Sponsored

Bullitt S550 Mustang Leaked in Video?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Well I know what I am waiting for! Wonder when/if we get an official announcement?
Sponsored

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
Yes I realize the bullitt is known for the stripped oook. I guess when it was coupled with only 5 more hp and to me mostly unquantifiable "upgrades" I found it underwhelming. Remember this was the time when the Camaro had way more power and had for a decade so I was like wtf when they announced this special mustang that really wasn't any faster than the GT which was already a dog compared to the comp, just my opinion.
The upgrades were Cobra brakes, unique Tokico shocks, 3/4" lower springs, unique fresh air intake, Ford Performance intake manifold and unique engine calibration. It was conservatively rated at 265 HP due to the '99 Mustang Cobra HP controversy. Regarding the Camaro.....it didn't really matter in the long run....GM cancelled the Camaro after the 2002 MY. No one was buying the Camaro...sort of what is happening with their Gen6. At the time, the whole purpose of the '01 Bullitt was to generate showroom traffic for a platform that was running on its 8th year of production. Same logic for the '03/'04 Mach 1.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Yes I realize the bullitt is known for the stripped oook. I guess when it was coupled with only 5 more hp and to me mostly unquantifiable "upgrades" I found it underwhelming. Remember this was the time when the Camaro had way more power and had for a decade so I was like wtf when they announced this special mustang that really wasn't any faster than the GT which was already a dog compared to the comp, just my opinion.
In that context, I understand the reaction. More power is fun, but that car was a bit measurably sharper than the GT. I found it fun to drive as an all-around package. Of course, we're way above that horsepower level these days :-)

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
OK, I admit that I am becoming a bit obsessed with all these secret messages Ford is giving us. If the licenses plate says 542, and its a reference to HP, I think we are in for a ecoboost V6 in the Mustang. The GT350 Voodoo engine was reportedly meant to be exclusive to the GT350 Mustang and I think this rules out the FPC 5.2 engine being in the Bullitt Mustang. A 5.0 CPC will not make 542 HP NA or boosted. Therefore, a detuned version of the EB 3.5 from the Ford GT is the next best bet to hit the 542 HP mark. Ford has been trying to get its customers to sway from the V8 mentality, this might be there next attempt to get Ford loyalists to accept something smaller that the iconic V8.
A Bullitt Mustang will NEVER have something other than a V8. Ever.

Sponsored

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I hope you are right. After the RS and GT350 sticker shock, I really hope these dealerships give that crap a rest.
Until the government tells them they cannot, they will do it every chance they get, forever. My buddy is a dealer and he says "we're here to make money, not make friends..."

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok it must be the 01 I'm thinking of then, which had the stock 260 hp of the GT or maybe it was 265. I remember at the time being disappointed they stripped away most of the GT visual elements, threw on the wheels, painted it green and called it a day.
The 01 had a few hp more than the GT, and yes, stripping away all of the flare and being green is the ethos of Bullitt. It's all about flying under the radar.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have a question for previous owners of Bullitt Mustangs. Could you custom order a Bullitt Mustang and add options ? I was under the impression Ford did a run of a thousand or so Bullitt Mustangs and shipped them to dealers who wanted to sell one. As I understood it, the only option offered was the color of black.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a question for previous owners of Bullitt Mustangs. Could you custom order a Bullitt Mustang and add options ? I was under the impression Ford did a run of a thousand or so Bullitt Mustangs and shipped them to dealers who wanted to sell one. As I understood it, the only option offered was the color of black.
Both the '01s and the '08/'09s had options, and yes, they could be ordered. The '01s came in Dark Highland Green, Black, and True Blue; the '08/'09s in Highland Green Metallic and Black. Options on both included a stereo upgrade, while the '08/'09s had HIDs and interior ambient lighting. There were over 5600 of the '01s made and 6600 of the '08/'09s. Just like other feature Mustangs, the dealership has to have an allocation to order them.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Thanks for the great information. It is nice to know that options could be added to the Bullitt Mustangs. The only optional rear gear for a 2007 Mustang GT was 3.55. It was really great to see the 2008 Bullitt Mustang had a 3.73 rear gear. If I had known I could get a 2008 Bullitt in black with a 3.73 gear, I would have waited a year instead of buying a black Mustang GT with only a 3.55 gear.

Sponsored

xjester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem w/PP
Ford has tried to limit the mark ups but have sucked at the effort. And it will be a critical error if they are not careful. I'm not sure if you've taken a look lately, but finding a brand new GT350 or RS is not hard. They are plentiful here in the Chicago area with GT350's ranging into the 70K range. 70k for a Mustang!! And 55K for the RS! As awesome as those cars are, even if I had the money, hell no. Here are but a few examples -

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690671017/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690764388/overview/

When a buyer realizes they are paying, on average, 47K+ for a Focus (WTF!!) or 65K+ for a Mustang (still WTF!!), it triggers a moment of clarity (...for that money, I could get an AMG/M3/Corvette) and they walk away. A HUGE element of awesome for those cars are the bang for buck. Amazing performance that quite a few can afford. Dealers are wiping that away and making a Focus compete with M3's and AMG's. And Ford, stupidly, can seem to be bothered with this, outside of a few memos. That is not good for ANYONE. Remember, Ford has announced something like 22 new performance vehicles by 2022. How does that work out if there is a massive paywall to get through and no one wants them? Clearly, it doesn't.

If a Bullitt goes behind that massive paywall with a significant mark-up, Ford will be 3 for 3 with specials being priced out of their segment. The next one, I fear, will not be met with the same level of enthusiasm. Eventually this will lead to them getting killed off entirely. No one, here at least, wants that.

/rant off

Apologies, back to the thread.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
I hope designing a Bullitt mustang does not affect development of a Mach1 in any sort of way. I'd rather have a Mach1 rather than a Bullitt. I just don't get the "Bullitt" mustangs. They are the same as if Ford decided to make "Eleanor" edition mustangs... which I hope they never do.

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I hope designing a Bullitt mustang does not affect development of a Mach1 in any sort of way. I'd rather have a Mach1 rather than a Bullitt. I just don't get the "Bullitt" mustangs. They are the same as if Ford decided to make "Eleanor" edition mustangs... which I hope they never do.
It's all about the historical timeline. 1968 was Bullitt. Mach 1 came in 1969. It only makes sense for a Mach 1 to be a 2019 and 2020 model year car.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was really great to see the 2008 Bullitt Mustang had a 3.73 rear gear. If I had known I could get a 2008 Bullitt in black with a 3.73 gear, I would have waited a year instead of buying a black Mustang GT with only a 3.55 gear.
The 3.73 was standard on the '08/'09 Bullitt. Color, of course, was one of the options.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a Bullitt goes behind that massive paywall with a significant mark-up, Ford will be 3 for 3 with specials being priced out of their segment. The next one, I fear, will not be met with the same level of enthusiasm. Eventually this will lead to them getting killed off entirely. No one, here at least, wants that.
Assuming we get this Bullitt, this would be a third run of this car. That is counter to them or other special vehicles being killed off because of pricing. It's a bit early to assume you would see similar to the GT350 or RS. They are further removed from the base cars, which is different than the past Bullitts were.

I don't appreciate the markups that you mention, but eventually, they usually come down. The GT350s as of late can be more readily found at sticker. Those markups kept me out of that market, but the demand for that car has led to 3 model years of production. Now, with a new Bullitt seemingly here, I am glad it did :-)
Sponsored