Sponsored

Have a question? Want the correct answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
Bad gas? or definitely not 91 Octane... I had this happen at my last dyno day got a bad batch of fuel that definitely was not near 93 octane.
Well it "should" be 91 octane, I buy from the same top tier station religiously and live in SoCal so we shouldn't be seeing winter vs. summer gas. Bad batch, maybe but issue is on going and I can literally make the OAR drop at crusing speed by bumping the throttle from 1500-1700 to 2300-2400 and letting off before accel actually kicks in.
Sponsored

DansEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP Mustang
Have an early Jan 2015 build, want to rebuild engine before anything goes wrong, can I rebuild stock block, or is an aftermarket block stronger ? I do not track the car, so I don't need anything crazy, also does building the block cause any issue with emissions testing in California, and do o need to modify any other components when block is built.

OP
OP
Tune+

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
If changing the DP and catback yield minimal results for the stock turbo, why is the downpipe one of the most highly recommended power mods. Everything i read is/was people saying change the DP because the cat is too restrictive. As i've told you, E85 is not an option for me in NJ. Why should/shouldnt i change the dp then?
If you are looking for every ounce of power out of the stock turbo definitely do a downpipe and catback. When I say minimal gains we are looking at 10hp max on a pump gas car, and a little more with race gas. For the people looking for a little more power without too much noise they can retain the stock downpipe and not be limited too much.

well i have one. car runs fine and feels strong. had to remove the upr catch cans cause they were causing idle problems and throwing codes all over the place.
recently I had my plugs changed and the ones they pulled had some oil on them. reasons? solutions?
Because you don't have a catch can more than likely. When I pull an intake manifold off a Ecoboost that doesn't have a catch can it actually has a stream of oil coming out of it. I would recommend picking up our breather/catch can on the website, they will be back in stock next week.

ECOBOOST
*Cold outside temp/warm car.
*WOT in third or fourth.
*Car is pulling good & strong...
*Accel curve climbs steadily until around 6K (RPM is not critical to the story, but nowhere near redline)
*Accel curve suddenly flatlines and hear a series of popping/farting noises (power falls right off)
*Staying on the throttle sees the speed dropping off and the RPM plateau'd; it's just like the rev limiter is kicking in, but it shouldn't be since the RPM is well under the threshold

Theory:
Waste gate is not able to contain boost pressure and is 'burping' exhaust gas past the flapper. Think of trying to stop a big man from forcing the cabin door open whilst you are leaning against it on the inside; he gains an inch or two...you slam it...he forces it open an inch or two again...you slam it again etc. etc.

Possible causes:
Excessive boost pressure
Weak/improperly set waste gate tension
Improperly configured rev limiter setting
Knocking/detonation as a result of lower-than-expected-octane fuel

Thoughts?
You are nearing the throttle limiter, if you are in the throttle and there is no continued acceleration that means you are at the throttle limiter which starts in around 6400rpms and keeps you from hitting the hard limiter which is fuel cut.

What is the latest scoop on the early 2015 Ecoboost Mustangs weaker than the Cleveland made? My 2015 Mustang Ecoboost was made on January 2015. I am afraid to tune it as these seem to be the ones blowing up! OR is it because tuners/modifiers were just learning at that time? Didn't a similar thing happen with the first 5.0's? I am familiar with turbo engines as I ran 1984 Monte CarloSS that I swapped a Grand National turbo V6 into. It ran near 11 flat and I ran it for years until a head gasket finally let go. I am not drag racing anymore so I just want a more responsive car that doesn't fall flat on it face after 5000 rpm. Thanks!
Early engine tend to be the problem child even for stock tuned vehicles. The majority of the failures out there are early 2015 builds (Pre May/June 2015). I have only seen one, non-customer fault engine failure on a newer engine and that was on a competing tune and they told them it was because he ran race gas. Not sure of the actual fault but it was a new engine, and it wasn't a mistake on the customers end like not putting in oil after an oil change, or putting in the wrong spark plugs.

While driving to/from work - 30 miles one-way, I had the A/P connected and observed random knock and more alarmingly my OAR dropping from -1.00 to literally 0 by the time I got home. Should either of these be a concern? I have not kept the A/P connected and monitoring in the past.

As you can see during the 45-60 min drive to work, I didn't exceed 5.56 psi of boost, yet had a knock count of 10.
That evening, while hitting 13 psi at some point, knock is lower but OAR is almost 0. This is on 91 Octane
When you are cruising around the engine is rocking back and forth a large amount. This can cause the knock sensors to pick up noise and think that it is knocking when it is just engine movement. DI cars like to ping a lot at low engine speeds, pre-ignition. It isn't that huge of a deal, but with a tune if a customer is concerned we can always make adjustments to pull some timing out at lower RPM. Will be a little more "doggy" but will keep their mind at ease.

