were based in fact. LS is a 'home' track for me (close to me and one that I've lapped a lot...and in many different cars)...a low 1:30 is a mighty impressive time but based on earlier comments by Ford about the GT350R's parity with a 991 GT3 at Gratan and the obvious need to beat the Z28, I would have expected lap times in the 1:35-1:36 range. Even if it were 1:34's, I'd still consider that to be 'mid' 1:30's...Low 1:30's, to me, implies 1:33 or less. If that's the case, it's crazy fast. But, while I'm a huge fan / already purchased one, I'd be surprised if it went <1:33
I won't disagree... like I said that's a super fast time. I am thinking more along the lines of 1:35 give or take a half sec. We'll see sooner or later when Randy manhandles it. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
I'm with everyone else here; I want to see this car driven by someone who knows how to drive!
MotorTrend's Randy Probst will do it. I believe head to head comparison will be done at Willow Springs. But the main question is will it be against the ZL1 or the Z28?

Stay tuned...

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
I've been sim racing for so many years on lazer scanned tracks after watching those videos I feel like I've been there and already know all that haha. I was like yep brake there, down shift there, accel there. literally no different since lazer scanned tracks are accurate. crazy...

but I am super jealous for one that I'll never get to drive on that track in RL but also that I prob won't get to ever drive gt350r either lol. damn gt350/350r's are just so badass.
There is a difference between 'laser'...(Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) and the real thing.
Walk the track, or (almost even better for LS) ride a bike around it and describe how T6 feels.

Not sure why you think you'll never get a chance to drive LS but look up some Skippy classes and come out...I've seen people from all over the world at skippy classes....or something else. LS is an epic place. If you're a driver, you've got to try to get here.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
As far as the first video goes, someone needs to tell them to chill and at least act like they've been there before.

Clearly they've never experienced a high rpm small block before...they could at least make it less obvious. Jeez.

jcartwright734

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dream car
http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...st-drive-ford-shelby-gt-350-mustang/32445703/

Monterey, California – The 526-hp Ford Shelby GT 350 Mustang coupe lived up to its billing as the most track-capable, best-handling Mustang ever in its first drive along the Pacific Coast Highway and at the legendary road course at Laguna Seca race track Wednesday.

The unique 5.2-liter flat-plane V8 engine snarled when drivers floored it and delivered gobs of torque for strong acceleration up the race course’s hills and along the twisting coastal road. The engine – the most powerful naturally aspirated powerplant in Ford history hits its peak torque of 429 pound-feet at 4,750 rpm. A full 90% is available from 3,450 to 7,000 rpm for smooth acceleration and easy driving in a wide range of conditions.

The six-speed manual transmission’s short throws and light clutch encouraged quick, smooth shifts.

The optional adaptive suspension kept the car steady and stable on Laguna Seca’s notoriously challenging track, including through the famous Corkscrew turn that has bedeviled racing cars and drivers for generations.

Ford Performance began developing the GT 350 in 2012 to deliver super car performance. Prices start at $47,795 – very affordable for a car who’s performance threatens six-figure sports cars from luxury brands. Prices start at $47,795 – very affordable for a car with performance that threatens six-figure sports cars from luxury brands.

I tested a $56,790 Shelby GT 350 equipped with optional MagneRide adaptive shock absorbers, adjustable steering and exhaust. Standard features include voice recognition, push button start, backup camera, front seat side and knee air bags, curtain air bags, Recaro sport seats and more. A reduced weight model called the GT 350R will be even more track ready, thanks to carbon fiber wheels that save 60 pounds compared to aluminum and shedding niceties like the rear seat and air conditioning will be priced starting at $61,470. Both prices include a $1,300 gas guzzler tax.

The Shelby GT 350 and GT 350R should be in dealerships in the next two months.
I am guessing the embargo ends at midnight est

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
This isn't much better. You can tell he is a bit intimidated(I would probably too). Couldn't figure out how to embed the video.

This fella is an IDIOT. Wholly crap. It is like its the first time he has been alone with a car. Is he still sporting a permit?

Awful...

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Painfully slow lead-follows. That's slower than the kids ran on the street.
It's normal for events like this to acclimate the obviously inexperienced members of the "media" (real or imagined).

Update: After watching as much of his on-track adventure as I could stand, at least I can say he has the distinction of being the first guy to drive a GT350 like it had an automatic tranny. :headbonk:

Last edited: