Sponsored

"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Steeda has been testing a diff cooler system for the on track enthusiast for a few months. It should be available early 2017. It has a heat exchanger and pump very easy install and much more effective than the diff cover option. We will be doing more testing this coming weekend. Plus, it is very inexpensive. Keep you all posted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Steeda is has been testing a diff cooler system for the on track enthusiast for a few months. It should be available early 2017. It has a heat exchanger and pump very easy install and much more effective than the diff cover option. We will be doing more testing this coming weekend. Plus, it is very inexpensive. Keep you all posted.
Oh, ooh. Can't wait for this!:clap2:

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
I'll be a customer if it's effective. Any chance of incorporating a temp sensor for monitoring?

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Just reporting back after my Road Atlanta Track day this past weekend with MVP. I had 6 sessions with no warnings at all, temps were between 33 F - 54 F. I used the same fluid I had back in June at Road Atlanta BG Ultra Guard 75w90 getting the warning after 8-10 laps, so definitely no issues at RA when weather is below 50 F.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I'm likely in, I would like to devise a passive system to cooling the diff vs. having to do coolers, pumps, and lots of pluming. I have access to CNC equipment, a very good machinist, aluminum welder, and fabricator if your guy stalls, please get in touch with me and we can pick up the project and get it done. I will wait to see where you guys end up before I move forward.

Has anyone done a front case swap to an all aluminum diff for track use. I am wondering if the aluminum front case would help to reduce temps vs the cast iron piece we have now?

Dave
I have an aluminum center section laying around and have toyed with the idea. Just need to find the time to tear them both down and swap the differentials. It's on my mind for sure.

Steeda has been testing a diff cooler system for the on track enthusiast for a few months. It should be available early 2017. It has a heat exchanger and pump very easy install and much more effective than the diff cover option. We will be doing more testing this coming weekend. Plus, it is very inexpensive. Keep you all posted.

This would be great. I've been looking at components and locations for a little while. I was also trying to figure out a rear under tray solution like the 350's.

If only there was a way to easily swap the center diffuser for a more cooler friendly style like the 350, without paying the ridiculous price for a diffuser and exhaust, then this would be pretty awesome......:shrug:

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm definitely interested.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I would definitely be interested!

<TED>

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
We will have some data from ours in a couple of weeks from Daytona. Multiple changes we are working on but think it will be compact and light. We are adding a scoop to move more air across it which required a new mounting design. Still exploring adding a pressure fed supply to the pinion bearing.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Is this overheating issue only seen with the Torsen? A cursory look at these threads mostly show PP Mustangs with this problem. Do we see this on the clutch type LSD?

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Is this overheating issue only seen with the Torsen? A cursory look at these threads mostly show PP Mustangs with this problem. Do we see this on the clutch type LSD?
I am pretty sure there is at least one person with a 3.55 in here with the warning.

I think most people who were going to track the cars opted for the PP/3.73

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I am pretty sure there is at least one person with a 3.55 in here with the warning.

I think most people who were going to track the cars opted for the PP/3.73
Pinion speed, not differential related. 3.73 spins faster, input bearing gets hot.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
In our over 29 years of road racing experience we have seen excessive overheating on both Torsen and clutch type.

The S550 is prone to more heat build up because the diff is tucked up in the IRS sub frame.

After several years of testing and national competition , we found that the Ford synthetic gear lube to be the best.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I've had great results from using Nano Pro MT 75W90 gear oil in the diff of my street car as well as my track car, lowering the temps ~10-15*F. The oil has nano particles which reduce friction and increase the heat transfer of the oil to suck the heat out of the gear and improve the efficiency of the cooler.

www.nanopromt.com - available at AutoZone.

Steeda makes great products. I'm looking forward to their diff cooler.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Crickets chirping in this thread for the past two months.... are there any progress reports from Optimum, Steeda, or BMR concerning diffy cooler project updates?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Crickets chirping in this thread for the past two months.... are there any progress reports from Optimum, Steeda, or BMR concerning diffy cooler project updates?
30 minute sessions and the fan never came on at Daytona. 180F shot with a temp gun. Ours seems to work pretty well.
Sponsored