Sponsored

2018 Mustang Performance Package Level 2 (PP2) "Tremor Package" Contents Revealed

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This is what I don’t get it. Why Chevy takes things more seriously than Ford, and why is Ford sleeping? I understand the sales are good and all but why not test the cars against the real competition as Chevy is doing? Instead putting out words such as “ 2018 mustang is faster than a Porsche Carrera”. I mean come oooon !!!!!
Two words...European Market.

On a side note, is it REALLY that big of a deal that Ford is leaving off coolers? What is the percentage of people that are going to track these enough to warrant coolers being installed? 5%....maybe? And for those people that actually need them, installing them is not a big deal. They will NOT void your warranty and will cost less than than the price of a set of tires (installed).
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

On a side note, is it REALLY that big of a deal that Ford is leaving off coolers? What is the percentage of people that are going to track these enough to warrant coolers being installed? 5%....maybe? And for those people that actually need them, installing them is not a big deal. They will NOT void your warranty and will cost less than than the price of a set of tires (installed).
That is no excuse. Chevy is going beyond and testing their ss camaro’s against a GT350 which costs significantly more than their cars. That is what i call dedication and customer satisfaction, not a sales game!

Jenkins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car

I'd agree with the many people won't track this car argument with most other trims including the pp1, but the pp2 trim is for the road course crowd. Will it cater to the masses with less interior bells and whistles and that price tag? There will be a much higher percentage of pp2 taken to the track than the other trims.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That is no excuse. Chevy is going beyond and testing their ss camaro’s against a GT350 which costs significantly more than their cars. That is what i call dedication and customer satisfaction, not a sales game!
It's all a sales game. These companies exist to make money. Why would Ford include coolers on a car that less than 5% will ever need? Hell, we have no idea what the limp mode parameters will be either.

As for the camaro, their cars still look like shit and make me feel like i'm stuck in mushroom farm while driving.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Oh the aftermarket cooler DEFINITELY will void your warranty. Even if you buy it from Ford Performance through your local dealer and it's all factory Ford components.

One of the few times I find myself agreeing with you. I'm marking my calendar.
There is a thread about a GT350 owner having a ton of push back on a major motor issue and the original response from Ford was they were denying the warranty as it had an aftermarket oil separator - even though the manual recommends one for track use. Granted it wasn't he FP one, but seriously a catch can. The saga has been going on for over 3 months and is still not resolved.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'd agree with the many people won't track this car argument with most other trims including the pp1, but the pp2 trim is for the road course crowd. Will it cater to the masses with less interior bells and whistles and that price tag? There will be a much higher percentage of pp2 taken to the track than the other trims.
It's not simply a matter of....will it be tracked. It's a matter of, will it be tracked long and hard enough to go into limp mode. Damn, sounds kind of dirty reading that back. :D

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I'm not sure why most people think the PP2 will have overheating issues. I tracked my 2015 with PP more than once during 94-98 degree weather. Did five 20 minute sessions each time and temps were fine. Obviously I'm talking engine temps here, but if the transmission and/or diff were getting too hot, it didn't seem to be noticeable. What would make the PP2 act differently?
Not to sound overly harsh, but statements like these don't hold much validity without knowing your experience level, track, lap times, etc.

There was a guy that used to bring his ZL1 (before they started doing all the coolers) to my local track..........he never had issues with overheating.

He was also running slower lap times than I was in my Miata. So obviously he wasn't stressing the car as hard.

As far as overheating temps not being noticeable, no, not while you're on track. What happens is the fluid degrades much, MUCH more quickly so it doesn't adequately protect the drivetrain longterm.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The 2015 mustangs didn’t have sensors to put the car into limp mode. I am not sure about the 2016’s. 2018’s will be coming with these sensors and as soon as you hit the setpoint temperature the car will go into limp mode, same happened to early gt350’s!
So now I am not sure that I am glad I have a 2015 or if I am going to accidentally burn something up because it doesn't have the sensors!

As far as the GT350's all will still go into limp mode, but it mostly affected the Tech Packs without the coolers. In 2017, the coolers became standard on all 350's due to numerous complaints about a car being advertised as the most track capable Mustang ever, but frequently going into limp mode on the Tech Pack models. Ford contended that if you wanted a track car, you should have bought the Track Pack version.

I think part of the watch out here is it that this package is called the Tremor or PP2 and not a Track Pack.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
For me this brings up the question: How many current GT PP's that hit the track hit limp mode?
I know it has been a big deal on the non TP 350's (which are usually caused by the trans getting too hot I think?), but I haven't heard a lot about the normal PP's hitting limp mode.
See the Track section. But the answer is a lot.

The 2015 don't have a sensor/reading so don't know they have a problem. The 2016+ do, and get a scary warning, and I think go into a limp home mode.
Track time is expensive, so you don't want to waste half of it because your car overheats.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
So now I am not sure that I am glad I have a 2015 or if I am going to accidentally burn something up because it doesn't have the sensors!

As far as the GT350's all will still go into limp mode, but it mostly affected the Tech Packs without the coolers. In 2017, the coolers became standard on all 350's due to numerous complaints about a car being advertised as the most track capable Mustang ever, but frequently going into limp mode on the Tech Pack models. Ford contended that if you wanted a track car, you should have bought the Track Pack version.

I think part of the watch out here is it that this package is called the Tremor or PP2 and not a Track Pack.
You are not going to burn stuff! Just go with a more viscous fluid if you track your car to ease your mind!

