Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
2015 with 92,000 miles and no issues at all.
What month and year was your 2015 built (it's on the VIN sticker on the door jamb)? Maybe there was a bunch of good evaporators that ended up in some of the 2015-2016s.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
What month and year was your 2015 built (it's on the VIN sticker on the door jamb)? Maybe there was a bunch of good evaporators that ended up in some of the 2015-2016s.
I think we need a sticky poll so we can get at least a feel for percentages...

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine's a 2015, almost 75k miles, no drivetrain issues. My a/c stopped cooling awhile back, so I recovered the R-134a refrigerant, evacuated the system, then recharged it with fresh/new refrigerant. Works fine now.
I understand there's an issue with the evaporator coil leaking, but I was unable to detect any refrigerant leaking with my electronic leak detector. I never heard of Ford issuing a recall for this problem, and likely won't.
I've encountered new a/c coils leaking, and I've had to write warranties to repair or replace them in large commercial systems. Mass production coils tend to have problems. Quality control departments usually gets the budget cuts.... But warranty repairs paid the same as other repairs.

Sponsored

Led_footed4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I bought my 2017 pp1 a year ago with 25,000 miles. Needed to replace the evaporator immediately but waited until late spring when it became necessary.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think we need a sticky poll so we can get at least a feel for percentages...
How? No way for any of us to poll x random owners.

The few that have experienced failures will be massively over represented in any forum open poll. For example, owners who are happy with their car are far less likely to even visit a forum than owners upset about any expensive failure. And forum members who never had a particular problem are less likely to open threads about it or bother to vote.

If someone could find out the number of these evaporators Ford purchased from suppliers and compare that to Mustangs built, that might give us a good ballpark.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
I added gas to my 2015 V6 at about 75K miles mid 2023 and then again later in 2023 and thereafter found this thread.

Has anyone had theirs replaced under warranty/latent defect this late in the game?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I added gas to my 2015 V6 at about 75K miles mid 2023 and then again later in 2023 and thereafter found this thread.

Has anyone had theirs replaced under warranty/latent defect this late in the game?
Only way any kind of warranty would cover the failure at this point is if you had some crazy long extended warranty on the car that covered it. I don't think Ford is going to do anything for people anymore with it being that far out. You could certainly call Ford and see what they say, they still might pay for part of it. You wouldn't know for sure unless you called Ford to found out.
Sponsored