Sponsored

Found a case of a failed recalled oil line

Rbrnck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I found out today that they are not the official revised lines. I will have to take the car back once ford releases the updated lines and have them changed again. The upside is I get my car back lol.

I finally got my car back from the dealer as well and all they did was install a new line and a new oil cooler but told me I would need to keep an eye on it and I would have to take the car back in once ford releases the updated lines. I'm happy to have it back as well but worry I'll have another line go when I'm driving. I got lucky last time and caught it before it completely dropped all the oil but hope this holds till the fix is in.
Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Anyone with a 2017 that is not part of the recall have pics of their lines? I would assume they are the same and will still fall under the recall at some point.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
It is almost 99.999% that you received the new updated lines.
Do not have time for a detailed explaination but some of you guys gotta start going beyond 'your world view". It is a big world out there.

Ford is doing the recall of cars on a set list-that list is known. Cars have been identified, there are computer systems to activate to report on and track all those cars (tons of legal notice requirements). Once there is a supply of 'correct' parts the recall begins. And yeah it takes time to get the parts..what you think they just Amazon Prime over the new parts. Little Joe hose maker had a contract for 7000 parts per year now that same maker has to make current parts and an entire set of replacement parts...where do they get the machines, workers etc (yeah they are gonna invest $100,000 in new machines and production space for a one time extra run-not gonna happen)...it takes time and you better be sure if Ford is calling on other vendor/suppliers they are doubling down on quality inspections making sure the lines are built/crimped correctly.

Back to this point--Ford is using the new lines on this car but what are they to do--put a stickie note on "Bob's" computer to remind them that it was done so when the recall rolls out so they remember to mark this GT350 has been having been updated. Not gonna happen.

Ford has to report, track, give notice etc on ALL the recalled cars they initially identified,...they are not gonna make an exception-there is simply no way to properly track the new lines as to this individual car in relation to the recall before the recall even rolls out. The recall list is set with known vins, Ford will have to report on the work done (aka keep records and documentation in their system)--it would create huge issues trying to list a recall date of X for a specific car but showing a recalled completed date that predates the recall. So they fix it now and then when the recall properly rolls out it will be replaced a second time during the appropriate recall process so all the proper reporting can be done.

Many will scream waste of time but in reality it is a lot easier, quicker, cheaper for Ford then trying to create some one off 'exception' in their computer system as to the current recall list for an pre-recall recall.....

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Do not have time for a detailed explaination but some of you guys gotta start going beyond 'your world view". It is a big world out there.

Ford is doing the recall of cars on a set list-that list is known. Cars have been identified, there are computer systems to activate to report on and track all those cars (tons of legal notice requirements). Once there is a supply of 'correct' parts the recall begins. And yeah it takes time to get the parts..what you think they just Amazon Prime over the new parts. Little Joe hose maker had a contract for 7000 parts per year now that same maker has to make current parts and an entire set of replacement parts...where do they get the machines, workers etc (yeah they are gonna invest $100,000 in new machines and production space for a one time extra run-not gonna happen)...it takes time and you better be sure if Ford is calling on other vendor/suppliers they are doubling down on quality inspections making sure the lines are built/crimped correctly.

Back to this point--Ford is using the new lines on this car but what are they to do--put a stickie note on "Bob's" computer to remind them that it was done so when the recall rolls out so they remember to mark this GT350 has been having been updated. Not gonna happen.

Ford has to report, track, give notice etc on ALL the recalled cars they initially identified,...they are not gonna make an exception-there is simply no way to properly track the new lines as to this individual car in relation to the recall before the recall even rolls out. The recall list is set with known vins, Ford will have to report on the work done (aka keep records and documentation in their system)--it would create huge issues trying to list a recall date of X for a specific car but showing a recalled completed date that predates the recall. So they fix it now and then when the recall properly rolls out it will be replaced a second time during the appropriate recall process so all the proper reporting can be done.