Yes i understand the PP2 not being called Track Pack and that is also another excuse. We had the same problem when the first pp equipped cars hit the market. Maybe what Ford doing here is just for the looks and the show but not for the real deal.

They might be trying to draw a line between a gt and gt350 with the track capability. Does it make sense the way they do it? No! Is it going to cost them customers and money? Yes!

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
We all understand the advantages of digital cameras.

Explain from your perspective the advantages of "electric, hybrid or small four" in an inexpensive sporty car market. I see all of them as either under-powered, heavy or expensive - and some as all three. Digital cameras save money and add convenience. Electric costs more money and is less convenient when compared to gas. It's also less reliable and the components don't last as long.
Tesla, Prius, Civic sales? Ford would love to have a dominant offering against those three!
Some people would never buy a Fiesta or Focus, but if you change the name to Mustang and offer them a Mustang shaped Focus in a shooting break variant with enough trunk opening to put a bike in... Dunno, Id buy it (still keep my Whippled 2015).

Porsche built an SUV, and sedan based on the 911!!!

The Mustang design win is HUGE.
How can Ford NOT be carrying out a design study on:
1. A sedan Mustang
2. A shooting brake Mustang
3. A Focus platform based smaller / lighter Mustang

You dont have a short city commute w a plug in. Hella convenient never getting gas. Super inconvenient for long road trips. Its not black and white and I consider your comments with open mind. With open mind, consider your comments again regarding electric, convenience, reliability.
The markets exist and I strongly believe a tightly coupled Mustang design language would sell.
My point is these issues ARE difficult to quantify, Tesla/Prius/Civic exist, and it is extremely dangerous to cede competitive advantage.

Early digital cameras were terribly inconvenient: low resolution, used batteries, storage limitations, costs to print an image of decent quality and share were high in cost and time commitment.
When the dust settled, Kodak was so far behind in intelluctual property and market experience that regaining competitive advantage cost more than Kodak could afford.

Is it too late and with all Ford’s experience and resources they cannot build a Tesla Model 3 competitor?
Why did Tesla install another combustion engine dyno?
If Tesla can make the business case for a hybrid to compete w Prius before Ford, then what?

If the architecture of Fords business development is contaminated by Fords desired perspective of the market in Fords terms, then they may be in trouble in managing the risk of the real market and loss of IP, competitive advantage, and future markets.

Its a huge amount of time and work to set up all the coolers. All the fittings, rerouting lines, most people dont have mandrels
for bending hard lines, Setting up temp switches, fail safe lights or temp indicators for if pump fails, etc etc.
It is a “deal” and PITA and has value.

Hell, no one currently has a problem dropping thousands of dollars on aftermarket wheels, suspension bits etc.
They are easy to install, allow personalization cosmetically and/or functionally, not going to kill a trans or motor if done wrong,etc.
Coolers are not cosmetic, PITA w electronics, fuses, switches, relays, relocating and running lines, making brackets, etc etc.

Or you've done it before and your tired of the extra space/time/money it takes to have a 2nd street legal car.......or having to DD a truck and keep a trailer, etc.

I want to jump in the car with a few tools, chairs, cooler with food and water, drive to the track have fun, drive home.
YES!! EXACTLY WHY IM ASKING FOR A MUSTANG 1LE TRACK CAR OR FRPP COOLER KIT FOR TEXAS!

ANY FORD ENGINEERS, TECHNICIANS NEEDING A GARAGE OR PLACE TO STAY DURING COTA TESTING THIS SUMMER JUST PM!

Last edited:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
It's all a sales game. These companies exist to make money. Why would Ford include coolers on a car that less than 5% will ever need? Hell, we have no idea what the limp mode parameters will be either.

As for the camaro, their cars still look like shit and make me feel like i'm stuck in mushroom farm while driving.
It is all about what you get for your money. It doesn’t matter if you track these cars or not. Keep in mind that if a car is built for track duty, it is also built to be more durable! If A company gives you more than the B company for the same amount of money, now the only thing holding you back is if you like the looks and the drivability of the car! Forget about the 5%!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It is all about what you get for your money. It doesn’t matter if you track these cars or not. Keep in mind that if a car is built for track duty, it is also built to be more durable! If A company gives you more than the B company for the same amount of money, now the only thing holding you back is if you like the looks and the drivability of the car! Forget about the 5%!
It's only more durable if you push it past the original limits. The stock rear ends and transmissions in these cars will last well past 150k miles without coolers. The durability is only added for those that are going to turn multiple laps during hot track days.

Bang for the buck is great...but when the competitor looks and makes you feel like shit driving it, what good is it? Ford knows this. We don't have to like it (I don't), but when you break it down...VERY few (as a percentage of total owners) will be complaining after purchase, and those that do will likely add the aftermarket coolers. Hell, no one currently has a problem dropping thousands of dollars on aftermarket wheels, suspension bits etc.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I suppose the true question is what level of track expertise should Ford be designing this car for?

I'm only HPDE level 2 and had a 2011 Mustang GT stock and experienced no issues at a Mustang Club event in July with temps close to 100 degrees. Did five sessions of 20 minutes or so. Biggest problem was tire pressures that went way up and adjusting accordingly. That car if it had a better driver, better tires, etc would most likely have quit at some point without further cooling upgrades.

For those that are experts, you would think they'd have a dedicated track car.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
For those that are experts, you would think they'd have a dedicated track car.
Or you've done it before and your tired of the extra space/time/money it takes to have a 2nd street legal car.......or having to DD a truck and keep a trailer, etc.

I want to jump in the car with a few tools, chairs, cooler with food and water, drive to the track have fun, drive home.
Sponsored