Sponsored

I hope the GT350 influences the entire automotive industry

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
All the awards the GT350/R are winning just proves one thing: You don't have to be the fastest to be the best. That a lot of us still care about having a manual transmission, and an NA motor. Jamal and his team poured their heart and soul into the car, and it shows.

They went against the grain, and the whole world fucking loves it. It seems like in a lot of car companies, speed and performance took priority over passion and excitement. They've become mechanical, and methodical in their thinking to the point that their product is fast, and boring.

I hope this car is a wake up call to the rest of the automotive world. That is all. :cheers:
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
It is about the fun factor, this GT350. There are some cars that can out perform it but for the street at least, it doesn't matter. I was on some back roads yesterday thinking that I can't tap the potential of this car without potentially ruining my future. Didn't help that I was driving back home from jury duty...

sweetchuck2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, DIB, Tech package.
One of my favorite things about the GT350 is that you can only get it with a manual transmission.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Question: WHY is this car so much better than the 86 twins?

Toyota and Subaru made a brilliant car - but it's a little slow. Same formula though.

Fun
Light
NA
Manual
Cheap for what you get.

My point is, those aren't selling well. I'm a big believer that the sound alone sold most GT350s.

8250 rpm is key too. If the GT86 spun that high it may sell better.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The twins are under powered by far. Every autocrosser that I've talked to wishes that they threw in the WRX motor from the factory and it would have been perfect.

Sponsored

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would have liked to see the GT350R as the official pace car for the 2016 Indy but they decided to go with the 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary package

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Question: WHY is this car so much better than the 86 twins?

Toyota and Subaru made a brilliant car - but it's a little slow. Same formula though.

Fun
Light
NA
Manual
Cheap for what you get.
I'm sorry, but you completely ignored what really matters in the GT350: Naturally aspirated, Flat-plane Crank, 8250 redline American V8. That's something Toyota, or anyone else will ever have.

There will no longer be NA V8s in the future. There will be plenty of small 4cyl cars. There is absolutely nothing special about the engine in the 86s

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
FPC, NA, American V8 and MagneRide in a Mustang is what sold me on the GT350. The sound is just a bonus. A hell of a bonus, but the engine anf suspension is what I really wanted.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I'm sorry, but you completely ignored what really matters in the GT350: Naturally aspirated, Flat-plane Crank, 8250 redline American V8. That's something Toyota, or anyone else will ever have.

There will no longer be NA V8s in the future. There will be plenty of small 4cyl cars. There is absolutely nothing special about the engine in the 86s
They differ a lot in the engine I agree.

I was trying to compare a total package if you will. More of fun vs fun.

I agree, the Gt350 is super special, and the voodoo was absolutely key for me in the purchase. I wanted a grown up Honda, or a V8 Honda could have produced. This was it for me.

I do disagree on the 86s engine however. I do believe it's the highest hp/L N/A 4 cyl boxer engine ever produced. It has port AND direct injection.

In 2017 guise it makes 102.5HP/L@7000 rpm. Redline of 7400. It's the only of its kind.

Sponsored

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The Twins have a great chassis and are great handling cars. I can speak to this since I owned and tracked one before moving to the GT350 (and out of a BRZ). But, every performance aspect of the car left me (and many others) wanting more, much more.

The hottest aspect of the cars is the aftermarket modding. There are 20+ turbo and supercharger packages; 20+ coilover packages; 20+ exhaust options; lots of tuning packages not directly related to forced induction; at least 10 big brake packages; many wheel options; at least 3 engine swap packages for LS motors, and dozens of one-offs for JDM motors; and the lists go on.

The FA20 boxer is a happy little rev machine, but delicate and limited in its range. Its a torque-less wonder in this day and age. Really, the only way to be happy with the car in comparison to all of the competition is if you really and truly want a light, rear wheel drive, kinda snappy, 200 HP machine. It's all of those things, but it will not grip you or shake you up. And, for all of its handling prowess, it never feels special.

Why don't they sell more? Well, Toyota and Subaru do not advertise them much. And, maybe the strong desire for a light, cheap, awesome handling, RWD sports car really is a vanishing segment of the world market place. I dunno.

In the end, I was always chasing something in the BRZ that I couldn't find . . . until the GT350. Satisfaction at last and no regrets!

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I know, and agree for sure. But...

Fast |= fun all the time.
I dont know what this means, but its slow, period. The whole "drive a slow car fast" mantra is just not my cup of tea. I tried it with a miata and hated every minute of it, but I was also accustomed to riding 600cc bikes at the track so that might be part of it.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I dont know what this means, but its slow, period. The whole "drive a slow car fast" mantra is just not my cup of tea. I tried it with a miata and hated every minute of it, but I was also accustomed to riding 600cc bikes at the track so that might be part of it.
Fast doesn't always equal fun. I'd take my GT350 over my previous GTR all day.

If your accustomed to bikes, a low revving slow car probably won't work for you. An S2000 on the other hand - probably the bench mark for reasonably priced fun.

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
All the awards the GT350/R are winning just proves one thing: You don't have to be the fastest to be the best. That a lot of us still care about having a manual transmission, and an NA motor. Jamal and his team poured their heart and soul into the car, and it shows.

They went against the grain, and the whole world fucking loves it. It seems like in a lot of car companies, speed and performance took priority over passion and excitement. They've become mechanical, and methodical in their thinking to the point that their product is fast, and boring.

I hope this car is a wake up call to the rest of the automotive world. That is all. :cheers:
You do know that 99.99% of the car buying public at large doesn't think like we do, right? Sorry, but while your sentiment may be appreciated on forums like this one, you know deep in your heart that this has less than a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening.

Get your cars now while you still can. Pretty soon all that will be available are e-powered autonomous crapboxes that won't let you deviate off course because "the government doesn't accept your demand to travel on a road without an intended destination, sir."
Sponsored