Sponsored

Ambient Thermal Management Intercooler Data and Info Thread

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I think Anthony is referencing the intake temps on his center console. We all know that sensor gets hotter than ambient temp so going below that temp is entirely possible.
Yes EXACTLY.

Lol lets get the thread rolling again.
Sponsored

sb1racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Nothing is permanently modified in the installation with the ATM IC, you could switch back to stock in an hour or so and nobody would ever know... No idea why you would ever do that as my charge temps went from 140-150+ to half that but it could be done.

My son who is almost 11 years old installed mine 90% by himself, literally!! It took 4-5x longer than I could have done it myself but he enjoys working on stuff like this. Also made him use all hand tools so took forever to take out the two billion screws haha... I think about all I helped with with unclipping the front end, taking it off and then putting the hoses/clamps on the new ATM IC once mounted up. Besides that I just pointed and answered LOTS of questions :)

With normal street driving and heat soak my temps will go up a touch but soon as I crack throttle they plummet back down. Ex. Doing some E-Tune runs for Adam @ MAP the other week and it was in the mid to upper 80's here in Michigan. This wasn't a dyno, I drove 30 minutes home from work @ 2pm in the heat, pulled off highway onto side road, spooled it up and let it rip lol. Logs start out with charge temps close to 100 but after my launch and RPM's start to climb it's back down around 90-91. Towards the end of the run they were at 93! Before they would have been over 150+ easily...

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Is there a mathematical formula as to how much charge temp has an effect on timing and its correlation with HP/TQ drop?

Guard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
what's the pressure drop across this intercooler vs stock?

OP
OP
JerseyDevil

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
what's the pressure drop across this intercooler vs stock?
We as well as a few end users will be posting a bunch more data for both street and race scenarios...

Typically all of our intercoolers have better pressure drop than stock due in part to proper design of the endtanks, fin densities, and the round surfaces we use in our cores...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JerseyDevil

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a mathematical formula as to how much charge temp has an effect on timing and its correlation with HP/TQ drop?
Typically this is done in the tuning so it can be different car to car. On this car we saw a 30hp drop from one run to the next on the dyno with the stock IC. As you can see our intercooler keeps temps down near ambient temps even through several gears where the factory IC would be approaching 200 degrees f.

dundy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 eb mustang
Great to see more products. Anthony can you share your data logs and experience using all three intercoolers. What you liked and did not like etc. Road course racing generates lots of heat and should be a good test. Let us know the results!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
How much does this IC weigh? It looks like it would be a pretty substantial addition to the nose of the car. I haven't seen weight number on any of the available ICs but I would assume there is some trade off

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Where does this type of core fit into the comparison? (Delta Fin)

Ecoboost Intercooler

We have our EcoBoost Mustang Intercoolers in stock and here are a few pics of the Intercooler design...

The AMBIENT THERMAL MANAGEMENT Intercooler for the ecoboost features an ambient face 108% larger than stock with a stepped core design, rounded header bars and flow tapered cast end tanks to direct the ambient and charge air with minimal pressure drop.

I figured I would take this time to talk about the science and innovation put into the ATM intercooler designs. Back in 2006 ATM designed a unique Stepped Core Intercooler (SCI) form factor For Helix Motorsports, that takes full advantage of captive space behind the bumper cover. Currently the SCI intercooler is the best performing and selling intercooler for Abarth, BMW and MINI to date.

ATM built in other innovations that are aftermarket Intercooler market firsts. Many of you have heard the terms “Tube & Fin” and “Bar & Plate”. Both of these terms refer to intercooler core construction. These intercooler core types make up the majority of intercoolers offered to the market. Each has their Pros & Cons with weight, air flow, thermal reserve, thermal conductivity, etc. Below is a picture of a Bar & Plate (top) and Tube & Fin (bottom) intercooler.

The image below describes the charge row airflow characteristics of two construction types.
i8570_barvstube.jpg

The image below describes the efficiency associated with orifice inlet design. Tube & Fin inlet design has an efficiency of on .53. The Bar & Plate inlet design has an efficiency of .80. Take notice of the inlet design with a .98 efficiency rating.
i8571_coefficientgraphic.gif

The image below is of the charge side of a bar and plate intercooler . Notice the wide flat plates between the charge rows and the sharp 90 degree transition into the charge row. This construction is consistent with a Bar & Plate design and is rated at only .80 air flow efficiency.

Below is another image of the charge side of an intercooler. Looking inside you can see that the construction is Tube & Fin. Notice how the charge rows protrude into the end tank air space. This inlet design efficiency is rated at a dismal .53.

