Sponsored

Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft - Anyone installed one yet?

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
Just curious if anyone has any experience with a carbon fiber drive shaft. I've seen at least two in the market place.

Thanks!:cheers:
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just curious if anyone has any experience with a carbon fiber drive shaft. I've seen at least two in the market place.

Thanks!:cheers:
A few have.

Honestly on this car I think you can spend your money on better upgrades before the driveshaft. The weight savings is very minor.

If you're looking to save weight quickly you can do a wheel upgrade, rear seat delete and more.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i had an aluminum one on my old s197 coyote. very noticable difference in throttle response. i can't imagine what a cf shaft would be like on a voodoo.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Yea I wonder how the CF would affect the feel of the car, would it feel quicker to rev while in gear?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The first 10 or so pages of this thread are a fairly good back and forth on the subject.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47592&highlight=hameedi+carbon+fiber

Since the above thread QA1 has thrown their hat into the mix.

http://www.qa1.net/driveshafts/stre...7-mustang-rev-series-carbon-fiber-driveshafts

[ame]

I've waited for some time to see what they brought to the table and so far I really like what I see. I plan on discussing this further with them. In the meantime, I've spoken at length with two different individuals that have done the swap. Both track their cars.

Some photos that each have shared of the QA1 fiber shaft...

Stock shaft(s) and hardware come in ~31lbs....

QA1 comes in ~20.5lbs...

My understanding is that the OD plays nice with the MGW shifter and that clearance is not an issue. LMR looks to have some of the most competitive pricing on it out there.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It is very similar to the two-piece used on the S197 cars in diameter, overall length, etc.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Looking to do this as a Christmas gift to myself. Possibly switching to lighter wheels next spring or summer.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Epiphany; My understanding is that the OD plays nice with the MGW shifter and that clearance is not an issue. LMR looks to have some of the[URL="https://lmr.com/item/QA1-JJ21213/shelby-gt350-carbon-fiber-driveshaft-qa1-15-17-jj-21213" said:
most competitive pricing[/URL] on it out there.
That's a nice looking drive shaft. I've been kicking around the idea of doing both these mods.

Random driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor 2017 GT350R
I have the QA1 drive shaft on my R. One benefit is the weight savings, but additionally the single piece versus the OEM two piece should increase structural rigidity, lower parasitic loss and give the feel of increased response.

I have not done any dyno testing or anything of the sort. But, I certainly "feel" an improvement. Perceived or real, who knows.

I also have a carbon fiber hood (waiting to be painted avalanche gray and then installed). Have the lithium battery waiting to be installed. And then carbon ceramic brakes for the front next (hoping they develop for rear as well). Have JLT oil separators installed already.

Next mods to be the auto blip and any other ways to lighten the load.

Sponsored
OP
OP
wasserott

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
I would expect to see a hp increase on a chassis dyno. I was hoping someone could prove this out with before and after runs.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Any of you fellas running the CF notice an increase in vibrations at all?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have a GT with an aluminum 1-piece driveshaft that weighs approx. 19 lbs.. (1) get a driveshaft with a CV joint at the diff - they are less likely to give you problems like vibration under load but will be a few pounds heavier as a consequence - this is from my research and my having one without a CV joint and dealing with it...; (2) aluminum is fine, CF is not necessary IMO unless you're drag racing and need that little bit of give - the weight savings for the price increase is just not there; (3) this is not a worthwhile modification anyway IMO... it wasn't such a profound difference that I felt I got value out of spending $800+ for a tube and some joints. Steeda engine mounts made for a much snappier throttle response feel and very little NVH. I can't imagine these experiences/learnings would not translate to a GT350.
Sponsored