Sponsored

2018 Mustang Performance Package Level 2 (PP2) "Tremor Package" Contents Revealed

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The refresh Camaro won't come until 2019, so my guess is that Ford will offer a more track capable package PP2 for MY2019. Regardless of the lower HP, a better handling package with great cooling could still hold its own on a track.
We already saw the mules with production headlights a few days ago, I'm pretty sure the refresh will be out next year :)
Sponsored

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
We already saw the mules with production headlights a few days ago, I'm pretty sure the refresh will be out next year :)
Lol I mean't when it'd hit the streets and dealerships. It'd probably be revealed at Detroit next year.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Lol I mean't when it'd hit the streets and dealerships. It'd probably be revealed at Detroit next year.
Yeah, it will be late 2018 or early 2019, just like the Mustang refresh takes its time :D

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You live in Florida so if you're willing to drive on MSC2's in random day showers I should be fine. We get about 12" of rain a year in NorCal and most of it is from December to April.
Thats the exact opposite of what I was saying.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So my dealer is going to keep my original order and they're going to reorder me an Oxford White GTPP2 no options besides what is required. $44495 MSRP, $45300 OTD after the same invoice -3% holdback discount.
Ouch, those Cali taxes.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford execs need to case study Kodak.
Kodak invented the digital camera.
They wrongly concluded that developing digital imaging would cannibalize their chemical film business and ceded an entire industry they founded to their competition.
Why?
Because they acted based on what they could easily quantify instead of what they could not quantify.
They could say exactly how much less money a consumer would pay Kodak per image if chemical developing were not needed.
They could NOT quantify the opportunity lost in not pursuing todays $15 Billion digital camera market.

Ford doesn’t have time for this. Scrap the 5.2 low volume engine as a costly halo item.
Introducing the 2018 Mustang “Grassroots/trackrat/Detroit/COTA/Americas” Special:
Keep the cheaper halo items: 10qt oil pan w baffling, oil pump housing?, suspension, coolers, variable exhaust, brakes. Yes they are lower volume but much lower risk vs the 5.2 engine. Offer base interior.
Having tracked a 2015 5.0 with a Whipple during the summer, this engine is insanely durable. Just give us a base package w coolers and let us take the risk of adding low mount turbos or a Whipple or centri.

Speaking of digital cameras: where is the PDR for the Mustang?

The lost GT350 sales are easy to quantify.
The lost SS 1LE sales are difficult to quantify.

You are so close to taking the Mustang legacy to another level. You dont need to recreate previous legacies like Mach,Bullet, etc etc. - thats like saying you cant do anything unique anymore. Time for a new legend. :amen::ford:

Ford needs more concepts and something desirable as electric, hybrid or small four. Please show us a downscaled mustang shooting brake concept w lighter chassis and front wheels pushed forward w a turbo4, hybrid and electric option.
Its ok if a 5.0 could be shoe horned in later.
We all understand the advantages of digital cameras.

Explain from your perspective the advantages of "electric, hybrid or small four" in an inexpensive sporty car market. I see all of them as either under-powered, heavy or expensive - and some as all three. Digital cameras save money and add convenience. Electric costs more money and is less convenient when compared to gas. It's also less reliable and the components don't last as long.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Sorry, but no. The vast majority of GT PP owners out there bought it when it was a much cheaper package.

GTPP was a "why not" package, with zero downside.

GTPP2 forces you to make some serious compromises. Don't drive over speed bumps, steep driveways, car washes, etc. Don't drive in the rain. Etc. People don't put those types of packages in their cars lightly.
And oh, by the way, it will go into limp mode at the track so buy an aftermarket cooler that may or may not void your warranty. (Although, a lot of people who do track their cars aren't worried about warranties. So that may not be a big deal. :shrug:)

So basically they're charging $6,500... for an inconvenience.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And oh, by the way, it will go into limp mode at the track so buy an aftermarket cooler that may or may not void your warranty. (Although, a lot of people who do track their cars aren't worried about warranties. So that may not be a big deal. :shrug:)

So basically they're charging $6,500... for an inconvenience.
Oh the aftermarket cooler DEFINITELY will void your warranty. Even if you buy it from Ford Performance through your local dealer and it's all factory Ford components.

