Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I like manual but not all the time. I find it hard to just relax and drive with a manual. Maybe if you have a manual you don't want to relax. I do though and always having a manual feels like I need to drive with a stick up my a$$.
With a manual, if the car does something I didn't tell it to it means there is a problem.

In an automatic I'm constantly trying to figure out if that shift was intentional... why did it happen? did I do something to make it shift? was the car bored?

After about 2 months of driving stick you put zero thought into it. It becomes automatic.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
After about 2 months of driving stick you put zero thought into it. It becomes automatic.
Pretty much. I remember when I first started driving MT, even something simple like slowing down I had to think about what gear I needed to be in. It's pretty much second nature now but....its a fun second nature. I still think it requires a lot more coordination and brainwork than an AT. My cousin who is a sh*tty driver can't drive manual because he has really bad coordination and bad reflexes lol. If all cars were MT...he'd never have his license.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Thank goodness this surpassed 300 posts.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Because you don't shift an automatic. You can tell an automatic that you want it to shift, but it doesn't always listen.

In the 3 rentals I had before I purchased my S550 I noticed that in stop & go traffic the damn thing would shift just as I lifted my foot to move it to the brake.

What ended up happening was a shift-lurch (another thing that doesn't happen with stick) toward the vehicle in front of me before a hard brake and a little cringe.
It would do this in 'manual' mode?

The only time I have ever had a car shift without my input when in manual mode is when you come to a complete stop - it then will automatically go into first.

And some cars will auto shift if you hit redline - my understanding was the mustang a6 does not do this.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
It would do this in 'manual' mode?

The only time I have ever had a car shift without my input when in manual mode is when you come to a complete stop - it then will automatically go into first.

And some cars will auto shift if you hit redline - my understanding was the mustang a6 does not do this.
Why would you put an automatic in manual mode? :crazy:
Seems less expensive and easier to buy a manual.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Why would you put an automatic in manual mode? :crazy:
Seems less expensive and easier to buy a manual.
I've tried to avoid this thread because I like to eat popcorn and sit on a lawn chair while reading this, but I have to comment on this... I think someone stated above that you use just normal drive mode when in traffic but as soon as you can get to an open area, you go into "manual mode" so you can shift the car yourself through the fun parts.

I would have preferred a manual car, because my hour long trip to work is pretty clear for half the trip, but the other half and the two hours it takes to get home made me decide against that.

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
How many of you have tried to power shift from 2-3 and went into 5th?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've tried to avoid this thread because I like to eat popcorn and sit on a lawn chair while reading this, but I have to comment on this... I think someone stated above that you use just normal drive mode when in traffic.
Yes, someone did.

But you have to think outside the normal driver's normal transmission use box. Completely outside it.

Beyond some point on a "diehard-ness" scale for MT driving, using "D" (or even "S") just feels wrong. Chances are anybody who isn't past that point themselves isn't going to understand why anybody else would not want to just put it in "D" or "S" and drive off. It's as foreign to them to almost never use "D" as it is for people like me to ever use it.

Norm

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
My wife's away so I used her 2016 Altima SR today with an auto. Boring.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Yes, someone did.

But you have to think outside the normal driver's normal transmission use box. Completely outside it.

Beyond some point on a "diehard-ness" scale for MT driving, using "D" (or even "S") just feels wrong. Chances are anybody who isn't past that point themselves isn't going to understand why anybody else would not want to just put it in "D" or "S" and drive off. It's as foreign to them to almost never use "D" as it is for people like me to ever use it.

Norm
Well, I agree with that. I don't think anyone is changing anyone's mind here though. I've read every page of this thread and it's just like every thread that asks this question. If you're a diehard manual guy, you're just not going to understand why people like paddles or the "sports mode." If you're all in with the automatic, you aren't going to understand why someone would drive a manual in heavy traffic. It's just like anything else with two sides to it *cough* politics *cough*

I guess I just don't see why this thread continues. The only purpose it has served for the past while now is for arguing, rather than true discussion. Not to say that there hasn't been some meaningful discussion, just that anything meaningful has been beaten to the ground. We're all enthusiasts here, why do we need to tell someone they are right or wrong in picking what they picked?
Sponsored