WHAT DID YOU PAY!!!

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
They have 78 month loans now on cars?!?!?

I got mine for roughly $6k off. MSRP was $38,315 and OTD (including destination, tax, tags, title, and processing) will be $33,622. So if you add the tax, tags, tilte, and processing to the $38,315, you're just a tad over $40.5k if you pay full price. X-plan wasn't even a consideration. I used TrueCar and I live in VA. My price includes the current $500 customer cash and the $500 military cash. I expect the cash back to go higher and I'm hoping for a $750 coupon in the mail but it won't make or break the deal.

In fairness, I think they were more inclined to give me a better deal since the last one (2011) I ordered was x-plan pricing so they did OK on that one.

I have a 1.99% loan for 5 years. Realistically, I'll put the proceeds from the sale of the 2011 down and finance about $19k.
How does the dealer stay in business? You bought a $38,315 car for $31,437??? This doesn't make sense to me. Good for you but the numbers don't work out for the dealer. Dealers usually are not in business to lose money.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
They have 78 month loans now on cars?!?!?

I got mine for roughly $6k off. MSRP was $38,315 and OTD (including destination, tax, tags, title, and processing) will be $33,622. So if you add the tax, tags, tilte, and processing to the $38,315, you're just a tad over $40.5k if you pay full price. X-plan wasn't even a consideration. I used TrueCar and I live in VA. My price includes the current $500 customer cash and the $500 military cash. I expect the cash back to go higher and I'm hoping for a $750 coupon in the mail but it won't make or break the deal.

In fairness, I think they were more inclined to give me a better deal since the last one (2011) I ordered was x-plan pricing so they did OK on that one.

I have a 1.99% loan for 5 years. Realistically, I'll put the proceeds from the sale of the 2011 down and finance about $19k.
Where did you buy in VA?

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Where did you buy in VA?
Cowles Ford in Woodbridge.

As for the sales team... a big "meh" ... but the service department is excellent. Their service manager, Matt Norris, is a stand up guy. Any time I've had an issue, he's been more than happy and willing to make it right.

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
How does the dealer stay in business? You bought a $38,315 car for $31,437??? This doesn't make sense to me. Good for you but the numbers don't work out for the dealer. Dealers usually are not in business to lose money.
Well the trick to all this was TrueCar. I was skeptical about yet another buying service but I tried it and got 3 quotes from local Ford Dealers. The lowest was "4,364" off MSRP (of an in stock car). The dealer I picked wasn't the lowest but they were willing to match the lowest. Then they deducted the $1,000 in rebates. I then negotiated down from there to get an OTD price I was happy with.

Since they didn't have what I wanted in stock, I opted to order. They agreed to match the difference in what was in stock vice what I wanted (about $700 in options.)

I had a check in-hand ready to buy. I wasn't trading anything. As a side note, I let them appraise my fully-optioned 2011 V6 MCA edition with 45k miles and they offered me $10k. I laughed.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
My MSRP was the same as that and according to my DORA dealer cost on it was $33,500.

Sponsored

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My MSRP was the same as that and according to my DORA dealer cost on it was $33,500.
And don't forget about the 3% holdback, volume incentives, etc that dealers get from Ford.

sleepless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Guard flavored
There's sticker/MSRP (which is a totally fictional "sucker price"), dealer invoice, Ford holdback, manufacturer rebates, and lot fees.

Fastback V6
Total MSRP: $24,625
Total Dealer Invoice: $23,699
Holdback: $-714
Net cost to dealer: $22,985

Fastback Ecoboost Premium
Total MSRP: $30,125
Total Dealer Invoice: $28,379
Holdback: $-879
Net cost to dealer: $27,500

Fastback GT Premium
Total MSRP: $37,125
Total Dealer Invoice: $34,942
Holdback: $-1,089
Net cost to dealer: $33,853

*Totals include a variable Destination Fee ($825 for east texas) and dealer fees (for the invoice price)

*Options are additional

You could get a base GT Premium with 500+500+750 rebates at $32,103 + ttl == "$5k off sticker".
And every day that car was in the dealer's stock, they're losing that holdback from Ford (which is paid to the dealers quarterly) and volume bonus, so you could potentially get it for even lower if they were motivated to move the car.

Last edited:

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There's sticker/MSRP (which is a totally fictional "sucker price"), dealer invoice, Ford holdback, manufacturer rebates, and lot fees.

Fastback V6
Total MSRP: $24,625
Total Dealer Invoice: $23,699
Holdback: $-714
Net cost to dealer: $22,985

Fastback Ecoboost Premium
Total MSRP: $30,125
Total Dealer Invoice: $28,379
Holdback: $-879
Net cost to dealer: $27,500

Fastback GT Premium
Total MSRP: $37,125
Total Dealer Invoice: $34,942
Holdback: $-1,089
Net cost to dealer: $33,853

*Totals include a variable Destination Fee ($825 for east texas) and dealer fees (for the invoice price)

*Options are additional

You could get a base GT Premium with 500+500+750 rebates at $32,103 + ttl == "$5k off sticker".
And every day that car was in the dealer's stock, they're losing that holdback from Ford (which is paid to the dealers quarterly) and volume bonus, so you could potentially get it for even lower if they were motivated to move the car.
Are you sure that destination fee is "variable?" I thought it was normalized so everyone paid the same amount. Even guys in Michigan are paying $825 as far as I know. It can't cost that much to go from Flat Rock to Ann Arbor. Or wherever.

Otherwise, I think you're spot on.

sleepless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure that destination fee is "variable?" I thought it was normalized so everyone paid the same amount. Even guys in Michigan are paying $825 as far as I know. It can't cost that much to go from Flat Rock to Ann Arbor. Or wherever.

Otherwise, I think you're spot on.
Hmm, I didn't even consider. I think you're right. I just tried a bunch of zip codes at random and they all give the $825 destination fee. Learned something new.

I wonder if the Regional Ad fees included in the dealer's invoice price change depending on location?

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Actually I lied, didn't even include options, my car was $36,030 dealer invoice with options.

Sponsored

sleepless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also there's a difference in msrp vs invoice for options. Pretty much every option has an additional $150 built into the MSRP option price, so you can bargain those lower too.

CorvetteDreamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hmm, I didn't even consider. I think you're right. I just tried a bunch of zip codes at random and they all give the $825 destination fee. Learned something new.

I wonder if the Regional Ad fees included in the dealer's invoice price change depending on location?
I'm not sure but I'm guessing the keyword there is "regional." Probably doesn't cost much to advertise in Nebraska like it does in NYC or Chicagoland.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I got mine for roughly $6k off. MSRP was $38,315 and OTD (including destination, tax, tags, title, and processing) will be $33,622.
How does a dealership give $6,000 off MSRP when the mark-up over invoice is only about $2,500 ~ $3,000 from my recent dealings with a local dealer.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Also there's a difference in msrp vs invoice for options. Pretty much every option has an additional $150 built into the MSRP option price, so you can bargain those lower too.
From what I'm seeing, options have a 12% mark-up over invoice to MSRP for that option. The mark-up on the base car seems to only be about 6% for a GT Premium.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
$39,104 for the car in my sig plus enhanced security. 8.85% below MSRP of $42,900 (including $300 doc fee) No sales tax. If I can sign up for two college courses I can get another $500 off....hmmm. BTW Truecar is showing dealer invoice for this setup at $40089...can't complain!
Sponsored