"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I'm likely in, I would like to devise a passive system to cooling the diff vs. having to do coolers, pumps, and lots of pluming. I have access to CNC equipment, a very good machinist, aluminum welder, and fabricator if your guy stalls, please get in touch with me and we can pick up the project and get it done. I will wait to see where you guys end up before I move forward.

Has anyone done a front case swap to an all aluminum diff for track use. I am wondering if the aluminum front case would help to reduce temps vs the cast iron piece we have now?

Dave
I am running AL case now... Will update during season when I cook the seal out of it.. or if it survives...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I mean its been pretty cool out most places. Expect more action when the summer months roll around.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have Road Atlanta and VIR coming up in a month. It'll be the first time I'll have the ability to monitor and log diff temps at the track. Not the heat of the summer by any means, but Atlanta in March can be hot.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I would also be more interested in a passive system; if someone came out with a diff cover that increased capacity and had cooling fins (or some similar design) I'd be first in line to purchase it.

Even for those preferring radiators/cooling lines/pumps/etc, I would think this would still be a desirable product that would help the active system work even better.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I would also be more interested in a passive system; if someone came out with a diff cover that increased capacity and had cooling fins (or some similar design) I'd be first in line to purchase it.

Even for those preferring radiators/cooling lines/pumps/etc, I would think this would still be a desirable product that would help the active system work even better.
It would be interesting to know if this has been addressed ok the '18 cars. Perhaps it is something easily retrofitted.

They didn't have a performance pack at the show so there was nothing to see underneath.

bam2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT W/PerfPack and Recaros. &67 GTA
I just experienced this on my 16 PP GT today at Sebring. I ignored it.. Hit OK and backed off the lap times a bit. After 3 more laps I got a new error that had a wrench on it and said consult manual.?

I pitted that lap and let the car sit and cool off. After 10 min I still had the Real axle temp error.. After about 20 min it was ok..

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
I just experienced this on my 16 PP GT today at Sebring. I ignored it.. Hit OK and backed off the lap times a bit. After 3 more laps I got a new error that had a wrench on it and said consult manual.?

I pitted that lap and let the car sit and cool off. After 10 min I still had the Real axle temp error.. After about 20 min it was ok..
The 2nd code means you need to change the fluid. I went with 75-140 fluid like others have suggested and wrapped the exhaust pipes near the diff. By no means is the problem cured, but it does take longer to get the warning.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Traction control on or off?

bam2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT W/PerfPack and Recaros. &67 GTA
1st time in Sport Mode.. 2nd time with traction control off.

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
30 minute sessions and the fan never came on at Daytona. 180F shot with a temp gun. Ours seems to work pretty well.

Come on man! You can't post that and not give us more info.:)

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if a "Finned Diff cover" will "fix" the overheating but I do know aluminium spreads heat evenly "over the entire surface area". That being a fact, we may just need a finned cover w/ aero an added attraction? Norm, what do you think? I wish you'd buy a 16 GT too, ha!

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Come on man! You can't post that and not give us more info.:)
Optimum has a diff cooling kit for the GTPP. (See their web site). He is giving you the temps that he reached at Daytona with the kit in place. I was there too without the kit and ran about 80 degrees above that (checked after run with a heat gun).

<TED>

BTW, I hope to enter the Chin VIR event in late June. Hope to see you there.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Optimum has a diff cooling kit for the GTPP. (See their web site). He is giving you the temps that he reached at Daytona with the kit in place. I was there too without the kit and ran about 80 degrees above that (checked after run with a heat gun).

<TED>

BTW, I hope to enter the Chin VIR event in late June. Hope to see you there.
I think we may have released some spy shots on FB, but I think I emailed them to [MENTION=22354]tedj101[/MENTION] :ninja:

Ours uses a Setrab cooler with fan and Mocal's top of the line pump.
The Pump Specifications:
Flow 1-3 GPM / 50 psi max rating, 350Âşf maximum temp rating, self-priming, quiet low vibration operation. 10,000 hour rated bearings & motor brushes, hardened bronze pump (spur) gear rotors, black anodized aluminum heatsink, nickel plated pump head, stainless pump head fasteners, 3/8" NPT inlet/outlet, high temperature internal wiring, 3 foot wiring lead, rubber-isolated mounting bracket and feet, dimensions 6.2" x 4.1" x 4.0", weight 6.2 lbs. 12 volt, 5-12 amp* nominal. We wanted something reliable that would not draw much current. Cheaper pumps usually get hot and then the current draw spikes.

We also employed Goodridge and used their latest G-Max 825 product which is simply an amazing product. -8 Hose and fittings but the hose is actually 40% Lighter, 10% larger ID and offers 20% more flow potential over the old school rubber. It also bends like a pretzel because it is a smooth bore PTFE inner liner.

So we want to do some further testing, we may alter the position of the assembly. We wanted to keep it away from damage during an off but still allow air flow over it. We are still working on a single plate mount that will not require any holes to be drilled in the car. The fittings in the stock Mustang rear cover are very tight, it's why we are going to the Shelby rear cover, it offers more clearance and makes setting the fluid level much easier.

We have the harness mostly figured out, we just need to produce it so it is simple to install. This will not be for everyone, completeness and quality come with a price. The space available for a dual purpose street car is challenging.
Axle Cooler.jpg
15325256_10207950691465792_7661650475718108225_o.jpg

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)