Many will scream waste of time but in reality it is a lot easier, quicker, cheaper for Ford then trying to create some one off 'exception' in their computer system as to the current recall list for an pre-recall recall.....
That's all just fine and dandy but I think what many are upset about (me included) is that Ford has produced cars with the fixed lines after the recall was issued. I'm sure you have an explanation for that, too, but honestly, I don't care. I find it unacceptable.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

I know how manufacturing works. I also know how to run a business. I've been a business owner for nearly 20 years now. I also know what customer service is. Fords customer service sucks! As a business owner, I know to take care of past and current owners before I do future customers. I also know to take care of current issues before they become bigger unsafe issues. Case in point the oil cooler lines. Let me explain.
1) 8000 owners received a notice.
2) 8000 possible reasons to fix what's out there before it gets worse. If a hose blows out without warning, guarantee an engine failure. Possibly wreck, possibly worse.
3) I know 8000 hoses are not going to blow. I know it could be less than 10-20 vehicles. But that's still enough. Ford motor co is not personally replacing these hoses. The dealers are. I've worked in manufacturing for many years, a company the size of ford doesn't take rocket science to get the vendor to produce more parts. Some of you think that these hoses / lines are made by a mom and pop business. I can assure you they are not. No mom and pop business in the home shop is QS / Job1 rated.
4) you do not continue building more vehicles (GT350/R) using up the supply of the new revised part until the ones that are already sold and fixed. That's stupid business right there. They stop production of R's supposedly because of pilot sport cup 2 tires, they can also stop production and fix what's already out on the streets! Why would any business take the chance of more damage or life over a fking stupid set of oil lines that cost them nothing.
You fix what's damaged and has the possibility of costing you more damage before you continue building more. Or you ramp up production "RED" meaning it's hot and must be done now. It's very lame of ford or any manufacturer to send some letter saying "mid 1/4 of 2017"
It's been 3 months since I received my notice and yet still no new lines available.

BULLSHIT

What makes it even better, ford and ford performance said that dealers "do not sell, drive, run, test drive, any GT350/R in your inventory "
UNTIL THE HOSE FIX

But ford sends a letter and no where does it say to stop driving, running or using your car"
Yet ford performance told me " I can't tell you to stop driving it or not"
Assholes.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
4) you do not continue building more vehicles (GT350/R) using up the supply of the new revised part until the ones that are already sold and fixed. That's stupid business right there. They stop production of R's supposedly because of pilot sport cup 2 tires, they can also stop production and fix what's already out on the streets! Why would any business take the chance of more damage or life over a fking stupid set of oil lines that cost them nothing.
I'm betting Ford decided to keep producing the GT350 knowing the hoses were suspect and needing to be replaced because stopping production is going to cost them way more then sending them off to the dealer with a "do not sell until TSB is completed" stipulation. Ford wins, the dealers and customer don't with respect to new GT350s sitting on the lots. Most dealers have insane ADM, and they probably won't sell the dust collectors by the the time the new hoses show up anyway. :D

What makes it even better, ford and ford performance said that dealers "do not sell, drive, run, test drive, any GT350/R in your inventory "
UNTIL THE HOSE FIX

But ford sends a letter and no where does it say to stop driving, running or using your car"
Yet ford performance told me " I can't tell you to stop driving it or not"
Assholes.
I think it's a liability issue. If Ford allowed dealers to sell cars knowing there was a safety defect then they are opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit - Federal laws against doing such a thing (Ford sent letters to dealers saying it was a $21,000 fine). On the other hand, I doubt they can demand everyone who currently owns a suspect GT350 to stop driving it. They sent out the recall letter and now it's up to the owners to decide if they want to risk driving the car or not. Just like the airbag fiasco ... people have been killed by defective airbags, yet not one auto maker has told any owners to stop driving their cars.