Do I need to get a "winter" tune from you? I bought your one time tune back in September and it's way colder in Dallas now. I ask this because another ecoboom happened in Dallas and the owner recommended to update tunes according to the seasons.
Yes and no, a lot of the southern states don't usually change the fuel blend during the winter, but I have been surprised before. It is best practice to keep an eye on boost and ignition corrections during the colder months to make sure you aren't getting any heavy corrections or high boost. I limit boost but if something is wrong with the car it can overpower the throttle and force it open because the electronic motor in the throttle body isn't strong enough to overcome high boost. I always tell my customers they can send me a log at anytime during winter/summer to make sure everything is ok. Open Email policy ;).

Does having the UPR dual valve catch can good enough to protect from carbon build up? I do regular driving with spirited driving and next year would like to start doing autox.
As mentioned, nothing is going to prevent carbon build up. However, a catch can like the UPR, or our TUNE+ Breather/Catch can kit will reduce the build up and delay the inevitable of needing the valves walnut blasted.

Do these change the exhaust note any? I had Crower cams on my '97 GT and it was an absolutely sick sounding exhaust.

I read the FRPP cams add almost no HP and don't change the sound any.
They do not, the FRPP cams are worthless 100%. If you want a real set of cams, we sell the Esslinger Stage 2 camshafts.

Yup I have seen both of these on both websites before lol. I actually bought my dual catch can from Adams website.
Maybe you might know because just looking at Adams kit kinda confuses me. I see the breather now has two ports (I'm guessing that pressure comes from one port into the catch can captures those oils and gunk in the catch can then the clean air is vented back into the crankcase through the second port) if that's the case then what happens to the spot at the intake manifold that the line from the original breather use to connect to?
Pressure comes in from the replacement breather plate that we include in our kit. Both send crankcase pressure to the can and it is collected there, and the remaining pressure escapes through the top filter. The intake manifold gets a vacuum cap on the 90° connector from the factory hose.

Have an early Jan 2015 build, want to rebuild engine before anything goes wrong, can I rebuild stock block, or is an aftermarket block stronger ? I do not track the car, so I don't need anything crazy, also does building the block cause any issue with emissions testing in California, and do o need to modify any other components when block is built.
There are no aftermarket blocks, we just upgrade the factory block with sleeves or CSS. We have complete engines available:

https://adamtuned.com/collections/2...engine-for-2015-ecoboost-mustang-and-focus-rs

OP
OP
Tune+

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Apologize for not replying sooner, I don't get much time on the forums anymore. We are completely slammed with tunes and we want to hold true to our 24-48 hour turn around promise. So far we are keeping it to under 24hrs but we add new customers daily!

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Adam - thanks for taking the time. FWIW, I will happily exchange speed for dependability when it comes to a response to my question(s)

:thumbsup:

So - the throttle limiter you suggested was my issue...

As I said - it feels EXACTLY like that is what was going on. No frightening noises, no smoke, no bucking or audible detonation - just a feeling of having reached a plateau. But doesn't the "typical" e-mailed tune eliminate that feature/function? I guess I need to take a closer look at the list of parameters in my programmer next time!

Maybe it's a speed limiter that is eliminated with a tune(?) Could that be it? I might have the two mixed up.

* * Update * *
Twice in the last cuppla days I have re-created the same conditions as before, and there was no anomalous performance. Both times I wound it up to 6800 or so in third gear, and it was fine. I guess it was indeed inferior octane fuel in reference to the loaded map. (It's worth noting that -- the day after the second time I spoke about, I uploaded the 87OC-PERF map that I had thought was in there.)

So...AFAIC, all is well.
Many thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
Hey Adam. Thanks for the replies back.
I have a July 2014 build engine. Would you say that these engines are okay to be tuned (Would like to have you as a tuner).
I hear things about this Spain engine and I would like you expertise and opinion on tuning these Spain engines.
Are up to par and can the handle the added power? do you pull timing from them so even though the produce less power they will be more reliable?
Looking forward to hearing back from you.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Now that it is winter In Nj I noticed when I do full throttle pulls the car corrects to 2.5ish. It is set to 3.00 ignition correction. Everything still runs great and looks great when logging just wondering why this happens. Definitely weather related and I don't even think it's a bad thing st all just curious what is happening.

Zdaughtry1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost
Adam, so I recently installed a 3" Catless stainless works Turboback system on our ecoboost and immediately learned about the horrible smoking issue these cars have. Fortunately I found your very informative video on gutting the PCV, which i did after installing a UPR DVCC. I'm still experiencing the same huge clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust at idle. Is this possibly because I'm not tuned yet? I'm running defoulers to alleviate the CEL until I go ahead and Get it tuned. Is there anything I can do to fix this in the meantime?

I also did the PCV delete 2 days ago and have only put about 80 miles on it since then, should I wait longer for the smoke issue to clear up? And would it help if I ran 93 octane fuel?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
I personally wouldn't run anything below 93 if you have it. The car runs so much better with it, especially if you are in an area that has a winter blend.

TJP719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium AT
Is it considered almost necessary to upgrade the factory block if you want to swap out the stock turbo for a bigger one? Considering my budget and the fact that I'd certainly have to upgrade the suspension to support that kind of power, it may not be ideal.

