Sponsored

350 TB Causing Knock

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Some will know I've being chasing down a false positive knock, that mainly happens on shifting at WOT or hard acceleration at high RPM.

After going through the car with a fine tooth comb and some aspects reducing the issue I was all at the point of giving up as this thing would still register +5.99 the moment I got back on the gas after shifting.

Its almost as if the car had some kind of pre-emptive or burst knock kicking in. The problem is it would just stay +5.99 keeping timing under 20 degrees, the only way is to lift and go back on power and then it moves back to negative.

If I floor it from a low RPM, I can go 1500rpm 4th gear all the way to 8000rpm and then it sits negative knock 29-32 degrees the whole run.

Prior to swapping TB's I tried:
- Full can of Torco
- AED Base Map
- Lund Base Map
- AED Performance Map
- Lund Race map
- Car thoroughly checked, everything tight, no rattles, exhaust hitting no where, engine mounts all good etc.

Yet both Lund and AED show the same false knock issue, the Lund a touch less so because I believe they marginally reduce knock sensor sensitivity.

It is 100% false knock or BURST knock, adding full can torco, running base maps has no impact.

Now I have re-fitted stock TB, loaded the same Lund tune, only difference being for the throttle bodies, no matter how hard I shift, hard hard I punch the gas it is negative knock all the way!

So could I have a faulty 350 TB? Or do our cars maybe suffer burst knock?

Something I have always noticed on my car with 350TB is its loud, popping sounds in the intake when running and when shutting off, I know others have this too.

When I did my datalogs for Lund/AED all looked superb as for a log they just want a 3rd gear pull from low RPM, this on the 350TB is fine, zero knock. I only get positive knock when shifting at high RPM and going 100% WOT or punching the gas hard 100% beyond 4000rpm causes positive knock.

I only came across the issue because I went back to 350 TB for my AED tune and loved how it drove, Shauns tune drives better than any of the others, its so good it drives nicer than the stock throttle body drives, that is how good it is.

But I felt the car was slower on 1/4 mile run, so when I logged a run it indeed showed this false knock keeping timing sub 20 degrees, at which point my hunt began.

So after all this wasted time to find out the cause all along has being the 350 TB is annoying. :(

The others out there with 350 TB on manuals can you datalog some 1/4 mile runs, see if you see any positive knock.

This could maybe also be the reason why to me the car never drove nice on Lund tune, was always touchy, maybe due to dicky throttle body.

So now I am going to try and find another 350 TB to test, I was just wondering if anyone here ever encountered a TB to cause them such a false knock issue like this?
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
It must be the tune that it doesnt do a good job with the 350tb.
Do logs and send them.
Try the oem tune from the powerpack 2 from ford racing and see what happens???

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
I will do a 1/4 mile log Wednesday when I get my sct. I'll be using ford tune I'm curious to see how what the tune looks like anyway before I get a new tune.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I will do a 1/4 mile log Wednesday when I get my sct. I'll be using ford tune I'm curious to see how what the tune looks like anyway before I get a new tune.

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] do we know anyone else running the gt350tb in the uk?
Also can the gt350 be fitted to the stock manifold do u know? If so I would be happy to fit your suspect one on my car for a trial and see if I get the same issue with the stock manifold.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
You can use on stock mani with an adapter

Sponsored

RubyRedBoost

Traded EB old name New GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT with PP
I have no issues with mine at all. Highly doubt it's the TB causing knock. Most likely the GT350tb tune causing your issue. Mine surges maybe 1% of the time is various conditions but that's it. I'll be removing it when the Paxton goes on though. Don't feel like dealing with those tuning nightmares.

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Just ditch the TB and sleep easy at night. Running stocker on GT350 manifold here and car runs hard and drives normally.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Just ditch the TB and sleep easy at night. Running stocker on GT350 manifold here and car runs hard and drives normally.

Yes seems to be the only solution, 350 mani with stock TB and zero issues running a Lund or PB tune.

Tried two 350 TB's, both same issue, Shaun at AED tried a few things with knock sensors but issue still present.

Its not as bad on Lund tune but still happens and Lund tune does not drive as nice. Tried AED base tune, still happens!

I plan on selling the car at some point in the future (MY18) so as today was nice I simply put the car back to stock, yep call me defeated. So stock mani, stock TB, stock CAI and factory tune!

Logged it absolutely no issues and drives fine, just slow, LOL!

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Yes seems to be the only solution, 350 mani with stock TB and zero issues running a Lund or PB tune.

Tried two 350 TB's, both same issue, Shaun at AED tried a few things with knock sensors but issue still present.

Its not as bad on Lund tune but still happens and Lund tune does not drive as nice. Tried AED base tune, still happens!

I plan on selling the car at some point in the future (MY18) so as today was nice I simply put the car back to stock, yep call me defeated. So stock mani, stock TB, stock CAI and factory tune!

Logged it absolutely no issues and drives fine, just slow, LOL!

Just curious if you are still running the stock throttle body and if it actually fully fixed the issue. I have been having problems with knock on hard shifts for months. I would love to just be able to swap my throttle body and have no more knock.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
It is possible. Anything is possible. Swap back. See what happens

Sponsored

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
How could a throttle body cause knock? It's not the TB. It's the tune.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have Shaun's AED tune, GT350 IM and TB, JLT CAI and Corsa catback - that's it...so i think its a very similar setup to yours. I have zero positive knock on any of the logs I ran for AED.

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I have Shaun's AED tune, GT350 IM and TB, JLT CAI and Corsa catback - that's it...so i think its a very similar setup to yours. I have zero positive knock on any of the logs I ran for AED.
do you drag race? I can do a pull in any gear no problem but once I shift hard at 7800rpm the knock sensors go crazy.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
do you drag race? I can do a pull in any gear no problem but once I shift hard at 7800rpm the knock sensors go crazy.
Interesting. No, I don't drag race, but I'll run a log with a few WOT shifts to see if anything spikes.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Just curious if you are still running the stock throttle body and if it actually fully fixed the issue. I have been having problems with knock on hard shifts for months. I would love to just be able to swap my throttle body and have no more knock.
Had my headers installed by JDM. Same as your ARH 1 7/8.

They were having issues with knock on shifts when road tuning.

I believe they said the headers were heating a heat shield. They lowered the engine a bit which solved the issue.

If the guys at JDM can remember, maybe they can provide more detail.
Sponsored