Sponsored

Any dyno graphs with Comp cr Stg 3 cams?

OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
So you reckon that Comp Cams are not legit and were not tested whatsoever? Bollocks... :lol:
Talk to tuners - they did quite a few...

I've never seen L&M tests, never heard any "tuner" mentioning them yet I tend to hold my rant on them...do you work for L&M?

The L&M cams are same lift as stock with changed valve events - Comp Cams are what? :tsk:
P.S
You can't really change events in cams - you can change the duration/separation which has nothing to do with events...events are fixed in this engine...
I'm not going to argue here. I made this thread for comp cam info not for a stupid semantics fight.
Google L&M on svt performance.
The tuner is Shaun at AED, he designs cams for a living. The only data tuners have on comps are for the s197 cams not the Cr cams.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Trashing people youve never worked with again i see huh?

Geezus dont complain when i frequently catch you in the middle of this nonsense.

If YOU personally have never worked with them how can you complain or is this heresay again!?
Youve done nothing but be ostentatious, thats what youve done. Fact 1, AED's tuning blew up my buddies engine (brother in law in to be exact). I was personally involved with things with that car, while it wasnt my own it didnt need to be. He had issues with how the car was running for months. Shaun wasnt able to get it running well do to his own cockiness. He ignored my suggestions on what i felt the issue was. I begged my brother to get his car retuned else where. Shaun wanted to keep blaming the car when it was his skills or lack there of. The engine paid that price and cost a lot of money to get fixed and retuned elsewhere. I most definitely have earned the right to talk about Shaun. Get over it. Fact 2, Evolution and L&M cost Badcompany an easy 50k+ in damages in his Gt500. They were proven to be fraudulent companies.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
I'm not going to argue here. I made this thread for comp cam info not for a stupid semantics fight.
Google L&M on svt performance.
The tuner is Shaun at AED, he designs cams for a living. The only data tuners have on comps are for the s197 cams not the Cr cams.
It's not semantics - it's engineering...and it's not stupid.

Comp Cams founded in 1976...makes what, burgers for living? :lol:

Jon Lund:
I've made 470 to the tire on a GT350 manifold setup with Comp Stage 2 blower cams (similar specs to the Stage 3 NA cams, but slightly different (more) exhaust duration)

http://www.autopressreleases.com/_u...5 Ford Mustang Coyote CR Series Camshafts.pdf

Stage 2 blower cams are even a tad more aggressive than Stage 3 NA.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Haha cam specs sure real data nope. I want real results.
Get on svt performance forum and check it out. Real dyno results. Also track data. Gun is running mid 10s now with just intake cams and cobra jet.
so let me get this straight you want real results but only have specs? :lol:

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Youve done nothing but be ostentatious, thats what youve done. Fact 1, AED's tuning blew up my buddies engine (brother in law in to be exact). I was personally involved with things with that car, while it wasnt my own it didnt need to be. He had issues with how the car was running for months. Shaun wasnt able to get it running well do to his own cockiness. He ignored my suggestions on what i felt the issue was. I begged my brother to get his car retuned else where. Shaun wanted to keep blaming the car when it was his skills or lack there of. The engine paid that price and cost a lot of money to get fixed and retuned elsewhere. I most definitely have earned the right to talk about Shaun. Get over it. Fact 2, Evolution and L&M cost Badcompany an easy 50k+ in damages in his Gt500. They were proven to be fraudulent companies.
Apparently its to much to ask for people to only bitch about 1st hand experience....

then again you were the clown claiming whipple was a 200 pound boat anchor.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
It's not semantics - it's engineering...and it's not stupid.

Comp Cams founded in 1976...makes what, burgers for living? :lol:

Jon Lund:
I've made 470 to the tire on a GT350 manifold setup with Comp Stage 2 blower cams (similar specs to the Stage 3 NA cams, but slightly different (more) exhaust duration)

http://www.autopressreleases.com/_u...5 Ford Mustang Coyote CR Series Camshafts.pdf

Stage 2 blower cams are even a tad more aggressive than Stage 3 NA.
Lol nice data. I don't value his info at all. He's a hack but you may not know that since you don't have many options overseas. That also doesn't mention revving past 7500 on stage 3

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
what does overseas or not have to do with anything? nowadays the magical world wide web and shipping makes distance from a vendor irrelavent!

Also this new fangled possibility called remote tuning......

OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
what does overseas or not have to do with anything? nowadays the magical world wide web and shipping makes distance from a vendor irrelavent!

Also this new fangled possibility called remote tuning......
I've had a few shots at email tunes and prefer a real dyno tune with my local shop rev auto. Huge dif in tunes. I can show you a graph of back to back if you would like.
I love how this has turned into a bitch fest

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
OK, time to end this song...not like 1970's rock band...or you mate...

I believe if they reckon cams are NSR they are NSR. I've never said Comp is the best, never said that any other brand is worse. I just refuse to accept that Comp is selling BS...

You will go with L&M - kewl!
I will go with Comp - kewl!

Cheers!

OP
OP
09jsw

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
OK, time to end this song...not like 1970's rock band...or you mate...

I believe if they reckon cams are NSR they are NSR. I've never said Comp is the best, never said that any other brand is worse. I just refuse to accept that Comp is selling BS...

You will go with L&M - kewl!
I will go with Comp - kewl!

Cheers!
LOL thanks for ending it.
I'm just waiting for real data. You know what my goals are now as I've said I'll be spinning at almost 8000 rpm. Post up in this thread when you get them installed please.

Sponsored

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
I've had a few shots at email tunes and prefer a real dyno tune with my local shop rev auto. Huge dif in tunes. I can show you a graph of back to back if you would like.
I love how this has turned into a bitch fest
its not a bitch fest.

i expect 2 simple things

results i dont give a damn who from.

second. people to only trash others when they have FIRST HAND experience dealing with them not perpetuating heresay or slander.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
So you reckon that Comp Cams are not legit and were not tested whatsoever? Bollocks... :lol:
Talk to tuners - they did quite a few...

I've never seen L&M tests, never heard any "tuner" mentioning them yet I tend to hold my rant on them...do you work for L&M?

The L&M cams are same lift as stock with changed valve events - Comp Cams are what? :tsk:
P.S
You can't really change events in cams - you can change the duration/separation which has nothing to do with events...events are fixed in this engine...
Just to be clear you do change events when switching cams by changing the duration/ separation. You also change events with the VCT, you do not change lift or duration with the VCT. VCT changes lobe separation. Events in this engine are not fixed.

So stock cams are advertised as 263/263. Comp cams stage one intake cam is 263 just with higher lift. from there the lift is the same for all higher stage cams.

It sounds like L&M went for longer duration first instead of lift as comp did. Duration changes the valve events and holds valves open longer. Duration has a far greater effect on power increase than lift.
Quote form their website:
"The camshaft profile itself is few degrees larger in duration, but maintains the same lift as a stock GT intake camshaft. We have gained power by manipulating and adjusting valve events to their ideal locations while allowing the VCT to function as intended, no limiters or lockouts needed here." My guess is they optimized the cam for the stock VCT manipulation pattern as well giving it the "very easy to tune" claim.

L&M other racing cams for the 15+ seem to be much more aggressive than the Comp stage 3 cams and they do not require springs, but are highly recommended for peace of mind. They say it requires phaser limiters. They are close to the comp stage 2 blower cams and those do not. I think L&M may be being cautious with that limiter claim or like the intake only cam, just don't want to deal with the VCT tuning.

Getting the comp cams tuned even for people tuning their own cars will be the hardest thing IMO. Improving Drivability power is going to be more than simply enabling a mode and modifying a simple table. You will need a good understanding of the mapped point system the ECU uses.

Valve events are intake valve open(IVO)/ intake valve close(IVC)/ exhaust valve open(EVO) / exhaust valve close(EVC). VCT rotating the cams changes when these happen in the respective stroke. Longer Duration directly changes these by having valves open sooner and close later. The lobe separation also effects these as it rotates the base position of the intake lobes and exhaust lobes similar to what is done by the VCT.

It also sounds like many people confuse information for the earlier coyotes with the newer coyotes. Newer coyotes don't need springs and phaser locks as they come stock with stiffer springs and mid phase lock cam phasers. You do have the option for aftermarket springs for the newer coyotes which would probably be a good idea if you are running higher stage cams and much higher than the stock RPM limit of 6800RPMs or high boost.

I'm sure when the next generation of coyote comes out, that has been completely redone as well, there will be even more confusion and cross information between generations.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Just to be clear you do change events when switching cams by changing the duration/ separation. You also change events with the VCT, you do not change lift or duration with the VCT. VCT changes lobe separation. Events in this engine are not fixed.
So stock cams are advertised as 263/263. Comp cams stage one intake cam is 263 just with higher lift. from there the lift is the same for all higher stage cams.

