Sponsored

Will Ford Increase HP in Response to New Camaro?

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PREM PP
  • Banned
With the recent revelation that GM is going to use the LT1 in the new Camaro tuned in the ballpark of 450 HP and 450 FT LB torque, as well as reportedly being lighter than Ford's new steed, will Ford increase the 16's HP to be more competitive? Or will Ford elect not to do so, since the 15 is all new, 16 will see the release of the GT350 and the Mach 1 is heavily rumored to be released in 17. I hope Ford "bumps" both the HP and torque for 5.0....450 HP and 420-430 torque would R O C K! But...I don't see Ford "bumping" HP or torque for 16. What say ye my mustang brothers-in-arms? :headbang:

Matt
Sponsored

Catfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2003 Cobra, 2015 GT PP
There will always be something newer and better.....

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
With the recent revelation that GM is going to use the LT1 in the new Camaro tuned in the ballpark of 450 HP and 450 FT LB torque, as well as reportedly being lighter than Ford's new steed, will Ford increase the 16's HP to be more competitive? Or will Ford elect not to do so, since the 15 is all new, 16 will see the release of the GT350 and the Mach 1 is heavily rumored to be released in 17. I hope Ford "bumps" both the HP and torque for 5.0....450 HP and 420-430 torque would R O C K! But...I don't see Ford "bumping" HP or torque for 16. What say ye my mustang brothers-in-arms? :headbang:

Matt
Where have you seen that the new Camaro is going to be lighter than the Mustang?

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
'16 most likley not because its too soon, but for the 2017 they will mostly likely do a bump in hp. I dont think it will be anything crazy but i'm thinking 10-15hp

Sponsored

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Ironcitysteelers...thanks!

Todd15Fastback, the platform being used for the new Camaro will almost certainly be lighter than the 15 'Stang. From what I have read/researched online and inquired of a few GM engineering type guys I know, the weight difference should be minimal...most estimates/guestimates have the 16 Camaro lighter by about 200 pounds or so. This isn't a significant weight difference but if it turns out to be true, the 16 will indeed be lighter than the 15 'Stang.

DeepImpactBlue2015EB, I agree 100%. I don't see any increase until 2017 (when the Mach 1 is reportedly released). And probably a 15 HP increase to 450 HP, especially if the 16 LT1 Camaro does debut with a 450 HP and 450 FT LB of torque. I hope the torque increases as well...25-30 usuable pounds across the 5.o's power band would be a nice addition!

Last edited:

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Reportedly reportedly reportedly. Just like the Mustang was reportedly dropping a few hundred pounds and didn't upon release.

Wait until something is announced before the "should Ford react" or not begins. But don't highly expect the GM to let the Camaro make the same hp and close in weight as a car that costs $20k more (the C7) cannibalizing its sales.

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
OUCH! A little hostile tonight? There is, however, more information on the new platform GM will use for the 16 Camaro, than existed in all the "reported" reports for the 'Stang being lighter. So, in my opinion...and mine only it seems...the reports have much more credibility for the 16 Camaro being lighter vice the early reports for the 15 'Stang being lighter. And I don't see anyone who truly wants a Corvette, despite being 20K more expensive, not buying one because the new Camaro's HP is in the same ballpark. Camaro and Corvette owners, as you know, are totally different. GM also knows this and will act accordingly to rate the 16 Camaro's HP higher than the 15 (maybe even 16 'Stang) 'Stang. And on a last note, please don't tell me what threads topics to post or what speculations to discuss; if you don't wish to participate in the thread, simply don't read it or respond. I don't, nor does any forum member, have to "wait until Ford announces something" to discuss and speculate. Thanks!

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Why is everyone expecting a huge revision on a car that just came out.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
GM has historically always rated Camaros as having less HP than Corvettes, even with the same motors. It is not done to keep from "cannibalizing" Corvette sales, it is done to retain the Vette as the flagship halo car for the brand, and also to keep Vette buyers old guy egos inflated.

The ATS 3.6L V6 scales in at 3565 pounds. Add in a V8, widened body, etc and there is literally no way the car will scale less than 3800 pounds. Check out the thread on this as linked above, lots of analysis and educated speculation.

I do wonder about a new member, with few posts, deciding to troll this question out there on a Mustang board. Just speculating of course...

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
NO
Unless they start using the full Boss302 set up in the GT.
Ford has pushed the 5.0 about as far as it will go. They are NOT spending a ton of dough on further engine development.
Note the new 5.2 coming out in the GT350...that will be the Camaro "fighter" if there is going to be one...that and a larger Ecoboost motor.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
OUCH! A little hostile tonight? There is, however, more information on the new platform GM will use for the 16 Camaro, than existed in all the "reported" reports for the 'Stang being lighter. So, in my opinion...and mine only it seems...the reports have much more credibility for the 16 Camaro being lighter vice the early reports for the 15 'Stang being lighter. And I don't see anyone who truly wants a Corvette, despite being 20K more expensive, not buying one because the new Camaro's HP is in the same ballpark. Camaro and Corvette owners, as you know, are totally different. GM also knows this and will act accordingly to rate the 16 Camaro's HP higher than the 15 (maybe even 16 'Stang) 'Stang. And on a last note, please don't tell me what threads topics to post or what speculations to discuss; if you don't wish to participate in the thread, simply don't read it or respond. I don't, nor does any forum member, have to "wait until Ford announces something" to discuss and speculate. Thanks!
As Ironcity shared earlier....

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19166

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Cool,

Your speculation is understood; I may be "new" on the forum but not new to 'Stangs. I have had 4 (65, 87, 98 and 03). And you make some salient points in your post. And my question wasn't meant to "troll the question"...only to elicit informative responses.

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Todd15Fastback,

Yes...I saw Ironcity's post and thanked him. Thanks for sharing!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Todd15Fastback,

Yes...I saw Ironcity's post and thanked him. Thanks for sharing!
:cheers: it will be an interesting few months for sure until all the valid info and pictures are related on the 2016 Camaro:D
Sponsored