The ATM intercooler is constructed from a Bar & Plate design, but ATM designed and invested in an innovative custom extruded header bar. The ATM header bar is half round and serves as a bell mouth/velocity stack into each charge row on the ambient side as well as charge row inlet and outlet. This transition is rated at .98 efficient. The ATM Stepped Core Intercooler is the only intercooler that offers these innovations. This is one more innovation that allows the ATM intercooler to outperform other offerings.

Our Intercoolers are custom designed for each application. In the case of the Ecoboost where we saw a 30hp power drop in a single gear dyno run and AIT' approaching 200 degrees F, our design goals were to maximize AIT temperature drop and to thwart off heat soak similar to our other Intercoolers, this means a large ambient face, dense fin packs and significant thermal mass! Here's a pic of a 2-3-4 gear Datalog on the Ecoboost Mustang with a Cobb OTS tune showing how well our Intercoolers work to keep AIT low and keep them low. As you can see the AIT temps only rose 4 degrees over starting temp in a 2-3-4 gear run. Since this intercooler only allows temps to rise a few degrees it will recover much faster than a less efficient unit!

We have produced several prototypes and want INDEPENDANT end users to run and log this Intercooler to coincide with our data collection. We can guarantee industry leading performance, world class fabrication and a high end appearance in our Intercooling products. In the coming weeks as the INDEPENDANT end users get us Datalogs we will be posting more specific information in regards to the Ecoboost design...

*we have several units in stock ready for immediate shipping $799 shipped*

Sponsored
OP
OP
JerseyDevil

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much does this IC weigh? It looks like it would be a pretty substantial addition to the nose of the car. I haven't seen weight number on any of the available ICs but I would assume there is some trade off
You want weight in front mount intercooler specifically in the core. This thermal mass is what absorbs the heat from the charge and its a pretty simple principle of physics to understand, ie 10lbs of aluminum can absorb 2x as much heat as 5lbs of aluminum. Our intercooler weighs 27lbs BUT you are also removing a bunch of weight via the factory shutter system, ductwork and intercooler. The trade off is an intercooler that only heats up 4 degrees over starting temp vs approximately 100 degrees stock in a 2-3-4 gear run. No other intercooler for this car works this well and no other will recover as quickly back to starting temps. we will gladly back this statement up if any other company wants to submit their design in INDEPENDANT testing!

OP
OP
JerseyDevil

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where does this type of core fit into the comparison? (Delta Fin)

Thats a tube and fin core with a very low fin density, so it won't do very well in regards to temp reduction. In regard to aerodynamics the air will flow through the delta fins better than flat stock in this case(looking at the pic you provided)it's representative of the .80 and .82 efficiencies , generally tube and fin charge sides are those pictured with the .53 efficiency...air likes round surfaces not edges!

sb1racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Just wanted to send out a huge Thanks to ATM for giving me that nice cool air to keep my power consistent!! Last night I made the following passes in less than an hour:

12:11
12:09
12:03
12:12

(12:09 & 12:03 were 11 minute apart lol)

This is on a virtually stock 2015 A6 Ecoboost! Just have the ATM FMIC, DR's and Adam @ MAPerformance tune on the Cobb.... Everything else from the air filter to the exhaust is stock, no weight reductions and pump gas:

Build Thread
12.03.jpg

OP
OP
JerseyDevil

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to send out a huge Thanks to ATM for giving me that nice cool air to keep my power consistent!! Last night I made the following passes in less than an hour:

12:11
12:09
12:03
12:12

(12:09 & 12:03 were 11 minute apart lol)

This is on a virtually stock 2015 A6 Ecoboost! Just have the ATM FMIC, DR's and Adam @ MAPerformance tune on the Cobb.... Everything else from the air filter to the exhaust is stock, no weight reductions and pump gas:

Build Thread
Incredible performance with such a limited mod list... Keeping charge air temps near ambient and giving the air direction via rounded surfaces and proper end tanks is really paying off when combined with Adam's incredible tuning...
Have you opened the grill up in front of the airbox inlet? We saw a .5 psi reduction in pressure drop at 70mph in our testing by simply drilling each dimple out in the stock grill, that's huge when your pushing the turbo to the right side of the compressor map...

Here's what's going on with the ATM IC that allows your custom tuning to be at full max potential all the time. As you can see the intercooler keeps AIT's down near ambient even through several gears. Since temps barely rise recovery back to starting temps happen very fast so you always have the same consistent performance level... Speaking of that your cars gonna be a complete monster once the ambient temps drop into the 60's-70's!
[/IMG]
Sponsored

Last edited: