Sponsored

2018 Mustang Performance Package Level 2 (PP2) "Tremor Package" Contents Revealed

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
LOL! I almost put that in my reply knowing someone would quote that. You have no idea what that act actually entails. Go do some research before claiming that.

Ford CAN void your warranty for aftermarket parts. And they will. They have. So has Chevy. So has every other car manufacturer. Is it guaranteed that they will just because of that part? Nope. They may let it pass. But when they DO void it because of something like a catch can, you won't have any recourse. None.

Magg Moss refers to things like oil filters/air filters/maintenance items and protects you from them voiding the warranty on something like your engine if you don't use a filter they branded with their own name and decide to go with a third party OEM filter/part.

But you go right ahead and throw headers, an intake and a catch can on your car and tune it thinking that you're protected.

When it explodes, let me know how well that magg moss act works out for you...
Ford CANNOT void your warranty for aftermarket parts. They have to prove that the parts that were modified caused the damage. In the case of a transmission or diff cooler, they won’t be able to…plain and simple. They have a procedure for this. This isn’t new, people have been installing coolers (with warranty) on trucks and suvs for years. If you want to cover your ass, have it installed by an ASME certified tech.

Now if they can show that the cooler you installed was faulty or leaking, all bets are off.

In the case of headers, you are altering the engines horsepower output. If Ford can show that the headers lead to internal engine damage, then they can deny a warranty claim on the engine. They cannot however deny a claim on your brakes. The same goes for intake and tune.

The catch can is a unique beast. While in theory it’s all good, if you don’t drain the dam things they can lead to engine damage.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Go read through the track section.

Even the new ND Miata requires engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, and differential cooler for track work. New cars are engineered much closer to the limit than they used to be.

Yeah, is that why Ford is denying GT350 warranty claims for installing a catch can that they recommended?

And yes, they can't VOID the warranty, but they sure can deny a claim against the warranty. But once they deny a claim, let's say because you put a tune on the car, your car is now logged with Ford of NA, and you are essentially driving a car with no warranty because any claim will go back to the original denial.

So MMA sounds good in theory, but in practice, it's easy for the dealer/manufacturer to leave you holding the bag.
See my previous post on the catch can conundrum. It's an item that requires maintenance. If you fail to maintain it, it can cause engine damage. Big difference.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Yes I've been driving it 4 years and love the car but hate the short gears for all the traffic. Almost never use 1st. I've only done one track day 3 yrs ago and could not understand what advantage the short 3.73 gears were supposed to give as most straights required another extra shift up to complete. Not willing to do another 5 or 6 years rowing. Maybe ratios will be taller:shrug: still want the A10!
The purpose of those gears are to make up for the low torque output of the engine, putting you early on the powerband, assuming you can shift gears within tenths of a second like an automatic transmission! I do agree the 3.73’s are short for daily and i also dd my car even in winter. I would like to point out one thing though, the 2018 will be revving up to 7500 rpm so 3.73’s might actually won’t be that bad. You should be able to hit 60 mph on the second gear and finish quarter at the end of 4th! Thats a huge advantage if you can really shift like a pro!

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Ford CANNOT void your warranty for aftermarket parts. They have to prove that the parts that were modified caused the damage. In the case of a transmission or diff cooler, they won’t be able to…plain and simple. They have a procedure for this. This isn’t new, people have been installing coolers (with warranty) on trucks and suvs for years. If you want to cover your ass, have it installed by an ASME certified tech.

Now if they can show that the cooler you installed was faulty or leaking, all bets are off.

In the case of headers, you are altering the engines horsepower output. If Ford can show that the headers lead to internal engine damage, then they can deny a warranty claim on the engine. They cannot however deny a claim on your brakes. The same goes for intake and tune.

The catch can is a unique beast. While in theory it’s all good, if you don’t drain the dam things they can lead to engine damage.
You are correct. We may be on the same page more than I thought, but just different way of explaining it. You are correct that they can't void some unrelated part (Like you said, breaks because of an engine mod). And it's more of a denial of claim due to the modded part and not an outright void of the warranty.

However, the catch can has had warranties denied for oil pumps when, c'mon, we all know that probably wasn't the issue...

So we'll just call it even there. lol

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You are correct. We may be on the same page more than I thought, but just different way of explaining it. You are correct that they can't void some unrelated part (Like you said, breaks because of an engine mod). And it's more of a denial of claim due to the modded part and not an outright void of the warranty. So we'll just call it even there. lol
Fair enough. :cheers:

Sponsored

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car

See my previous post on the catch can conundrum. It's an item that requires maintenance. If you fail to maintain it, it can cause engine damage. Big difference.

Have you ever actually dealt with this? They have the resources and legal team to waste your time and money until you get frustrated enough to give up.

