Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I love the "crawl" feature of the 6mt.
When in traffic that is slow, but moving, you can let it idle with the clutch released and it will just keep moving with no stall.
Saves my leg in those 2 hour, 30 mile drives home in nutty NYC traffic.
Works in 1,2 and 3rd gear.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I wanted to use the available paddles, but the instructor I drew insisted otherwise. I used to autocross, including a few times on that very lot, and that course was pretty darn 'open' by comparison. Too bad they didn't have a radar gun set up - I think I cracked 70 mph.

And my point is that if I have to keep doing the D-S-D-S- . . . dance - which I know would happen at least some of the time, I might as well do 1-2-3-4-3-2-4- . . . or +, +, +, -, +, - ,-, ++, . . . as the case may be. Note the skipped 3rd gear.

Stop and go traffic wasn't fun with an automatic either. Bad enough that I decided very early in the game that I wasn't going to let myself get trapped in the same sort of commute that my Dad had (SE Massachusetts to Cambridge and back, via Boston). Made it stick for virtually all of a 42 year career, too (see what I did there?).

Norm
D-S-D-S-D-S..???

Put the car in "D" and go drive on the street like a normal person. If you see a twisty road, move the shift lever to "S" and the shift logic and strategy changes, is predictive, and will keep you in a better gear, hold gears, etc... for sporty driving on the track, mountain road, or even generally on the street. Grow tired of having the revs in the middle to top of the RPM band when driving casually on the street? Move the shifter back to the "D" position... :headbonk:

Or, if you want to shift the Triptronic (or better yet DCT/PDK/10spd Auto), put it in Sport (or Manual) mode and start grabbing paddles for up and downshifing, for faster shifts that don't require the clutch.

If you're in STOP AND GO traffic (by most of these replies i'm blown away that it doesn't seem like many of you guys have ever been in real stop and go traffic. For those of you who don't live in a congested metropolis) it's more on the lines of:

-Move a few feet at 5mph
-Clutch-in, brake
-Stop
(traffic starts to move)
-Clutch out, move a few feet
-Clutch-in
-Brake, stop
----and repeat for an hour or so.

^THAT is traffic where an auto is quite nice to have and a manual is NOT fun.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Put the car in "D" and go drive on the street like a normal person.
Simply put, I am not wired to drive like that. Never was, not even when the only cars available to me were automatics. Can't bring myself to drive that way.

Having only the choice between 'D' and 'S' is to apply a one-bit solution to an analog matter. What if you want something in between?.

Norm

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Simply put, I am not wired to drive like that. Never was, not even when the only cars available to me were automatics. Can't bring myself to drive that way.

Having only the choice between 'D' and 'S' is to apply a one-bit solution to an analog matter. What if you want something in between?.

Norm
Shift it yourself in manual mode.

I'm just refuting your arguments and misunderstanding of modern automatics. Since manuals are your preference, keep buying them.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Can this thread just die already... 21 pages of arguing over what amounts to peoples preferences. Lets go through the key points:

1. Traditional manual gives the driver more input/control to what the car does
2. New automatics can shift faster than a person can
3. New automatics offer better fuel mileage than traditional manuals
4. New automatics offer the ability to shift manually and different modes
5. Traditional manuals with a clutch are considered by some to be more fun to drive
6. Traditional manuals are considered by some to be more tiring to drive in rush hour

Blah blah blah blah blah

Pick whats important to you and enjoy it. Why are we trying to convince people that their opinions and what is important to them is wrong?

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
manuals rule autos drool

Sponsored

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I am in agreement this thread needs to die. That being said, I am pretty sure it never actually dies. It just gets reincarnated with a different name. The thread probably doesn't even realize it's lead many lives before, but it will be here. Another time with a different set of characters, but it will be the same story played out once again only to be forever repeated.
twilight_zone.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Can this thread just die already... 21 pages of arguing over what amounts to peoples preferences. Lets go through the key points:

1. Traditional manual gives the driver more input/control to what the car does
2. New automatics can shift faster than a person can
3. New automatics offer better fuel mileage than traditional manuals
4. New automatics offer the ability to shift manually and different modes
5. Traditional manuals with a clutch are considered by some to be more fun to drive
6. Traditional manuals are considered by some to be more tiring to drive in rush hour

Blah blah blah blah blah

Pick whats important to you and enjoy it. Why are we trying to convince people that their opinions and what is important to them is wrong?
That's debatable. I say they are equal. Depends on how you drive.

Also, the second bold statement really isn't true. You aren't shifting manually, you are merely pressing a button that allows the computer in the car to shift. Shifting manually requires a clutch YOU have to maneuver.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
This thread will die when there is no choice but a CVT!
It's coming as they are getting better every year. (This should derail this thread a bit)

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Also, the second bold statement really isn't true. You aren't shifting manually, you are merely pressing a button that allows the computer in the car to shift. Shifting manually requires a clutch YOU have to maneuver.
Semantics. You can control when the transmission shifts.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Death to this thread!

It is not whether or not a manual or auto is a better driving car. A red Mustang is obviously a better driving car than any other factor. (Whee...watch this discussion explode!)
Sponsored