It sounds like L&M went for longer duration first instead of lift as comp did. Duration changes the valve events and holds valves open longer. Duration has a far greater effect on power increase than lift.
Quote form their website:
"The camshaft profile itself is few degrees larger in duration, but maintains the same lift as a stock GT intake camshaft. We have gained power by manipulating and adjusting valve events to their ideal locations while allowing the VCT to function as intended, no limiters or lockouts needed here." My guess is they optimized the cam for the stock VCT manipulation pattern as well giving it the "very easy to tune" claim.

L&M other racing cams for the 15+ seem to be much more aggressive than the Comp stage 3 cams and they do not require springs, but are highly recommended for peace of mind. They say it requires phaser limiters. They are close to the comp stage 2 blower cams and those do not. I think L&M may be being cautious with that limiter claim or like the intake only cam, just don't want to deal with the VCT tuning.
Just to be clear - "Event" in my dictionary is strictly related to firing order - event means where the lobe peak is located in firing order and this is fixed and not adjustable.
You can move "all events" in time as you can modify the VCT but you can't change the "single event" occurrence as you can't change the firing order.
If you want to control the event you need to be able to control the lift - this is called "variable valve event" not "variable valve timing".
You can check the BMW or Nissan for example.

It they wold have changed the "events" the engine would misfire like crazy because it would not match the "crank events".

Now this is semantics :)

Getting the comp cams tuned even for people tuning their own cars will be the hardest thing IMO. Improving Drivability power is going to be more than simply enabling a mode and modifying a simple table. You will need a good understanding of the mapped point system the ECU uses.
I have my own HPT but I don't know this engine that good yet - that's why I will pay for the tune. Lund does a decent job.

It also sounds like many people confuse information for the earlier coyotes with the newer coyotes. Newer coyotes don't need springs and phaser locks as they come stock with stiffer springs and mid phase lock cam phasers. You do have the option for aftermarket springs for the newer coyotes which would probably be a good idea if you are running higher stage cams and much higher than the stock RPM limit of 6800RPMs or high boost.
True - said that few posts before. I would say that you are safe up tom 7500 rpm. I've seen people spinning them over 8000 without any problems.
Also, I've seen Boss frequently spun over 8000 without any issues. Springs and rotating assy. will be just fine - just don't forget to upgrade the OPG/CS.

But we can both agree that you really don't need to change the springs with NA Comp cams. You can but for what?

P.S.
RPM limit is set at 7000 for +2015 coyotes, 7500 for Ford's performance power pack 3. 7750 in my case. I think I will drop mine to 7500 as
the engine is not making any usable power over 7300 however this could change with the new cams - time will tell.

Last edited:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Just to be clear - "Event" in my dictionary is strictly related to firing order - event means where the lobe peak is located in firing order and this is fixed and not adjustable.
You can move "all events" in time as you can modify the VCT but you can't change the "single event" occurrence as you can't change the firing order.
If you want to control the event you need to be able to control the lift - this is called "variable valve event" not "variable valve timing".
You can check the BMW or Nissan for example.

It they wold have changed the "events" the engine would misfire like crazy because it would not match the "crank events".

Now this is semantics :)
P.S.
RPM limit is set at 7000 for +2015 coyotes, 7500 for Ford's performance power pack 3. 7750 in my case. I think I will drop mine to 7500 as
the engine is not making any usable power over 7300 however this could change with the new cams - time will tell.
I understand what you are saying by you would need to change the firing order to change when the over all valve event happens. You are incorrect thinking that by controlling lift you change firing order and valve event as you have defined as even BMW and nissan do not change firing order. Stop thinking of event as a whole and start thinking like everyone else who thinks of an event as being one of four things IVO, IVC, EVO, EVC and where they happen in relation to the crank. Lobe ramp rate, lift, separation angle, Ect. will make a lot more sense to you if you do.

The autos RPM limit is 6800 the manuals are 7000.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
I complete agree, comp seems to be a pile of shit. They tell one guy he's ok with stock springs and tell another he needs springs if he plans to rev higher with them. Zero real info other than tuners talking about valve float with the cams in data logging
who has said there has been valve float? Links?
Sponsored