In your example of the headers increasing HP, you have now caused the engine to perform outside of its designed parameters. Which also means the transmission, differential, half shafts, etc. You now effectively have a car without a warranty on the drivetrain because they will go back to that. If you don't believe me, try it, I have. It's why my current car will be getting ditched ASAP.

What I'm really curious to see is if Ford is going to deny warranty claims from issues that happen on track. Chevrolet has specifically stated that if you leave the SS 1LE completely stock, they will honor any warranty claims that happen on track.

Obviously they aren't going to warranty the engine if you money shift from 5th to 2nd at 100mph though :)

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
The purpose of those gears are to make up for the low torque output of the engine, putting you early on the powerband, assuming you can shift gears within tenths of a second like an automatic transmission! I do agree the 3.73’s are short for daily and i also dd my car even in winter. I would like to point out one thing though, the 2018 will be revving up to 7500 rpm so 3.73’s might actually won’t be that bad. You should be able to hit 60 mph on the second gear and finish quarter at the end of 4th! Thats a huge advantage if you can really shift like a pro!
On a road course I feel like they help keep the RPM's up coming out of a corner. Maybe you don't have to downshift again to have good power coming out of the corner.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Have you ever actually dealt with this? They have the resources and legal team to waste your time and money until you get frustrated enough to give up.

In your example of the headers increasing HP, you have now caused the engine to perform outside of its designed parameters. Which also means the transmission, differential, half shafts, etc. You now effectively have a car without a warranty on the drivetrain because they will go back to that. If you don't believe me, try it, I have. It's why my current car will be getting ditched ASAP.

What I'm really curious to see is if Ford is going to deny warranty claims from issues that happen on track. Chevrolet has specifically stated that if you leave the SS 1LE completely stock, they will honor any warranty claims that happen on track.
If Ford can prove any item caused irreparable damage to the other items, then yes…a warranty claim denial is possible. This is why I don’t plan on going with an aftermarket tune or headers before my 10 year/200k mile warranty is up.

Coolers are not in the same ballpark however. They are items that give extra durability (if installed properly), they don’t reduce transmission or differential life.

I personally have never dealt with this, so it is ENTIRELY theoretical on my behalf. I know others that have had no problems with warranty claims on vehicles with transmission coolers…but to be quite honest, they never had any problems with the transmission….as the coolers are there to help, not hurt.

As for warranty claims on the track, Ford seems to leave a lot open to interpretation. They need to just cowboy up and learn from Chevy in that regard. The added positive PR far outweighs the few warranty claims they’ll have from track duty.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

They can deny anything they want because it is easy - most of the time they don't for unrelated parts but the burden of proof that part had / didn't have impact is on the owner. Honestly, it would be pretty easy to decline the warranty on the brakes if they only wanted to - more engine power - more energy needs to be handled by brakes (since generally - higher speeds), therefore your problem dear owner. They just don't go there.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
They can deny anything they want because it is easy - most of the time they don't for unrelated parts but the burden of proof that part had / didn't have impact is on the owner. Honestly, it would be pretty easy to decline the warranty on the brakes if they only wanted to - more engine power - more energy needs to be handled by brakes (since generally - higher speeds), therefore your problem dear owner. They just don't go there.
Burden of proof is on Ford. They have to at least go through the process of inspecting and documenting what failed and do a RCA on why before they can deny a claim. After that point, you are correct though....if they come up with a conclusion that you aren't satisfied with, you're screwed.

Engine power has no bearing on brakes. It doesn't matter if your stopping from 100mph with 5000 hp or 100mph with 20 hp, the physics are the same. They would have to prove that you were stopping at a speed higher than the brakes were designed to...which would be difficult if not impossible on their behalf.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Burden of proof is on Ford. They have to at least go through the process of inspecting and documenting what failed and do a RCA on why before they can deny a claim. After that point, you are correct though....if they come up with a conclusion that you aren't satisfied with, you're screwed.
I don't think it is. All denied warranty claims didn't have anything remotely close to an RCA behind. And it's the dealer that denies it. Then ball is on the owner's side.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I don't think it is. All denied warranty claims didn't have anything remotely close to an RCA behind. And it's the dealer that denies it. Then ball is on the owner's side.
I know, he's awfully assertive on a process he admits he has never dealt with before.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've tuned my last two cars from new. No problems with warranty claims.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Were the warranty claims related to the drivetrain?

Or AC or something? Water intrusion? Etc.
Clutch, intake manifold, LCA and other stuff.

This whole idea of not modding because your warranty will be denied/revoked is silly. Big mods are one thing, a friggin' mild caned tune is nothing to worry about.

You think people stop and wonder if their warranty will be revoked if they put different wheels and tires on? No. This is just internet rumor being spread around. The only people that are worried about it are internet forum members.
Sponsored