Since Ford seems to be dragging their feet on getting good replacement hoses, it seems Ford doesn't think it's as serious as it seems, or else they are just taking risk that nobody gets hurt and files a lawsuit.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'm betting Ford decided to keep producing the GT350 knowing the hoses were suspect and needing to be replaced because stopping production is going to cost them way more then sending them off to the dealer with a "do not sell until TSB is completed" stipulation. Ford wins, the dealers and customer don't with respect to new GT350s sitting on the lots. Most dealers have insane ADM, and they probably won't sell the dust collectors by the the time the new hoses show up anyway. :D

I think it's a liability issue. If Ford allowed dealers to sell cars knowing there was a safety defect then they are opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit - Federal laws against doing such a thing (Ford sent letters to dealers saying it was a $21,000 fine). On the other hand, I doubt they can demand everyone who currently owns a suspect GT350 to stop driving it. They sent out the recall letter and now it's up to the owners to decide if they want to risk driving the car or not. Just like the airbag fiasco ... people have been killed by defective airbags, yet not one auto maker has told any owners to stop driving their cars.

Since Ford seems to be dragging their feet on getting good replacement hoses, it seems Ford doesn't think it's as serious as it seems, or else they are just taking risk that nobody gets hurt and files a lawsuit.
The whole idea is a liability!
If they tell a dealer not to sell the car, that to me says do not drive your car. I don't know about you, but when I ordered my gt350 in July of 2015, it took almost 6 months to take delivery. I could give two shits about how long others wait. I'd rather know that if I placed an order today that my new car is safe to drive and has the new hoses. And if that means to wait so be it. They should fix what ever cars are out on the roads now before producing more. If for example, my cars oil hose blows off and I lose control of my car and cause serious damage to myself or others do you not think a lawsuit is in the books? Every lawyer would be blowing up my phone.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If for example, my cars oil hose blows off and I lose control of my car and cause serious damage to myself or others do you not think a lawsuit is in the books? Every lawyer would be blowing up my phone.
Of course there would probably be a lawsuit. But on the other hand, even if Ford told everyone to park their cars and someone still took it out and got hurt due to the hose defect, they would still try to sue Ford. So regardless, Ford is taking risk of a lawsuit with cars currently on the road. Just like every defective airbag is a potential shrapnel bomb waiting to go off - yet millions of those owners haven't been told to stop driving their cars.

Like I said before, apparently Ford isn't too concerned about possible injury & lawsuits or they would have had new updated hose by now, or sooner. Or else they have deep pockets of lawsuit money set aside for the few lawsuits that might materialize.

Only cars that don't pose a liability to Ford are the ones not yet sold because they are frozen from being sold due to Federal Law. If someone's GT350 is sitting at Ford or sitting at the dealership waiting for new hoses before being sold, it's pretty much the same wait period, and maybe even a less waiting period if the car has already been made and sitting at the dealership because Ford didn't have to upset their whole production schedule at the plant.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
[MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] we've already have discussed and beat a dead horse of your concern and my not so much of a concern of this oil line safety issues. I will ask, do you know the supplier of these oil lines? The idea that Ford doesn't use "mom and Pop" vendors would be false. I guess depending on your definition of mom and pop. My company I consider a mom and pop operation. We have currently 30 full time employees, do you consider that mom and pop? Yet we do work for some of the largest companies in country, example, Boeing aerospace, Rolls-Royce aerospace, General Electric aerospace, Zimmer/Biomet medical, Johnson and Johnson medical just to name a few. If a problem arose such as this oil line and it has with these companies. We cannot just double production to resolve so said problems and continue normal production for said company and continue to meet other obligations to other companies that we serve.We don't have that kind of work force, nor would we hire just to lay off a month later. Ford can't just go out and find another vendor as this process takes in some cases months to get certified and all operations verified by Ford. It took almost 8 months to be verified by some of our aerospace customers.
Also if you designate all updated lines to recall vehicles, the 350 would shut down that production. I'm not sure what the numbers would be but I'm sure there is a % of workers dedicated the the 350 production, probably a low % but I'm sure they're there. Would you tell them they have no job till this is resolved?
I'm sure you watched " A faster Horse "? As they get ready to go down to assembly and it's shut down because, in the documentary weather but he goes on to say if they get shorted even 1 bolt or fastener they have to shut down. And I also remember towards the end where one guy explains how Ford has had to help vendors basically financially to continue a smooth flow of parts. Be patient Ford will get this taken care of .
Another just quick question [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION], I see your build on your 350. Very impressive I will say. Why not just fix the line yourself? There is a thread of guys that have done it. I also assume looking at your build that you are more than capable of it. I also might just do that repair myself as just piece of mind.

