Sponsored

Z/28R in Grand Am GS

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--camaro-z-28r-set-to-race-at-daytona?ref=bfv

Not sure how this was allowed to happen as current Boss 302R and even BMW M3 have to run restrictors, but regardless, it appears the Z/28 has been given the go ahead for competition. A friend who races in the series has told me that the Stevenson cars are incredibly quick in testing and a competition adjustment "may happen" before the actual "Roar Before the 24".

According to prior year rules, the Camaro GS.R was given serious weight benefits including lightweight composit fenders and doors, despite this they have only won 6 races in 3 years.

No word on what suspension the car will run, but current rules require 18" wheels with a 285 tire. The street car version runs a 19" wheel and I think a 305 tire. This could limit how much power they can put down. Also no word on whether the ceramic brakes are allowed, and again the Mustang was given a weight penalty when they were allowed to upgrade to the GT500 brake package.

On the plus side, this could force the Porsche teams to finally show their hand, as they consistently set fastest laps last year despite several performance adjustments all year. I said it repeatedly last year that Porsche sandbagged and only showed what they wanted so that they weren't hit with enough penalty to actually level the field. I would have rather seen Porsche show their hand, and othert teams allowed to lift penalties to run to their true potential.
Sponsored