Sponsored

What cars did you cross-shop before deciding on the Mustang?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I looked at Challenger. I liked the car. It was very big and comfortable. Too big, but I was willing to overlook that because I think it's beautiful. However, the price was not beautiful.

I looked at Camaro - mostly 1SS and 1LE. Didn't like the interior, shifter, too hard to see out of them, price 3-5 grand more than Mustang for the options I wanted. What stopped me was price and availability of wheels, plus the matte hood on the 1LE. I was worried it would get scratched too much.

I drove a Focus ST. It was ok, but slower than the V6 Mustang and cost about $2k more. Plus the seats and interior ergonomics are set up for smaller people. Nope, not for me.

I looked at VW and Subaru WRX because there's a lot of snow here in the winter and it would be great to have AWD. However, the performance for the money wasn't there.
I don't fit into the BRZ and it doesn't make enough power. Same goes for Miata.
Also I would have to see an amazing bargain to ever buy a Japanese car.
Sponsored

Reactions: 113

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I've always wanted to look at the new vettes, but after I went to Ford, I forgot all about that idea. The day afterwards, one of my friends asked me did I have the chance to go to the Chevy dealership.

I really just went to Ford to ask them about the Shelby, and the next day I was dropping off my 08 charger SE and pulling this magnetic beast right off their floor. No regrets.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i couldnt really cross shop. there was nothing else out there for 32k that had 435 hp

w3bb3r04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
I briefly considered the Scat Pack Challenger. I love the look of the Challengers but at heart, I'm a Mustang guy. I also found the Challengers a bit more pricey than the Mustang GT, so that made the decision much easier.

Last summer I was looking at the Camaro SS 1LE just because I think it's a wicked looking combo in pretty much any colour and it's a good bang for the buck - but the headroom in the Camaro isn't enough for me. I could've drove it daily with my head brushing the headliner (no sunroof either) but I'd never get a helmet on to take it to the track. I even took a helmet to the dealership to double check.

I've owned a lot of different cars and trucks but I'll always come back to Ford. Love my Mustang and my F150.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
- 2015 WRX STI

Turbo lag, felt like it would be something I'd have to beat up to enjoy and was more likely to get tickets.

- 2015 Camaro SS 1LE (Ended up waiting for the initial info on the 2016 - it was release on my birthday coincidentally)

I liked the feel of the Camaro, not the look so much. Wanted a 1LE if I got one, hard to find to try out. My wife convinced me the Mustang looked a lot better (not much convincing needed).

- 2012 Mercedes C65 AMG

My buddy wanted me to get one of these, very similar performance wise, very expensive for upkeep. Price would have been a little cheeper, possibly, but no warranty. I felt like I'd be afraid to drive it and break something.

- 2015 Dodge Charger/Challenger Scat Pack/RT

Test drove an R/T Charger and Scat Pack Challenger. Enjoyed them, big cars and the auto only in the charger was a deal breaker. Price for what you get and styling was a problem. Also, the pretty large drop in fuel economy to the Scat Pack was another decision maker (not big deal obviously but something to differentiate).

I think those were my main cross shopped cars, may have looked at some others as well, but these were the ones I drove (Exception to the WRX STI, can't ever seem to find one I can drive. I think I drove a regular WRX maybe). Oh the Golf R was a contender as well, but I didn't get too serious with the price tag plus similar issues to the WRX with turbo cars.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)

GaryOkie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I sold my 2014 Challenger RT (all blacked out) because it was a second car, so I thought I'd save some cash and be responsible. After 3 months I was bored to DEATH driving my little Subaru Impreza. So I looked at the Challenger Scat Pack and the Mustang GT. I liked the Challenger a lot, but I loved the new look of the Mustang GT. Plus I've never owned a Mustang GT, so it was something different. I looked around a lot and finally found the exact GT that I wanted. The only downside.... the dealership was HORRIBLE. The worst car buying experience I've ever had (and I will never go back there).....but I got the car I wanted.

Sponsored

TenaciousB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
335i Coupe / S4 - Couldn't quite pull the trigger knowing what maintenance and parts were going to cost me and I would have to go used with higher miles for the price range. They are sweet cars though...

Genesis R Spec - Not as nice in person as they are in pictures, very blah.

Taurus SHO - I am convinced this will be my daily driver down the line, absolutely loved the car, but there is almost zero aftermarket support and the resale value was abysmal.

Tofino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT stick.
I considered many other cars.
From a scamaro and vette which had no appeal when I looked at them.
To the wrx sti which I like more than either of the gm products.
Almost bought a hellcat, the new viper is damn sweet as well, and i seriously considered buying another one, as i enjoyed my old vioer and the new ones are much nicer than it was.
The worst car of all i looked at was the nissan gtr.
But in the end I went with the Mustang GT PP.

Last edited:

m4udin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Was looking at the Lexus RC 350 and a friend of mine also was trying to sell me on getting his gently used '13 Mercedes C class AMG so he could upgrade to a used Audi R8.
Sponsored