Placebo Effect?

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I recently installed an aftermarket intake tube claiming 5% more air intake with an aem dry filter.

The intake tube was mishimoto and claimed 15 horse and 15 torque. I have to admit I'm skeptical on the numbers but I wouldn't have swapped it if I didn't believe there was some benefit.

I don't run I sport mode, just can't be hassled but I'll be damned if I'm not slipping around like traction control is off. Even 15 horse on a car with this many stock horses, you wouldn't think it noticeable.

That said, many many people here claim their best mod is a tune and I've been skeptical just how much horse power that would really provide?

What do you think. In my head or does the little bit of power benefit actually noticeable?
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Changing the air intake will have no effect without software tuning. But when you tune your car, the intake will give a slight powerbump :)

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I personally think it's placebo effect. I think cold air intakes are nothing more than a marketing gimmick, unless your upgrading everything else from the tune, intake, exhaust etc. I think you'll get the same results with just an upgraded air filter for the average driver.

When I was a teen a cold air intake was flipping the air filter lid over. It just made more noise.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I wouldn't say it's all placebo. I added my CAI from Roush and catback exhaust from Magnaflow. The combined addition did add roughly 33 rwhp and 70 lb-ft torque, documented on dyno pulls (different locations, same model dyno).

Dyno-002.png

Dyno-003.jpg

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
cold air intake on a GT? maybe 5HP bump without a tune..
I'm gonna say mostly a placebo effect from louder intake noise?

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
cold air intake on a GT? maybe 5HP bump without a tune..
I'm gonna say mostly a placebo effect from louder intake noise?
Yeah, I'd say without a tune most people opt for this more for the noise than any performance gain. Stock boxes are really good now days.

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT base. Roush axleback and frpp xpipe.
Have the same thing installed. Feel a bit more, but not sure how much extra 15hp can feel on a car already making 400+hp. One the flip side there is a guy on here showing excellent gains on the dyno after install. He got 19whp and 20+lbft when comparing to the right before install.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This was a huge topic of discussion for the 11-14 cars.

The short of it is, the stock intake box/tube can outflow the intake manifold. Any gains you see on a dyno is usually a result of having the hood open and air being blown into it.

It's also common for companies to dyno a car without a fan and a stock intake, and after they swap out for an aftermarket intake, they throw a fan in front of the car. This happened a lot with the RS community.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
This was a huge topic of discussion for the 11-14 cars.

The short of it is, the stock intake box/tube can outflow the intake manifold. Any gains you see on a dyno is usually a result of having the hood open and air being blown into it.

It's also common for companies to dyno a car without a fan and a stock intake, and after they swap out for an aftermarket intake, they throw a fan in front of the car. This happened a lot with the RS community.
I never even would have considered this. Good info.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Most cold air intakes on the market either don't flow as well as your stock intake or are more like hot air intakes or both!

You have a cold air intake from the factory, why downgrade?

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Just got to read up about it and decide for yourself :shrug:

http://blog.streetsideauto.com/auto-parts/cold-air-intakes-work/

I bought one because A.) It looks way better than the ugly stock one B.) I'm planning on getting tuned in the future and hoping to get just a tad bit more power with it. I did not expect to get any extra HP from it without a tune

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
OP is talking about the elbow, not the intake. The elbow can gain a little power due to the shape and lack of baffles. Definitely not a placebo especially combined with a better flowing replacement filter with more surface area, I know the mishimoto was redesigned a few times to get the shape and volume correct for what the engine likes. The biggest effect of these changes is tip-in response which will cause more wheelspin.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The stock intake is all about sound suppression, not flow. So it's one or the other, there's no inbetween.

OP
OP

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
You know it's funny, the exhaust didn't get louder so far as I can tell. Honestly I thought it toned down a bit.
Sponsored