A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, ive seen that video before. doesnt it make u cringe? not just the dash parts being all over the place, but when they have to pry the old evaporator out of the housing to replace it? LOL. and some here have had to do this surgery two or even 3 times to their car already...
Sponsored

chriswolf63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC SLT Premium Plus 4x4
yep, ive seen that video before. doesnt it make u cringe? not just the dash parts being all over the place, but when they have to pry the old evaporator out of the housing to replace it? LOL. and some here have had to do this surgery two or even 3 times to their car already...
Yes it does. This should not be happening to cars so young. So the air box contains the heater and evap cores. It's not designed to come apart. The folks in that video are having to drill through the plastic air box to get to the core. This is a shitty design. Ford is not only screwing their customers. They're also screwing the dealers that have to fix their obvious design flaw by limiting reimbursement hours. Someone please pinch me so I can wakeup from this nightmare.......

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Yes it does. This should not be happening to cars so young. So the air box contains the heater and evap cores. It's not designed to come apart. The folks in that video are having to drill through the plastic air box to get to the core. This is a shitty design. Ford is not only screwing their customers. They're also screwing the dealers that have to fix their obvious design flaw by limiting reimbursement hours. Someone please pinch me so I can wakeup from this nightmare.......
I'm test driving a Camaro 1ss this weekend. I can't believe I'm saying that, but yea... Too many issues with this car to deal with. My dealership experience has also been sub-par. If Ford doesn't care about me, then I'm just gonna stop supporting them. It's sad because I love how this car looks. I just can't imagine the issues I'll have next year.

Mark52479

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT
My car had 1,450 miles on it before the EVAP went out. Crazy so early on.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm wondering if Ford just replaces the whole unit ... it's not that expensive of a part. Save a lot of time that way too.

Sponsored

chriswolf63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC SLT Premium Plus 4x4
I'm wondering if Ford just replaces the whole unit ... it's not that expensive of a part. Save a lot of time that way too.
Yep. The whole air box assembly with heater and evap cores along with the blower is replaced.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
At least in my case they told me that they will replace the whole a/c unit...

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
a/c makes up a lot of units. compressor, evaporator, condenser, all in different areas of the car.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Yeah, maybe the air box unit... Whatever. I really don't know. It's a nightmare...

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I should be one of the unlucky few worldwide going into a third evaporator (2 replacements) and maybe the only 2016 GT350 with such a bad luck.

Before it was the oil cooler recall, and now, the evaporator issue. At least my engine has not blown to pieces.

Like others in this thread, I've considered selling out before the warranty expires. I want to hold on to a car that was not only coincidentally manufactured on my birthday but is sooo much fun to drive.

I will press the dealer for a solution to press Ford and will revert back with whatever they tell me.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
hey fam.. i have kept my car under observation until it goes for the evap core check.. Now its been like 2 weeks .. and passenger side still blows cold air and driver is cool not cold when set 62 or 63...or anything... the way i have seen it when evap core goes entire AC is gone... or m i missing something here

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I'm afraid your evap is probably leaking. Mine blew cold not chilling air from passg side vent and the right center vent and warm air from the driver side and left center vent. A few days later it went out. During this time it seemed that the a/c had asthma.

I'm going in tomorrow for the second evap replacement.

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Took mine in this morning just for an A/C diagnostic. Explaining the symptoms to her, the Service Writer immediately said, "sounds like the evap core". So I was somewhat relived that at least they know of the issue. She didn't try to blame it on anything else, like the blend-door.

Turns out they have a lot of rental Mustangs come in for this issue, so they have two guys that do nothing but change these out.

I went back and talked to the parts guy since they have to order it... he said the latest letter-revision at the end of the part number is now a Y.

Overall, they seemed very knowledgeable about the problem. I did wonder why they don't stock them, but at least I'm getting the latest revision (for now), and not an older revision that they happened to have on the shelf.

I'll follow-up after the swap! Fingers crossed it goes well!

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
theyre running out of letters.