Last edited:

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Are there any aftermarket coolers for the 350?

Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Are there any aftermarket coolers for the 350?
I do not know how to cut and past a thread, but some of our very skilled members have detailed how to fix the fitting in question. So no aftermarket cooler is needed. Just some fittings and some know how.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not know how to cut and past a thread, but some of our very skilled members have detailed how to fix the fitting in question. So no aftermarket cooler is needed. Just some fittings and some know how.
Just go to the thread you're talking about, then copy the address that's shown in the red rectangle (example below), then just paste that address into your post.
Capture-1.JPG

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] we've already have discussed and beat a dead horse of your concern and my not so much of a concern of this oil line safety issues. I will ask, do you know the supplier of these oil lines? The idea that Ford doesn't use "mom and Pop" vendors would be false. I guess depending on your definition of mom and pop. My company I consider a mom and pop operation. We have currently 30 full time employees, do you consider that mom and pop? Yet we do work for some of the largest companies in country, example, Boeing aerospace, Rolls-Royce aerospace, General Electric aerospace, Zimmer/Biomet medical, Johnson and Johnson medical just to name a few. If a problem arose such as this oil line and it has with these companies. We cannot just double production to resolve so said problems and continue normal production for said company and continue to meet other obligations to other companies that we serve.We don't have that kind of work force, nor would we hire just to lay off a month later. Ford can't just go out and find another vendor as this process takes in some cases months to get certified and all operations verified by Ford. It took almost 8 months to be verified by some of our aerospace customers.
Also if you designate all updated lines to recall vehicles, the 350 would shut down that production. I'm not sure what the numbers would be but I'm sure there is a % of workers dedicated the the 350 production, probably a low % but I'm sure they're there. Would you tell them they have no job till this is resolved?
I'm sure you watched " A faster Horse "? As they get ready to go down to assembly and it's shut down because, in the documentary weather but he goes on to say if they get shorted even 1 bolt or fastener they have to shut down. And I also remember towards the end where one guy explains how Ford has had to help vendors basically financially to continue a smooth flow of parts. Be patient Ford will get this taken care of .
Another just quick question [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION], I see your build on your 350. Very impressive I will say. Why not just fix the line yourself? There is a thread of guys that have done it. I also assume looking at your build that you are more than capable of it. I also might just do that repair myself as just piece of mind.
Of course I can address my own oil lines. I'm also not going to take my car back to the dealer as I will do it myself like I do with all and any repairs. This isn't about my personal car. This is about the 8000 that are affected and fords way of handling it. You and I do not agree and that is fine. Like I said, they are oil lines, not a unicorn. Their are many suppliers that are capable of making and meeting requirements. Where I used to work we made exhaust pipes, mufflers, oil lines, fuel lines, exhaust stacks, exhaust hangers, flanges, brackets, etc. pretty much anything tube related. We made products for Volvo, Freightliner, international, ford, GM, John Deere, Chrysler, plus many other non automotive industries such as whirlpool, ao smith, the oil industry for off shore oil production etc.
many times we made very small one off parts and low production items for all the above. So yes it can be done.
By small orders I mean from 1-5 and up to 1000s
Mom and pop shops are typically small businesses such as my own and my family's tool and die and body shop. Less than 10 employees in my opinion.
Not to mention these failed oil lines are probably made in Mexico.

My old employer
http://www.rikerprod.com/

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
If production of the '17 GT350s has been suspended AND there are '17s out there with the updated oil lines; wouldn't that mean whoever is producing them wouldn't be in an excess capacity production mode for replacing our lines and could just keep manufacturing as if production of the GT350 was not suspended?

Last edited:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I'm not sure if this is the manufacturer of the hoses, or perhaps the fittings, but the fittings shown have a TCH logo stamped on them. There is a company called Twin City Hose that makes these types of products.

Also, they appear to be made in Mexico.
IMG_2166.jpg
IMG_2165.jpg
Sponsored