Sponsored

Whipple tune pulling power at temp

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
How does the Whipple tune handle high temperatures? Does it pull timing or throttle based on coolant temp/CHT? How does this work exactly?

I've noticed since installing the Whipple two weeks ago that my CHT's get pretty hot on the interstate with the AC on. Weird thing is that I don't see high temps sitting in traffic, it seems to be something about being at highway speeds.

Today I tried to do a little 4th gear pull and I instantly noticed that power was lacking. CHT had shot up to 230ish. I exited the interstate and it cooled to 220, but when I would get on it in 2nd or 3rd, I could hear very little supercharger whine, but some other whine sound I hadn't heard before. Sounded like a higher pitch noise, almost like metal on metal.

I was wondering if the tune was pulling throttle due to high temp and the noise I was hearing was the bypass valve or something. One thing to note is that I do have the knock limiting feature turned on, along with all the other defaults.

Later, after letting the car sit for a while, everything was good and the car felt strong again with no sign of the noise I had heard before.
Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
You shouldn’t be seeing CHTs that high unless your fans aren’t working, coolant levels are low, or your thermostat is stuck. Did you make sure to get all the air out of the lines post install? Rarely do I see 200f. I do have the reische stat but even before I never went that high.

OP
OP
Ruiner46

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
It's weird, the temps only go that high on the interstate with the AC on. Around town driving I usually see 205. Might be air in the lines still I guess. I've squeezed hoses, but the coolant tank never gets lower, so I don't add any coolant. I'm going to change to the Reische and see if that helps.

I really just want to make sure that the behavior I saw was the Whipple tune pulling throttle or something. The reduction in power felt similar to stock levels, and I'm a little worried about the odd whining sound.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The bypass will work in vacuum state only and should not really make a discernible difference in sound or whine. The rotor whine is a by product of the rotor pack pulses compressing air. If you want more Whine inside I can help with that PM me if interested. As far as the loss of power the calibration does have safety measures that control throttle angle when certain unsafe conditions are met and I would bet CHT is one of them. Not sure why you would be seeing high CHT at hwy speeds though.

OP
OP
Ruiner46

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Did a little more testing this morning. I noticed that the sound I hear occurs when I tip into the throttle at low RPM and just before the whine really kicks up. Low speed in 2nd gear I can stab the throttle lightly and I hear it for a moment just before the car really takes off. Sounds like a light, high-pitched metallic squeal. Maybe it's a normal supercharger noise, I don't know. My previous cars have all been turbo, and on a turbo car, it would be a bad sound. Sounds similar to when a turbo is starting to go out and the compressor wheel barely contacts the housing.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I am confused on my CHT after the whipple install too, might be air in the lines. Is there a good way to ensure there isn't any?

I see temps 210-215 pretty easily. I checked the whipple calibration and the desired ECT is 212*, seems pretty high to me, might lower that a bit.

Have a 170 thermostat installed.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
If you guys used the thermostat that came wth the Whipple kit, I had similar CHT issues and I believe others have as well. I should say perceived issues as 200-220 is normal. I didn't like my temps so I put the Reische in and now I rarely go over 200.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
These temps seem too high. I use the Reische T stat and B&D antifreeze and my CHT temps average 185Âş on the highway and just over 200Âş at stops.

Definitely turn knock limiting off, this comes directly from Dustin

The only other factor I think I can add is I enclosed my airbox and have completely opened up the honeycombs on both the upper and lower grill.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Sounds like a T-stat issue. I'd be interested to see the difference in design between these and the Reische.

OP
OP
Ruiner46

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Well my Reische thermostat is on order and I'll install it this weekend. I'll update with results after install.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the noise I keep hearing? I only really notice it in 2nd gear with part throttle acceleration. My 2nd gear is also -10% in flight control. It is not the normal supercharger whine, much higher pitched and doesn't do it all the time. I'm really worried that it's some kind of metal on metal contact, but I can't think of what it would be. I tried to get a video of it today, but couldn't hear it in the video. I''ll try again tomorrow.

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Only thing I can say is go back over all the pulleys, tensioner, mounting bracket and make sure everything is torqued right.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Well my Reische thermostat is on order and I'll install it this weekend. I'll update with results after install.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the noise I keep hearing? I only really notice it in 2nd gear with part throttle acceleration. My 2nd gear is also -10% in flight control. It is not the normal supercharger whine, much higher pitched and doesn't do it all the time. I'm really worried that it's some kind of metal on metal contact, but I can't think of what it would be. I tried to get a video of it today, but couldn't hear it in the video. I''ll try again tomorrow.
Hard to diagnose without hearing it. Can you post up a video?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I suspect like the others you may have a belt alignment issue going on making that noise.

OP
OP
Ruiner46

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Just wanted to update this. I took a drive with the Reische thermostat today and temps seem a bit lower. I was still able to hit 220ish on the interstate and the tune is still limiting power when it gets that hot and I try any fun in 4th. It was pretty hot outside today, around 90-95 degrees.
You guys who rarely see 200 CHT, do you have any other mods that affect cooling? Like an aftermarket grill, or have you opened up the grill? Also, which heat exchanger do you use? I have the new larger exchanger. I'm wondering if there's more I can do to get the temps down.

As for the tune limiting at high temp, I'm going to turn off knock limiting and see if that is the problem. I thought it was good to keep on as a safety, but it seems like everyone recommends turning it off.
Also, I talked to another member here with a similar noise to what I was hearing and I agree with him that it's probably a whistle noise from the throttle body at part throttle. Not worried about the noise anymore, but I'd love to get the CHT down. Thanks for all the help guys.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Check and make sure your intercooler pump is on and there's no kinks in the lines feeding the heat exchanger. This could cause temp rise for sure.
Sponsored