Sponsored

SR Performance Springs (American Muscle)

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
So I recently had a set of SR springs installed with factory base struts/shocks and every time I go over a speed bump I hear a loud clunking noise. Had the shop check the install and it looks good except for the front springs rubbing on one another, indicated by the contact marks. I seen this for myself with the car in the air.

I noticed these springs look A LOT like the steeda progressives, which i have a hunch they are the same. Which also have a known issue of having this noise. Their suggestion is to install isolation silencers on their springs or it being a bad install.

Im taking my car to a known good shop to have them triple check install tomorrow.

In any case anyone else with SR springs have this issue? I dont recomend them at all. American Muscle offered to send me a new set (which I have to send old back) or pay for a different set. But after having spent $300 to have them installed im pretty upset if its not install error. Im not going to get that money back, so its just literally wasted money.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently had a set of SR springs installed with factory base struts/shocks and every time I go over a speed bump I hear a loud clunking noise. Had the shop check the install and it looks good except for the front springs rubbing on one another, indicated by the contact marks. I seen this for myself with the car in the air.

I noticed these springs look A LOT like the steeda progressives, which i have a hunch they are the same. Which also have a known issue of having this noise. Their suggestion is to install isolation silencers on their springs or it being a bad install.

Im taking my car to a known good shop to have them triple check install tomorrow.

In any case anyone else with SR springs have this issue? I dont recomend them at all. American Muscle offered to send me a new set (which I have to send old back) or pay for a different set. But after having spent $300 to have them installed im pretty upset if its not install error. Im not going to get that money back, so its just literally wasted money.
Hello GDP,

I just wanted to clarify that American Muscle is part of the Steeda distribution network & we do not make parts for their SR line of performance parts. The springs are not Steeda Progressive Springs.

Please continue to work with American Muscle to help resolve your aforementioned feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Hello GDP,

I just wanted to clarify that American Muscle is part of the Steeda distribution network & we do not make parts for their SR line of performance parts. The springs are not Steeda Progressive Springs.

Please continue to work with American Muscle to help resolve your aforementioned feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ
Ok was not sure, just thought maybe because they look similar and have similar issues. Good to know.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
[MENTION=21359]GDP[/MENTION] if you are having a clunking noise, that is not from the spring coils hitting each other. If the shop that did the install can't find the issue, that makes sense since they did the install. This is almost certainly an install issue. I'd take it to another shop to have it looked at and explain no clunking before and list ALL changes, then describe the noise. Spring coils don't hit each other fast enough to cause a clunk. They can cause noise as the move on each other but that is different and solved by the isolators.

gamatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
According to the spring rates spreadsheet, the SR springs have the exact same specs as the Vogtland Sport springs. Also Roush Yates performance has some 1" lowering springs "by Vogtland" which I bet are the same also. https://shop.roushyates.com/products/rye-8685 There are some of these on eBay for super cheap.

Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
All springs look more or less the same, it doesn't really mean much.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If the front springs, with coils that far apart, are rubbing against each other, there is very definitely an installation issue. We need to see pictures of the installation to be of any help. It could very well be that this shop installed the rear springs up front for all we know.

OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
@GDP if you are having a clunking noise, that is not from the spring coils hitting each other. If the shop that did the install can't find the issue, that makes sense since they did the install. This is almost certainly an install issue. I'd take it to another shop to have it looked at and explain no clunking before and list ALL changes, then describe the noise. Spring coils don't hit each other fast enough to cause a clunk. They can cause noise as the move on each other but that is different and solved by the isolators.
That made me laugh. And yeah I am taking it to another good known shop that specializes in performance and mustangs. Super crappy Im going to be even more out of pocket now though.

All springs look more or less the same, it doesn't really mean much.
Yeah true, I guess it was the color that made me think that. And I figured since Eibach does that with theirs and CJponyparts Steeda might have done the same with theirs and AM. Guess not.

If the front springs, with coils that far apart, are rubbing against each other, there is very definitely an installation issue. We need to see pictures of the installation to be of any help. It could very well be that this shop installed the rear springs up front for all we know.
Sorry no pics but I do know the fronts are in front and rears in the rear. I dont know if you seen Steedas progressive spring thread where people were posting pics of theirs but it looks just like that. Steeda says its normal to see that wear pattern though with progressive springs. And not everyone gets the same clunking I have but people were having that same issue. Looks exactly like:

attachment.jpg

I use steeda as a reference point because so little is known about SR and because its where people were posting about the same problem.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
That made me laugh. And yeah I am taking it to another good known shop that specializes in performance and mustangs. Super crappy Im going to be even more out of pocket now though.

Yeah true, I guess it was the color that made me think that. And I figured since Eibach does that with theirs and CJponyparts Steeda might have done the same with theirs and AM. Guess not.

Sorry no pics but I do know the fronts are in front and rears in the rear. I dont know if you seen Steedas progressive spring thread where people were posting pics of theirs but it looks just like that. Steeda says its normal to see that wear pattern though with progressive springs. And not everyone gets the same clunking I have but people were having that same issue. Looks exactly like:

attachment.jpg

I use steeda as a reference point because so little is known about SR and because its where people were posting about the same problem.

Progressive spring coils are meant to touch under compression which increases the rate. Get yourself a set of front isolators and that should fix your problem. Furthermore, they install in about 10 minutes, just jack up the car and install on the top coils, you do not even have to remove the wheel. Cost around 10.00

All Steeda progressive springs come with spring isolators.

All the best,

Mike D

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
It is a deep clunk or a rattle type noise? I have a funny story

Sponsored
OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
It is a deep clunk or a rattle type noise? I have a funny story
Deep clunk usually only when going over steed bumps.

OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
So just FYI for anyone who might be curious had another shop check it and everything looks good they said except for driver side strut nut being 3/4 turn loose.

Going to go with steeda recommendation of spring isolators next. But will be saving up for a full linear replacement. I feel like this is what I get for trying to cheap out.

Also for spring isolators how are you guys putting them on while spring is still on the car? Cutting the isolators then slipping on?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Still think something is loose - I have never experienced a "deep clunk" sourced from the spring. Get it up on some jack stands, take the wheels off, and let's see the installation.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Still think something is loose - I have never experienced a "deep clunk" sourced from the spring. Get it up on some jack stands, take the wheels off, and let's see the installation.
I agree. Like I mentioned, you won't get a clunk from the spring coils hitting and as SteedaTech (Mike D) said, the lower rate coils of progressive springs are meant to touch. If you think through the logic of it, they have to before the higher rate coils start to compress. Yes, you could get noise as the spring coils move on each other but they aren't coming together fast enough for a clunking noise, it's a different sound. Something is either loose or springs not seated in the perches correctly or something. Just because other people reported a noise like that doesn't mean they correctly diagnosed their problems either or installed correctly. You shouldn't have problems like that even with a cheap spring.

OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
I agree. Like I mentioned, you won't get a clunk from the spring coils hitting and as SteedaTech (Mike D) said, the lower rate coils of progressive springs are meant to touch. If you think through the logic of it, they have to before the higher rate coils start to compress. Yes, you could get noise as the spring coils move on each other but they aren't coming together fast enough for a clunking noise, it's a different sound. Something is either loose or springs not seated in the perches correctly or something. Just because other people reported a noise like that doesn't mean they correctly diagnosed their problems either or installed correctly. You shouldn't have problems like that even with a cheap spring.
Sadly I dont have the option of jacking the car up. I live in an apartment and dont have the tools even if I did. Two different shops telling me the install is good and everything is tight.

Also its hard to describe the sound. Its definitely a kinda springy clunk sound.
Sponsored