One of the few times I find myself agreeing with you. I'm marking my calendar.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Based on "math" if there are two OD's 5th will be barely taller than 1:1 and there will be no 1:1 ratio. Making 4th a 1:1 ratio will result in a roughly 155 mph 4th gear with 3.73 r&p and a 7300 max rpm.

As a result 1 - 3 will either all be taller or there will be a huge rpm drop between one or more gears.

Look at the Current Camaro SS ratios for an example of a two OD transmission with a 1:1 4th gear and note the tall lower gears.

Look at the current Mustang 6 speed auto for an example of no 1:1 gear.

I definitely don't like the idea of the double overdrive trans in the Mustang specifically because of the needed wide gear spacing, it won't match the Coyote's powerband. I'm hoping it turns out to be false.

Manual transmissions will almost always have a 1:1 gear since that is when the main shaft is simply locked together with no gear reduction/overdrive. Automatic transmissions don't always operate like that since they don't have a main shaft in the same respect as a manual but rather use planetary gear sets to provide the various ratios.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
I'm not sure why most people think the PP2 will have overheating issues. I tracked my 2015 with PP more than once during 94-98 degree weather. Did five 20 minute sessions each time and temps were fine. Obviously I'm talking engine temps here, but if the transmission and/or diff were getting too hot, it didn't seem to be noticeable. What would make the PP2 act differently?

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I'm not sure why most people think the PP2 will have overheating issues. I tracked my 2015 with PP more than once during 94-98 degree weather. Did five 20 minute sessions each time and temps were fine. Obviously I'm talking engine temps here, but if the transmission and/or diff were getting too hot, it didn't seem to be noticeable. What would make the PP2 act differently?
The 2015 mustangs didn’t have sensors to put the car into limp mode. I am not sure about the 2016’s. 2018’s will be coming with these sensors and as soon as you hit the setpoint temperature the car will go into limp mode, same happened to early gt350’s!

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The upcoming refreshed 2019 Camaro SS, which is going to be the refreshed Mustang's main competitor, is being benchmarked against the GT350. I don't think it matters if GT350 owners feel encroached on by a more capable Mustang GT, The GT needs to be able to match the performance of its rival or be left behind.

My guess is that the 2019 PP2 will have all the cooling issues sorted out in time to go toe-to-toe with the beast Chevy will be unleashing with their upcoming refresh. Ford still has the luxury to cheap out on these things for 2018.
This is what I don’t get it. Why Chevy takes things more seriously than Ford, and why is Ford sleeping? I understand the sales are good and all but why not test the cars against the real competition as Chevy is doing? Instead putting out words such as “ 2018 mustang is faster than a Porsche Carrera”. I mean come oooon !!!!!

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
While the e-book contradicts itself on this among a few other errors, it and a few Ford employees have stated the MT-82 D4 has two overdrive gears which means all gear ratios have changed. Nothing is certain of course.
At least they're getting a few things right ;)

Jenkins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
Post in the road course section indicates the rear diff gets hot if the car is driven hard enough.

The 2015 mustangs didn’t have sensors to put the car into limp mode. I am not sure about the 2016’s. 2018’s will be coming with these sensors and as soon as you hit the setpoint temperature the car will go into limp mode, same happened to early gt350’s!
Exactly, although switching to a heavier fluid fixes the issue for some, the lack of a diff cooler worries me a bit. I'm still hoping for a mustang purchase soon but I have to say the pp2 on track disclaimer worries me a bit and the 1LEs are being discounted. Not to mention Chevy says if the car is bone stock and taken to the track they'll honor the warranty.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Because there are new sensors on the transmission and diff that weren't there in 2015. If the sensors detect overheating, the car goes into reduced power mode, aka limp mode. Not sure, but seems the new sensors were added on the 2016 model. So we're looking for input from 2016/17 owners who tracked their GTPP cars.
Sponsored