I don't want to set myself up for total failure down the road either. It's going to be a little while before I do anything anyway, just curious. Have about 26k miles and have been Adam tuned (back in the MAPerformance days) with zero issues. Adam I actually have yet to install the single tune file I purchased when you started up Tune+, lol. Life has gotten in the way but I'm getting back into the swing of things...

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Is it considered almost necessary to upgrade the factory block if you want to swap out the stock turbo for a bigger one? Considering my budget and the fact that I'd certainly have to upgrade the suspension to support that kind of power, it may not be ideal.
If you have an early build, I def. would if you want to go big turbo.

TJP719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium AT
If you have an early build, I def. would if you want to go big turbo.
Based on what I've read, that seems to be the case. I guess the question then becomes, is there a turbo upgrade for someone who doesn't want to touch the block? And if so, is it even worth it?

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Where are you opening this shop you speak of at?

OP
OP
Tune+

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Adam - thanks for taking the time. FWIW, I will happily exchange speed for dependability when it comes to a response to my question(s)

:thumbsup:

So - the throttle limiter you suggested was my issue...

As I said - it feels EXACTLY like that is what was going on. No frightening noises, no smoke, no bucking or audible detonation - just a feeling of having reached a plateau. But doesn't the "typical" e-mailed tune eliminate that feature/function? I guess I need to take a closer look at the list of parameters in my programmer next time!

Maybe it's a speed limiter that is eliminated with a tune(?) Could that be it? I might have the two mixed up.

* * Update * *
Twice in the last cuppla days I have re-created the same conditions as before, and there was no anomalous performance. Both times I wound it up to 6800 or so in third gear, and it was fine. I guess it was indeed inferior octane fuel in reference to the loaded map. (It's worth noting that -- the day after the second time I spoke about, I uploaded the 87OC-PERF map that I had thought was in there.)

So...AFAIC, all is well.
Many thanks!
Glad you got it sorted. I would never put 87oct in these cars, and definitely wouldn't load anything on the car that has 87oct and "performance" in the title lol.

Hey Adam. Thanks for the replies back.
I have a July 2014 build engine. Would you say that these engines are okay to be tuned (Would like to have you as a tuner).
I hear things about this Spain engine and I would like you expertise and opinion on tuning these Spain engines.
Are up to par and can the handle the added power? do you pull timing from them so even though the produce less power they will be more reliable?
Looking forward to hearing back from you.
It is just that documented issues with engines have been the earlier models and Ford is on their 4th part number for these blocks. Making changes everytime.

I wouldn't be afraid to tune it, I have hundreds of customers with early engine builds and no issues.

Now that it is winter In Nj I noticed when I do full throttle pulls the car corrects to 2.5ish. It is set to 3.00 ignition correction. Everything still runs great and looks great when logging just wondering why this happens. Definitely weather related and I don't even think it's a bad thing st all just curious what is happening.
Corrects to 2.5? Did you mean it goes positive 2.5? That is normal, you don't want negative corrections.

Adam, so I recently installed a 3" Catless stainless works Turboback system on our ecoboost and immediately learned about the horrible smoking issue these cars have. Fortunately I found your very informative video on gutting the PCV, which i did after installing a UPR DVCC. I'm still experiencing the same huge clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust at idle. Is this possibly because I'm not tuned yet? I'm running defoulers to alleviate the CEL until I go ahead and Get it tuned. Is there anything I can do to fix this in the meantime?

I also did the PCV delete 2 days ago and have only put about 80 miles on it since then, should I wait longer for the smoke issue to clear up? And would it help if I ran 93 octane fuel?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
If you have 93oct fuel available you should be running it, you aren't saving any money or doing yourself any favors by using a lower grade fuel.

I would put some more miles on it and report back, we can also look at making a few changes in the tune to assist in getting rid of the smoke issue. Also, could be your oil as well. Always use a good quality oil. I use Liqui-Moly personally, order it right from Amazon with a OEM FL400S filter. Motul, Rotella, and Amsoil are good. I hate Amsoil reps, but the product is good. Not my favorite, but some people like to use it.

I don't want to set myself up for total failure down the road either. It's going to be a little while before I do anything anyway, just curious. Have about 26k miles and have been Adam tuned (back in the MAPerformance days) with zero issues. Adam I actually have yet to install the single tune file I purchased when you started up Tune+, lol. Life has gotten in the way but I'm getting back into the swing of things...
It all depends on how much power you want to make. To this day, I have had ZERO failures with stock blocks and upgraded turbos. I tune without a waiver to roughly the 420whp mark, beyond that it will require a waiver saying you are basically playing with fire. Josh Beasley, the current MT record holder was on stock block with MAP turbo kit and my E85 kit making near 500whp on stock block. Never had an issue, but now I'm building his engine completely to make even more power!

Where are you opening this shop you speak of at?
In the Grapvine/NW Dallas Area.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
In the Grapvine/NW Dallas Area.
whatttt :thumbsup: thanks for showing TX some love considering where you're currently at. I will be making the drive for a dyno tune, I can only assume that will be offered
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.