Sponsored

Z23 vs z26 brake pad and rotor kit

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
hi guys so wondering if u guys can tell why I would choose one of this kits over the other or are they the same thing.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The Z26 pads are intended for slightly/somewhat harder use in street driving. Think muscle cars vs ordinary sedans.

Neither of these pads is a road course track pad, though the Z26 is probably adequate for many autocrossers.

Norm

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
The Z26 pads are intended for slightly/somewhat harder use in street driving. Think muscle cars vs ordinary sedans.

Neither of these pads is a road course track pad, though the Z26 is probably adequate for many autocrossers.

Norm
Have u tried the track pads by any chance? If so how are they for hpde

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Have u tried the track pads by any chance? If so how are they for hpde
No.

But - despite the thread title - there has been some discussion about PS track day pads in this thread. BmacIL seems to be favorably impressed with them, so I'll lateral the ball over to him from here.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No.

But - despite the thread title - there has been some discussion about PS track day pads in this thread. BmacIL seems to be favorably impressed with them, so I'll lateral the ball over to him from here.

Norm
They are quite capable for HPDE and have excellent bite. They handle temperature very well for a streetable pad too. My gripes are with their harshness to rotors when away from the track, and the obscene amount of corrosive dust they make.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Norm and Bmac know their stuff better than just about anybody here or on the outside for that matter.

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
Powerstop makes decent pads, good quality for the money.

Z23 and Z26 are the EXACT SAME COMPOUND. The Z23 uses a rubberized backing plate for comfortable and quiet use, and the Z26 uses a stainless steel backing plate for extra strength and heat tolerance.

I have the Z26 pads in my GTPP 6-piston Brembo’s (front only). I daily the car and regularly autocross (~20 events per season) and the pads work great. My favorite part is that they create virtually zero dust....unlike the stock Brembo pads which are like putting a machine-shop’s Shop-Vac on the “blow” setting and hitting the ON switch.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Powerstop makes decent pads, good quality for the money.

Z23 and Z26 are the EXACT SAME COMPOUND. The Z23 uses a rubberized backing plate for comfortable and quiet use, and the Z26 uses a stainless steel backing plate for extra strength and heat tolerance.

I have the Z26 pads in my GTPP 6-piston Brembo’s (front only). I daily the car and regularly autocross (~20 events per season) and the pads work great. My favorite part is that they create virtually zero dust....unlike the stock Brembo pads which are like putting a machine-shop’s Shop-Vac on the “blow” setting and hitting the ON switch.
The Powerstop Track Day pads are far worse than the stock PP pads for dust, FYI.

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
So I'm seeing that Z23 pads will shorten the life of the rotors because it does not do well with the heat as OEM which will be more prone warping as well. But how much worse and how much shorter is it? Is it that much more noticeable? I just daily drive the vehicle in the North East except in winter where the car is stored but the rest of the year its daily driven and as we all know, the brake dust is a killer...... My rims turn orange as soon as I drive it after a car wash ......

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ if you're only driving on the street, you aren't going to be getting the pads or rotors that hot.

Unless, of course, you're driving in a manner that invites serious jail time, or you're riding the brake pedal a lot, or maybe if you have a good-size early morning paper delivery route for a little extra $.

Norm

Sponsored

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
↑↑↑ if you're only driving on the street, you aren't going to be getting the pads or rotors that hot.

Unless, of course, you're driving in a manner that invites serious jail time, or you're riding the brake pedal a lot, or maybe if you have a good-size early morning paper delivery route for a little extra $.

Norm
LOLLL I won't be driving in a manner that invites serious jail time nor do I do any early morning delivery. I guess I'll pull the trigger on these pads. I love the performance of the OEM pads but them brake dust............. They just IMMEDIATELY come infect those beautiful wheels. I can't keep the wheels looking black for more than 2 hrs after a wash .....

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base

Norm
Hey norm any experience with the track pads from power stop? Are they any good at the track? I have a 17s550

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
None, I'm afraid. Bmac is your go-to guy for PS.

Though it seems PS now has two levels of track pads. "High Performance" and "Advanced".

Norm

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I run Z23 on the street and track day pads for the track (road course). They do very well. The Z23-26 hardly dust at all and the track day pads do as stated above.