Sponsored

Die hard Manual guys get in here!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What I was referring to by "heavy traffic" is the creep, stop and go kind...where in 15 -20 minutes you've maybe moved a mile. An auto would be nice in those conditions.
I disagree - and I regularly get stuck in that kind of traffic.

I think your definition of 'heavy traffic' is different than most - or at least mine.

To me heavy traffic means you are stopping and going every 10 feet or so. And generally speaking are lucky if you make it into second gear.
That is also my definition of heavy traffic. And I think it's best to have a manual transmission in that kind of traffic.

I think it's about the same.
You either hold the brake pedal for 15-20 minutes or you hold the clutch pedal for the same amount.
One thing I really like about a manual is it doesn't necessarily have to be in gear. If I'm just sitting and not moving or moving really slowly, the car's in neutral and my foot is not touching either the brake or the clutch.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Shift it yourself in manual mode.

I'm just refuting your arguments and misunderstanding of modern automatics. Since manuals are your preference, keep buying them.
OP's request was "Die hard Manual guys get in here!" and because that describes me rather well I've mostly been trying to describe what that might mean. Even starting to move off a full stop in a car without a clutch pedal feels . . . strange and somewhat disconnected/vague.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This thread will die when there is no choice but a CVT!
It's coming as they are getting better every year. (This should derail this thread a bit)
When (if) CVTs take over 90% or more of the new car market, I think you should expect to see threads titled something like "Die-hard planetary gear transmission fans get in here". And I'd expect comparable stubbornness.

Norm

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Yesterday afternoon we had a heavy backup on 59. About 10 miles of stop and go traffic which is about twice what it usually is. Didn't think twice about the clutch, creep mode really keeps these cars pliable at low speeds.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Semantics. You can control when the transmission shifts.
Sort of. It'll still be like dancing with a partner who get out of step with the music from time to time.

Norm

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Sort of. It'll still be like dancing with a partner who get out of step with the music from time to time.

Norm
Don't sugar coat it Norm. It's like dancing with a blow up doll instead of a real person. You're still dancing, but something is missing.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I guess pretty much all professional racecar drivers are a bunch of automatic driving ninnies.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Norm
How are you only 'sort of' controlling when the shift occurs? And how would things get 'out of step' from time to time?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Real cars only have manual steering, manual drum brakes and manual transmissions.

Everything else is for people who prefer to drive golf carts.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
How are you only 'sort of' controlling when the shift occurs? And how would things get 'out of step' from time to time?
Because you don't shift an automatic. You can tell an automatic that you want it to shift, but it doesn't always listen.

In the 3 rentals I had before I purchased my S550 I noticed that in stop & go traffic the damn thing would shift just as I lifted my foot to move it to the brake.

What ended up happening was a shift-lurch (another thing that doesn't happen with stick) toward the vehicle in front of me before a hard brake and a little cringe.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
even after running over 86,000 miles since 4/76.
Impressive!:clap2:

I run 1500-2000 mi/per year. But I started running seriously in 2009 at age 39.
I don't think I will ever catch up to you. :thumbsup:

Question: Do you run with that chunky key fob in your pocket?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I like manual but not all the time. I find it hard to just relax and drive with a manual. Maybe if you have a manual you don't want to relax. I do though and always having a manual feels like I need to drive with a stick up my a$$.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
It is not whether or not a manual or auto is a better driving car. A red Mustang is obviously a better driving car than any other factor. (Whee...watch this discussion explode!)
This is why I ordered my new '17 GT in red! With a manual I'll note. =)

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I like manual but not all the time. I find it hard to just relax and drive with a manual. Maybe if you have a manual you don't want to relax. I do though and always having a manual feels like I need to drive with a stick up my a$$.
Manual is therapeutic to me.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
For some people, driving requires focus and is not 2nd nature. You see it all day long, drivers have different skill levels. Some can barely drive at all, and some can drive a manual without even thinking.
Sponsored

Last edited: